• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allow me to introduce myself

58 posts in this topic

If you're in school at UI Urbana-Champagne, you're just a few years away from being able to buy most of the stuff on your want list. Great school. Welcome to the boards! hi.gif

Thats the one. I actually went here for undergrad as well. It is a good school but after 6 years Chambana starts to wear painfully thin. I hope what you say about my want list is true, the problem is that no matter how much I buy the damn thing never gets any smaller.

hi.gif

I started on the eBay forums, but I outgrew it fast. Had to upgrade here. I too can attest that my knowledge of the hobby grew immensely on all levels. And I'm a more savvy collector now to boot.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!

exactly what he said.............WELCOME.

and might i add that you've made one of the nicest debuts in recent memory. i don't think you could have even pi$$ed off JC with that intro..................... grin.gif

You tell 'em, Grey Matter! 893applaud-thumb.gif

See what i mean 27_laughing.gif But that would be Gray Matter BIG DIFFERANCE here.

Grey was Sir Earl Grey 1764-1845 Eng. statesman; prime minster (1830-34)

Gray Matter would be intellectual capacity;brains.

Maybe I meant that you are a big Tea drinker, you don't know!

Oh, all right! I was tired. There! Dag nabit! Christo_pull_hair.gif27_laughing.gifhail.gif

GRAY MATTER!

Thanks flowerred.gif remember They don't call me The Brain for nothing 27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif

• Administrator

I met the corporate lawyer for the MacArthur Foundation in a bar once right after college, along with his wife. They were an older couple in a post-college bar, so they looked interesting. My friend and I ended up talking to them.

The husband, who was the lawyer, said, "The second most boring thing I ever did in life was study law. The most boring thing was practice it. Screw the money, do what makes you happy."

His wife, who didn't work, and did the whole "involved with charities" etc. etc. thing told us all about how we should strive to make money and become financially stable and pursue things that are lucrative.

confused-smiley-013.gif

hi.gif

I started on the eBay forums, but I outgrew it fast. Had to upgrade here. I too can attest that my knowledge of the hobby grew immensely on all levels. And I'm a more savvy collector now to boot.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!

exactly what he said.............WELCOME.

and might i add that you've made one of the nicest debuts in recent memory. i don't think you could have even pi$$ed off JC with that intro..................... grin.gif

I did make an effort to be magnanimous. I saw what happened to those unfortunate few who entered the boards with flames or criticism. tonofbricks.gif

I met the corporate lawyer for the MacArthur Foundation in a bar once right after college, along with his wife. They were an older couple in a post-college bar, so they looked interesting. My friend and I ended up talking to them.

The husband, who was the lawyer, said, "The second most boring thing I ever did in life was study law. The most boring thing was practice it. Screw the money, do what makes you happy."

His wife, who didn't work, and did the whole "involved with charities" etc. etc. thing told us all about how we should strive to make money and become financially stable and pursue things that are lucrative.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, the whole "grass is greener" mentality. I think I will shoot squarely for the fenceline and find a semi-stressful job that pays semi-well. Either that or join a corporate firm and hope I burn out and become a community college professor before I have my first heart attack.

If I could do it over again, I'd probably skip law school.

I'm finding this conversation very interesting. I always wanted to go to law school, but due to the financial situation of my family, it wasn't a realistic option right out of high school. I've been self-employed since, and have done relatively well for myself, but I still sometimes wish I could've gone to law school.

If any of you lawyers on the board care to elaborate, either here on via PM, why you have the above sentement, I'd be very interested in hearing it.

tth:

I was a prosecutor for four years... and it's great except for the money -- so eventually you want to get out unless you're independently wealthy.

So right. The guys who are prosecutors in major urban areas definitely feel it in the pocketbook. I guess most of the guys (and gals) I know are in less expensive areas, so their salaries stretch a bit further.

As for skipping law school, couldn't agree with you more! frown.gif

I can't believe nobody has asked yet.

are you a "Man of Wealth and Taste?"

Well, I rode a tank, held a general’s rank when the blitzkrieg raged and the bodies stank.

Octoberfire, I like you already! thumbsup2.gif

tth:

I was a prosecutor for four years... and it's great except for the money -- so eventually you want to get out unless you're independently wealthy.

So right. The guys who are prosecutors in major urban areas definitely feel it in the pocketbook. I guess most of the guys (and gals) I know are in less expensive areas, so their salaries stretch a bit further.

Do the lawyers in the large Urban areas also feel some fear of retribution?

tth:

Do the lawyers in the large Urban areas also feel some fear of retribution?

Well, 2 summers ago I worked in the felony trial division of the Cook County State's Attorney's Office in Chicago. For those of you who don't know, that year Chicago had the highest murder rate in the nation and it all fed through that office. So I guess you could arguably say I was in the middle of the largest and most active prosecutors office in the country. One of my favorite questions to ask the people there was if they were ever involved in any scary situations or were ever shot at, threatened, ect. Invariably they replied no. Everyone there had to do a stint in felony review, which is basically when the prosecutor goes to the police station and interviews the suspect, takes statements, ect. Essentially the lawyer oversees some of the process to make sure nothing gets screwed up. So these guys were driving around the worst ghettos imaginable in the middle of the night and none of them ever had any problems. I was floored. The scariest story they had was that a secretary got hit over the head and had her car stolen by a guy who had escaped from one of the nearby jails. A far cry from the whizzing bullets and explosions I had imagined! Never heard a single story about a lawyer getting stalked or threatened outside of work.

fear of retribution... not for me, not really. Here in Philly, I was always of the attitude that if some criminal wanted to come after you, they could, but honestly most of them aren't bright enough to do so. Most that are smart enough realize you're just doing a job, and your job is just to put a stop to them.

Occasionally we'll have incidents like a time a DA was shot at (that was about a year ago) and an intern was stabbed this summer on the front steps (a week after I resigned) but neither was specifically related to any case.

BOC:

Yes, i agree, lawyers do like saying they're lawyers, but I've found that most times, they're asked after about five minutes because we're so disgustingly obvious in the way we talk.