• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Holy Grail Acquired!!!!!!!!!!!

33 posts in this topic

Some people have only one Holy Grail but I have many. This is 7 issues of Red Falcon Adventures from 1937. They are labeled as Big little books but I feel as though they don't fit the criteria for a BLB. They are 8 page giveaways hardly a BLB. I have never before seen even one for sale. When 7 became available all at once, I could not believe it! I cannot stress how rare these things are. These books are probably the 3rd rarest items in my collection. When the UPS man pulled up to my house yesterday, I almost had tears in my eyes!!!!! lol

RedFalcon001_zps25651b79.jpg

Wow, fascinating!

RedFalcon001_zps25651b79.jpg

+1!

Not a format that had a lot of staying power I guess lol but very cool to see.

Are they accordian-fold format inside (i.e. a bunch of circles diecut & folded from one continuous sheet of paper) ?

More about these here via HAKES:

http://www.hakes.com/item.asp?Auction=209&ItemNo=124946

Item Description

Lot of seven 2-1/8x2-3/8" paper booklets that unfold to 8.5" in length. ©1937 Sealright Co. Inc. ACC# F61-1 and also listed in the Hake Pop Culture Guide on page 322. Each front cover features image of Red Falcon and/or his plane. One additional panel has bw art, all other panels have story text. Back cover text notes "Every Red Falcon Cup Has A Complete Story Attached-Fifty Different Episodes." This lot includes numbers 1,3,4,6-8 and 10. #10 is the highest we have seen in this series so unsure if all 50 were actually produced. Lightly age toning but overall lot is Exc. to NM. A very rare series. From the Robert M. Overstreet Collection and comes with COA

Thanx everyone!!!!! These booklets are quite unknown. I think they are ice cream caps. They unfold to 8 pages and have text and one picture on the cover and one picture on the inside. I had been looking for these ever since a friend told me about this guide called The Hake's guide and told me there are plenty of interesting things in there for comic collectors. Little did I know and years later, I found out The Red Falcon is listed under BLB in the Overstreet. The interesting thing is I know of no other comics or blb that The Red Falcon appears in.

Congratulations, what a neat find and a perfect match for your collection. It is fun to see the innovative uses of comics in marketing back then; this particular idea obviously didn't catch on which is why these books are so cool.