• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay looking to get rid of small sellers?

47 posts in this topic

I have just had my ability to sell on ebay revoked after 10 years with 1300+ perfect feedback (I had a negative a few months ago, but the buyer decided he was a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed and removed it). I got three slow shippings from the same buyer (2 of the items got delivered before ebay's estimated time for delivery, one was a day or two later) and a 4th from I don't know who. Everything else is fine (descriptions, communications, etc.). I received a warning from ebay a few months ago after the guy left 3 slow shipping reviews, but after being on the phone with a rep, he reassured me it was something that could be fixed. So now, ebay says, even though I have improved, I haven't gotten the slow shipping numbers down to less than 2% of my feedback for the last year, so I'm done. I just haven't sold a ton in the last year, maybe 100+/- transactions (although many of them were over $100). They ignore your overall history.

SO, basically, one guy who decides you don't ship fast enough (even if you get the stuff to him before ebay's estimated delivery) can effectively get you kicked off ebay after 10 years. Amazing.

SO, basically, one guy who decides you don't ship fast enough (even if you get the stuff to him before ebay's estimated delivery) can effectively get you kicked off ebay after 10 years. Amazing.

Ugh!

I have just had my ability to sell on ebay revoked after 10 years with 1300+ perfect feedback (I had a negative a few months ago, but the buyer decided he was a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed and removed it). I got three slow shippings from the same buyer (2 of the items got delivered before ebay's estimated time for delivery, one was a day or two later) and a 4th from I don't know who. Everything else is fine (descriptions, communications, etc.). I received a warning from ebay a few months ago after the guy left 3 slow shipping reviews, but after being on the phone with a rep, he reassured me it was something that could be fixed. So now, ebay says, even though I have improved, I haven't gotten the slow shipping numbers down to less than 2% of my feedback for the last year, so I'm done. I just haven't sold a ton in the last year, maybe 100+/- transactions (although many of them were over $100). They ignore your overall history.

Sorry I have to believe you are not telling us something here.

I have known many and I mean many eBay sellers who have done much worse than you and sold thousands less and they can sell without any warnings/restrictions.

I believe him...my Ebay account got suspended today. 100% feed back, years of perfect transactions. They said my account was linked to someone else's (who I think would be my brother), and they said that we have used the same IP address, that we were "linked" and it was "risky," out of the Blue...well..I think it might be for the better, as I will not be using Ebay for a while, at least....but I was disappointed and feel that there was no fairness in the way my account was suspended...after 8 years of impeccable feedback...just like that

Sorry I have to believe you are not telling us something here.

I have known many and I mean many eBay sellers who have done much worse than you and sold thousands less and they can sell without any warnings/restrictions.

Dunno what to tell you, my dashboard says I have 4 slow shippings. I have a little under 100 transactions the last year (which surprises me, I thought I had a few more), so I am at 4.08% slow shipping (I have 1 not as described and 1 low communication, but ebay doesn't care about only one). I have no negatives.

3 or 4 months ago my account was limited to like 90 transactions and $8K in sales a month after the guy left 3 slow shipping feedbacks. My ratio was like 4.3% slow shipping after this. I called and asked how I could fix this problem and they said get that 4.3% number below 2% over the next year. That would basically entail me getting 105 more feedbacks with no slow shippings. Apparently they meant get myself under 2% within the next quarter (3 months) and I just haven't sold enough. They even told me I had "improved" my ratio, but not fast enough.

So now I can't sell on ebay. My wife is pizzed off as this was her account. True, I have another account, but that only has like 300 feedback on it.

I believe him...my Ebay account got suspended today. 100% feed back, years of perfect transactions. They said my account was linked to someone else's (who I think would be my brother), and they said that we have used the same IP address, that we were "linked" and it was "risky," out of the Blue...well..I think it might be for the better, as I will not be using Ebay for a while, at least....but I was disappointed and feel that there was no fairness in the way my account was suspended...after 8 years of impeccable feedback...just like that

Interesting. hm

I wonder if ebay are cracking down on comic sellers with multiple or linked accounts due to the amount of scamming that's been going on.

Ebay (who owns Paypal) would surely be losing some money from all that.

Obviously, it's completely unfair to just paint everyone with the same brush, especially long-time sellers with good feedback, but I wonder if it's connected.

C'mon, folks.

The handwriting was on the wall 5 years ago.

First the masking of ID's on high dollar transactions made tracking shills difficult.

Next ALL ID's got masked and shill bidding went through the roof.

Then all the horsepuckey about StarThis and StarThat for feedback made it tough indeed to keep on the good side of our eBay overloards.

Finally, everyone was forced to take paypal (and cough up another slice of profit) whether they wanted to or not.

Screw 'em. I buy stuff to read, an occasional reference book, and that's it. Haven't listed anything in years and I don't miss it.

Walk away.

So i am not the only one , Ebay is treating me like mess , new policies against me ,defending abusive buyers and thiefs and sadly i am still paying them their comisions.

I think Ebay doesn´t want me anymore , i am not the kind of seller bay wants so they are doing everything to discourage me.

You may not want to hear this, but further reflecting on this... If keeping star ratings above 4.3/etc is the name of the game, you may need to lay off those mystery box auctions. Since I know you I'm sure the value is there on the books you're sending, but it's easy for me to imagine a buyer saying "ehh, 4's across the board" if they didn't get a Hulk 181 or whatever.

I agree that it's ridiculous that ebay would ding you given the facts you've laid out.

Did you get kicked off, or have your sales restricted to 5k a month? Same thing happened to a couple other boardies, but they were just restricted.
I'm not sure I would call anyone who does sixty grand a year in eBay sales a "small seller." Or is that sixty thousand actual sales? Either way, that sounds like a business.

You may not want to hear this, but further reflecting on this... If keeping star ratings above 4.3/etc is the name of the game, you may need to lay off those mystery box auctions. Since I know you I'm sure the value is there on the books you're sending, but it's easy for me to imagine a buyer saying "ehh, 4's across the board" if they didn't get a Hulk 181 or whatever.

I agree that it's ridiculous that ebay would ding you given the facts you've laid out.

It was the slow media shipping (and the 1 star three times from the same buyer) that got me on those (and remember, only one of the packages actually got delivered AFTER ebay's estimated time for delivery!). I only got one "not as described" on those (which is a pretty decent ratio...like 1 in 35 on a mystery box were unhappy? and he was apparently not unhappy on the other two boxes..go figure) actually, the name of the game is avoiding 1s and 2s. I don't think the other stuff matters except for the discount you get, your placement in search results, etc.

The key is to not have more than 2% of your feedback in any "star" category consist of 1s or 2s. you can see how one or two disgruntled buyers (of multiple items, in particular) can really kill someone who only sells 10-15 items a month. and comic buyers are easily disgruntled (or are permanently disgruntled to start with)