• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reproduction covers? Where do you find them?

57 posts in this topic

Hey I bought a book off Ebay and it is coverless.... which is the only way I could ever afford this golden age book... I wanted to get a repro cover for it ... just for display reasons... I know they exist I have seen people sale books with repro covers and have seen people offer repro covers... I have always bought complete books so I don't even know if its legal to make repro covers ... just looking for some info

Contact the board member "Fedoraman", he's made a lot of reproduction covers for me, and they are very high quality and reasonably priced.

+1 (thumbs u He does fantastic work.

Depends on the quality of reproduction you want. There are quality differences between doing one off your desktop printer, to doing one on a high-quality inkjet printer to doing one on a digital press. It's probably a matter of personal preference whether someone wants a simple placeholder cover, or something that looks and feels like a real cover.

It'd be great to see Fedoraman's work if you opt to go that route!

I went ahead and ordered the cover from him .... I'll upload a picture of the book once I get it together ... It's and action comics 5 so I'm pretty excited to have an early superman even if it will have a reproduction cover

I went ahead and ordered the cover from him .... I'll upload a picture of the book once I get it together ... It's and action comics 5 so I'm pretty excited to have an early superman even if it will have a reproduction cover

very cool grats. Can't wait to see the finished book

They do look and feel like the real deal, here's a TEC #29 cover he did for me:

7125003843_bf59b49832_c.jpg

7125004903_7d4dde1911_c.jpg

7125004561_6d1efae2e2_c.jpg

Did Fedoraman attach that cover to the staples for you or did you do it yourself? I have a Sup 1, ASM 1 and Showcase 4 I want to do this with. I was hoping if I CGCed them that the books would come back Blue and not Purple. Anybody have experience with that? As well, if I have the book signed on the first page and CGC SS and eventually have the cover added, will it still maintain its status? I know Fedoraman also has repros of wraps.

They do look and feel like the real deal, here's a TEC #29 cover he did for me:

7125003843_bf59b49832_c.jpg

7125004903_7d4dde1911_c.jpg

7125004561_6d1efae2e2_c.jpg

Did Fedoraman attach that cover to the staples for you or did you do it yourself? I have a Sup 1, ASM 1 and Showcase 4 I want to do this with. I was hoping if I CGCed them that the books would come back Blue and not Purple. Anybody have experience with that? As well, if I have the book signed on the first page and CGC SS and eventually have the cover added, will it still maintain its status? I know Fedoraman also has repros of wraps.

I've seen books that were purple labels that got CGC SS graded afterwards and received a yellow/purple label. How would a NG Blue grade if a sig were added later with a repro cover? hm Interesting concept.

So here is my Planet Comics #1. The interior pages just look like a book that has been coverless for some time. The condition of the cover suggests either a reproduction like the ones in this thread, or a married cover. The cover has sharp corners and no tears and the spine is excellent. It is possible it was restored but I find evidence of restoration difficult to detect.

PlanetComics1front_zps7fcb6e31.jpg

003_zpsbe90c3bf.jpg

The interior pages are quite dirty, and as expected get better color and condition wise the further into the book you go. The outside wrap has some mold. My gut is that the book was without a cover for some length of time.

The cover is either a very well repaired restored, possibly a married cover or a reproduction.

My concern is that if this is a reproduction cover attached to a coverless book then the price paid is not what it should be.

Is there any kind of "test" I can do myself to determine if this is a repro cover?

Does the cover feel like glossy newsprint or does it feel like heavier stock? Most reproductions are done on heavier stock. You can also use a microscope or magnifying glass to see how the ink is on the paper. Modern ink printers have a distinctive look. Look closely at a genuine older cover from that time period and see how the ink is applied is similar or very different in appearance. It is not a definitive approach, but should give you a better idea.

Does the cover feel like glossy newsprint or does it feel like heavier stock? Most reproductions are done on heavier stock. You can also use a microscope or magnifying glass to see how the ink is on the paper. Modern ink printers have a distinctive look. Look closely at a genuine older cover from that time period and see how the ink is applied is similar or very different in appearance. It is not a definitive approach, but should give you a better idea.

Thanks for the suggestions Ari.

I compared the feel of the paper to my other Planets ( specifically my 22, 25 and 27 ) and it is similar in weight, feel and how it bends/ moves. I can't really tell the difference to be honest. I will try a magnifying glass.