• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Copper 200: The Most Important Independent Comics (1984-1992)

177 posts in this topic

Thanks everyone!

I proudly managed to stump even nick with my golden age book :gossip:

What was the question?

i discovered there foreign price variants on some golden age superman comics and i was trying to authenticate or verify the respective prices because the comics were issued at the same time

same books, same time, different pence prices. but you gotta give nick some credit because he at least knew of a pence expert that schooled me (thumbs u

some of those old pre-1960 comics dont have proper galleries or databases to even verify and of course none in CGC census so they wouldnt be able to tell you anything, let alone authenticate them properly

Thanks to whoever gave me nicks info he is a great guy!!!

Thanks everyone!

What was the question?

i discovered there foreign price variants on some golden age superman comics and i was trying to authenticate or verify the respective prices because the comics were issued at the same time

same books, same time, different pence prices. but you gotta give nick some credit because he at least knew of a pence expert that schooled me (thumbs u

some of those old pre-1960 comics dont have proper galleries or databases to even verify and of course none in CGC census so they wouldnt be able to tell you anything, let alone authenticate them properly

For reference to Pence comics.

We started working on Marvel first, but plan to do it all eventually.

This is still a long way from complete but it is something we are slowly pulling together, I have lots of books scanned, I just need the time to get this updated.

A to Z Pence threads

A - B

C - D

Thanks everyone!

What was the question?

This is still a long way from complete but it is something we are slowly pulling together, I have lots of books scanned, I just need the time to get this updated.

A to Z Pence threads

A - B

C - D

wow that is very impressive! as a foreign lover i know that is a crazy task where some books dont even have galleries for reference. Kudos to you guys!

After emailing half a dozen Golden Age Dealers and they referring me to some pence collecting experts, there is no confirmed UK Pence DC Comic online presence.

There is however Australian pence galleries and they can easily be mistaken for one another. in the 1950's, DC Comics were published simultaneously with a price of 8Din Australia and 6D in United Kingdom

8d means eight pennies (after the Roman unit denarius). Up until 1971, Britain used a different monetary system than today. The largest unit was one pound sterling, this was subdivided into 240 pence or pennies. These in turn were subdivided into halfpennies or ha'pennies which themselves were split into farthings. If one looks at the coins (in the 1950s) there was a sixpence (6 pennies) a shilling (12 pennies), a florin (24 pennies) and a crown (30 pennies). A guinea was one pound and one shilling. As a rough guide, a British farm labourer in the late Victorian period would earn about eighteen shillings a week, usually with free accommodation.

Thanks everyone!

What was the question?

A to Z Pence threads

A - B

C - D

wow that is very impressive! as a foreign lover i know that is a crazy task where some books dont even have galleries for reference. Kudos to you guys!

After emailing half a dozen Golden Age Dealers and they referring me to some pence collecting experts, there is no confirmed UK Pence DC Comic online presence.

There is however Australian pence galleries and they can easily be mistaken for one another. in the 1950's, DC Comics were published simultaneously with a price of 8Din Australia and 6D in United Kingdom

8d means eight pennies (after the Roman unit denarius). Up until 1971, Britain used a different monetary system than today. The largest unit was one pound sterling, this was subdivided into 240 pence or pennies. These in turn were subdivided into halfpennies or ha'pennies which themselves were split into farthings. If one looks at the coins (in the 1950s) there was a sixpence (6 pennies) a shilling (12 pennies), a florin (24 pennies) and a crown (30 pennies). A guinea was one pound and one shilling. As a rough guide, a British farm labourer in the late Victorian period would earn about eighteen shillings a week, usually with free accommodation.

Yeah the Aussie and British reprints of US comics are not to be confused with US printed pence copies.

I am just old enough to remember old money, nightmare :insane:

they had US copies with pence prices on hem? now that I did not know...

I am only aware of UK, Australia, and New Zealand pence copies

He means regular US-production pence copies of American comics for distribution elsewhere, as opposed to British reprints manufactured in the UK for distribution in the UK

He means regular US-production pence copies of American comics for distribution elsewhere, as opposed to British reprints manufactured in the UK for distribution in the UK

what are some examples of US printed pence copies versus foreign produced pence copies?

what are some examples of US printed pence copies versus foreign produced pence copies?

Thanks for the clarification Sean.

All of the books in my above link to Pence threads were produced in the US for the UK market.

one of the top golden keys is first Superman Batman team-up in Worlds Finest #71

it is one the few books that had a 8D and also a 6D price.....

Gerber listed the WF71 as a Level 7 (1-50 copies to exist) but very innacurate

but its still a low CGC census of 48 books

'80s:

Airboy #5 (Dave Stevens Valkyrie cover)

Jon Sable #1

DNAgents #1

Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters #1 (c'mon, it was so good)

'90s:

Shi: The Way of the Warrior #1

Vampirella (Harris) Mini-Series #1

Witchblade #1

Johnny the Homicidal Maniac #1

Lenore the Cute Little Dead Girl #1

'80s:

Airboy #5 (Dave Stevens Valkyrie cover)

Jon Sable #1

DNAgents #1

Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters #1 (c'mon, it was so good)

'90s:

Shi: The Way of the Warrior #1

Vampirella (Harris) Mini-Series #1

Witchblade #1

Johnny the Homicidal Maniac #1

Lenore the Cute Little Dead Girl #1

:applause:

You guys would have loved my haul from today at the LCS. In a box on the floor, just off behind a bunch of other stuff out of the way I found (and bought!) the following:

Return of the Jedi #1

American Flagg #1 (guy had at least 20 copies!) I got 2

American Flagg #2 (only copy :shrug:)

Jon Sable #1 x 2

Vigilante #1

Avengers #66 (don't even ask how that was in with all these others but it was)

Nexus #6

Somerset Holmes #1

Atari Force #1

Love and Rockets #5

and a magazine called Yearnings with a cover by Wendy Pini who I will see at DragonCon on Sunday :whee: (Can you say SS?)

Grand total for all this swag was $XX! I bet I sell the Avengers 66 for that! It's in real nice shape!

After I read that, I decided it was more bragging than letting you guys know that I found NM copies of a bunch of great books from this era :applause: