• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What up with this slab?

108 posts in this topic

D@mmit!! Just read everyone's response that they know him and nice guy and Beachbum's explanation... doh!

I still thought it was a chance to throw in THOC pic! (shrug)

Not showing pictures of what you are actually selling is fine, as long as that is indicated as such.

Really? If you have the book shouldn't you show the actual picture of it? hm

D@mmit!! Just read everyone's response that they know him and nice guy and Beachbum's explanation... doh!

Not showing pictures of what you are actually selling is fine, as long as that is indicated as such.

Lots of people use stock photos when they have more than one of something to sell. As long as it's clearly marked at a stock photo you've given the buyer the information he needs to have. Not using the actual photo could open the seller up to a return/refund situation, but that's his call.

Disclosure is more key than anything, I think.

Lots of people use stock photos when they have more than one of something to sell. As long as it's clearly marked at a stock photo you've given the buyer the information he needs to have. Not using the actual photo could open the seller up to a return/refund situation, but that's his call.

I don't think you can use stock photos on ebay anymore. I had 10 issues of a regular WD, and I used a stock photo. I got an e-mail from eBay saying my listing didn't adhere to the guidelines and I had to put up actual pictures (not stock) or my item would be removed.

I don't think you can use stock photos on ebay anymore. I had 10 issues of a regular WD, and I used a stock photo. I got an e-mail from eBay saying my listing didn't adhere to the guidelines and I had to put up actual pictures (not stock) or my item would be removed.

eBay must be lax in their enforcement then. I was searching today for some random copper book and 5 or 6 sellers all were using stock pics of the book.

eBay must be lax in their enforcement then. I was searching today for some random copper book and 5 or 6 sellers all were using stock pics of the book.

Yeah, I don't know how they choose which auctions to end, but I would get e-mails with a list of auctions that didn't meet their listing standards. I just left the stock pics up, and nothing ever happened.

Yeah, I don't know how they choose which auctions to end, but I would get e-mails with a list of auctions that didn't meet their listing standards. I just left the stock pics up, and nothing ever happened.

I see them all the time

Here's one from mycomicshop, and it's clearly listed as a stock photo:

This stock image is provided to help you identify the issue, but is not the specific item being offered, nor does it represent the grade and condition of the item being offered.

Spider-Man (1990) Silver Edition Unbagged #1 NM

Yeah, I see them all the time too. That's why I was surprised when I got a message from eBay telling me to change it or it would be taken down.

EDIT: Just read the old messages from eBay, and used items can't have a stock photo. That wasn't the reason for their messages to me. Haha...it was something about the pixel size of the photos I was using.

He has a couple of other slabs for sale that are missing serial # and page quality as well.

You're right. Pretty much every slab he has.

THE WALKING DEAD #1 CGC 9.8 Robert Kirkman AMC White Label 2003 RARE $3,299.99

$(KGrHqV,!jEFE4lKjkZyBROP8pGMrg~~60_3.JPG

At least that one looks like it could possibly be 9.8. That other one doesn't look like it would have any chance at a 9.6 does it? His auctions are sketchy to say the least. I scrolled through his feedback, and I didn't see any graded books that he has sold.

Why does the "1st appearance of Rick Grimes... etc" start on the left, right inside the 9.8 box?

Never seen that before, it's always on the right.

He has a couple of other slabs for sale that are missing serial # and page quality as well.

At least that one looks like it could possibly be 9.8. That other one doesn't look like it would have any chance at a 9.6 does it? His auctions are sketchy to say the least. I scrolled through his feedback, and I didn't see any graded books that he has sold.

Why does the "1st appearance of Rick Grimes... etc" start on the left, right inside the 9.8 box?

Because the slab is fake...

Because the slab is fake...

At least he could try harder next time

I believe Mile High's eBay listings are all stock photos -- or were last time I looked. One of a number of reasons I won't buy comics from them. Trade books off their web site when heavily discounted are another matter.

I believe Mile High's eBay listings are all stock photos -- or were last time I looked. One of a number of reasons I won't buy comics from them.
Me too.

More than likely, he's using a slab as the template, and dropping the scans of the actual books inside to show they're graded. In other words, these may well be the actual scans of the books "raw", but not of the actual certified book. This screams bad selling form, because he is likely selling these before they are in hand - worst of all, he is tampering (even if it's just through bad photoshop work) a slab product intended to safeguard consumers against this very activity. I'm going on a hunch here, but I don't think CGC would be a fan of what this seller is doing.

Here's my full post so you can see what the real graded book should look like:

LINK

The listing photo is completely fake. The book, the holder, and the fake label have all been shopped together.

More than likely, he's using a slab as the template, and dropping the scans of the actual books inside to show they're graded. In other words, these may well be the actual scans of the books "raw", but not of the actual certified book. This screams bad selling form, because he is likely selling these before they are in hand - worst of all, he is tampering (even if it's just through bad photoshop work) a slab product intended to safeguard consumers against this very activity. I'm going on a hunch here, but I don't think CGC would be a fan of what this seller is doing.

Exactly.

OK

So Chris called me back and he told me his "employees" must be putting their "bad" photoshop skills to use. He said he will take a look at the listings when he has a chance.

Glad he will get to it. It is a bit odd and screams prank. In the world we live in, it isn't surprising people are concerned about this.

On a side note, is Danger Girl any good? I love some of JSC covers, but Danger Girl just looks like a T and A book and nothing more.