• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mold on a book

21 posts in this topic

I have a great book with a bc with some bunches of mold on it.

Does anyone know of a way to try to remove mold that some may not consider restoration? I have in mind a white eraser, but I'm not sure if it will remove mold or if it would be considered resto.

Any thoughts welcome.

I know you were asking about resto options, but here is an example of how bc mold can affect grade. Hope that helps you or anyone else who stumbles upon this thread.

<a  href=IMG_0084_zpse09d75e4.jpg' alt='IMG_0084_

IMG_0085_zps7787c011.jpg

IMG_0086_zpsaa21ae0c.jpg

Not familiar with the process so this is not an answer, more a question, but wouldn't a press and dry clean take care of the mold?

Dry cleaning may remove some of the surface mold. However, I believe that mold actually lives inside the paper as well, which dry cleaning will not reach.

A hardcore "wet cleaning" by an expert may do the trick though. However, this would definitely be considered restoration.

Also, pressing, basically, only helps make a book flat. It would do nothing to the mold.

Interesting, boboset.

My mold is also the yellow kind, i don't think it is black. I'm going to see if I can get pics up at some point. The answers about dry cleaning and surface mold is what I had in mind.

The book is not worth pro resto, either in cost or consequence in my case. It's a SA Avengers ish.

Not familiar with the process so this is not an answer, more a question, but wouldn't a press and dry clean take care of the mold?

Dry cleaning may remove some of the surface mold. However, I believe that mold actually lives inside the paper as well, which dry cleaning will not reach.

A hardcore "wet cleaning" by an expert may do the trick though. However, this would definitely be considered restoration.

Also, pressing, basically, only helps make a book flat. It would do nothing to the mold.

I believe the heat from the pressing would actually kill the mold. You could also stick it in the freezer for awhile, too. Most molds are not able to grow below 40 degrees or above 100 degrees. Chances are, the mold is already dead - but you could do either from orbit to make sure.

I believe the heat from the pressing would actually kill the mold. You could also stick it in the freezer for awhile, too. Most molds are not able to grow below 40 degrees or above 100 degrees. Chances are, the mold is already dead - but you could do either from orbit to make sure.

That's kind of where I was going with the press idea - the extreme heat element. Not the orbital approach :lol:

Loving this. I'm actually not so sure it is dead. I'm going to put it in the freezer. I'll either live to regret it or not.

Here are pics of the book. It's an Avengers 57 which doesn't have the problem on the front...

9486747982_84b160d4a0_n.jpg

front

And here is the back. doh!

9483949793_e29cc80e81_n.jpg

back

Loving this. I'm actually not so sure it is dead. I'm going to put it in the freezer. I'll either live to regret it or not.

Here are pics of the book. It's an Avengers 57 which doesn't have the problem on the front...

9486747982_84b160d4a0_n.jpg

front

And here is the back. doh!

9483949793_e29cc80e81_n.jpg

back

I believe that would be called "foxing". Foxing may be caused by fungus or mold, but according to Wikipedia, no one is exactly sure what causes it.