• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ms Marvel comes alive

51 posts in this topic

If Sabertooth's first appearance is a big deal, then this book should be too.

gossip.gif I don't think Sabretooth should be a big deal either.

I grumble when marginal ball players make it into the Hall of Fame, and I grumble when I see the first appearance of marginal comic characters elevated into key issues.

Maybe I'm an old grump before my time. tongue.gif

yay.gif

I watched both X-Men films and had no idea "Mystique" was in them

You don't remember her?

1124rebecca2.jpg

screwy.gif

That's Mystique? Then who's the one with the shock of gray in her hair?

Maybe I should watch with the volume on next time. 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Steve

(who believes the only good X-Men characters were introduced before issue 150 tongue.gif)

now here's an auction i never figured on seeing; Ms Marvel #18 (first mystique) in 9.8 with 5 days to go, already at 51x's 9.2 guide. heaven help us............

The funniest thing about this is that the reserve price hasn't been met at 51x guide! 27_laughing.gif

I noticed her in the first film smile.gif (I haven't actually seen the second)

mystique.jpg

As for the rest, if you're unaware of her, that doesn't really prove anything. I've been aware of her for all of those almost 25 years. It was hard to avoid her with her dozens of appearances in Uncanny X-Men back when I was reading the title, and she's appeared in a billion other books since. I was actually aware of her enough to dig up a half dozen or so copies of her first appearance a few years ago and sell them over the past couple of years for reasonable money, both raw and graded. One example, I sold a CGC 9.2 for $100 in 2003. This isn't the first time collectors have taken notice of this book.

I'm not defending this price (I've rarely, if ever defended a 9.8 bronze price), but the character IS significant.

... but, there's no way any 1/1 9.8 Ms. Marvel is going to make even $100 unless it's this book. It's that simple. A random 9.9 Ms. Marvel would probably have a hard time making what NM copies of #18 have made raw, so to say that it's about not about Mystique is just false. It's selling for what it's selling for because it's a key book and it's a key book because it's the first appearance of Mystique.

Hey Rob,

1, 16 & 17 would, and have reached/broke $100 and then some in 9.8... of course Mystique is the reason.

08/06/02... 2128743396... MS. MARVEL... 1... 9.8... $140.00

05/27/03... 2175733286... MS. MARVEL... 1... 9.8... $99.95

(#2 got $80 once)

07/14/03... 2183600511... MS. MARVEL...16... 9.8... $199.95

11/27/03... 2203044177... MS. MARVEL...16... 9.8... $335.00

09/25/03... 2193759124... MS. MARVEL... 17... 9.8... $179.95

06/09/04... 2248477238... MS. MARVEL... 17... 9.8... $103.63

Good luck though Steve. Looks like you've got them in a frenzy.

You'd think that you people would have the decency to wait until a fellow forum member's auction was over before trying to torpedo it with your doomsaying.

If you don't like the book at this price, then maybe you could at least find it within yourselves to hold off until AFTER the auction to voice your displeasure and disapproval?

Is it really "indecent" to ask a critical question about an ongoing auction? I don't think anyone here has said anything along the lines of wishing DiceX the worst luck possible with this auction. I hope he makes money hand over fist, I sincerely do. But I don' t think that should mean that a person can't ask a question about what seems to be an extraordinarily high reserve for a book. I don't think that such a question necessarily equates to a dose of ill will towards the seller or the sale. I mean, this is a FORUM, right? Not a secret society... confused-smiley-013.gifflowerred.gif

Is it really "indecent" to ask a critical question about an ongoing auction? I don't think anyone here has said anything along the lines of wishing DiceX the worst luck possible with this auction. I hope he makes money hand over fist, I sincerely do. But I don' t think that should mean that a person can't ask a question about what seems to be an extraordinarily high reserve for a book. I don't think that such a question necessarily equates to a dose of ill will towards the seller or the sale. I mean, this is a FORUM, right? Not a secret society... confused-smiley-013.gifflowerred.gif

There is a difference between asking an innocuous question on the one hand, and several pages of "I can't believe the insanity" on the other. You know the difference. I'm not saying don't talk about it. I'm saying have the courtesy to wait until his auction is over before trying to impose your collecting philosophy on others.