• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nick Fury #1 CGC 9.9 on Pedigree Comics

79 posts in this topic

If I'm not mistaken, there was a big warehouse find of Nick Fury #1s and possibly some other circa-1968 Marvel books, right? This sounds like a real risky purchase to me for a book that is not uncommon in high grade.

Although there is only the single 9.9 in the census, there are a bucketload of 9.8 and 9.6 copies of this book. Back when he ran World's Finest Comics, Mark Wilson found a warehouse full of unread 1968 Marvels, including this book, Iron Man 1 and 2, Subby 1 and 2, Iron Man-Subby 1, Cap 100, Dr. Strange 169, Hulk 102, Capt Marvel 1 and 2, and the two Spectacular Spiderman mags. You could buy any of these books in VF/NM, NM-, NM, NM+, or NM/M condition. I believe the Boston and Mile High II collections may be filled with multiples of these books as well.

If you gotta own the best, then I guess you pay what it takes to acquire a 9.9. If, like me, you can't tell the diff between books in the 9.6 - 9.9 category, then there are far cheaper but still killer alternatives.

but Greggy, losing $$ on a 'flip' is one thing, but not more than HALF??? If Doug really paid 11K for it, dont you think he would have at least asked 11K on his site? Makes no sense tonot even TRY to recoup. Perhaps he's only into it for 5K now after a few trades where he got the other 6K out already....but Id still start at what I paid for it.

Wouldnt you?

Like I said, all I heard was what the buyer sold the book for. Whether it went through many deals with cash/trade or if it was sold to Doug directly, I don't know. Plus, who says that even someone with Doug's comic business acumen that he can't lose $$ on a book. It may be a 9.9 but it's still a Nick Fury 1. confused-smiley-013.gif

Dougs a big boy and either way hes doing only what makes sense to him. I just cant imagine him selling for half what he paid, so Im gonna believe that hes only into it for something south of 5K. He surely doesnt need another 5K so badly that he has to lose 6K to raise that amount of dough.

but, as you say.... confused-smiley-013.gif

I gotta agree with Paull on this one, doesn't really make much sense to me pay boatloads for 9.9 when there's a plentiful amount of 9.6's and 9.8's floating around out there. Really, who can tell a .10 difference between two books unless you're looking at them under a microscope? The attraction to this book seems, to me, to have more to do with status and ego than it does the joy of comic collecting. It's comparable to the stupid money that a Secret Wars #8 CGC'd at 9.9 will go for an ebay. You can get a 9.8 for about a hundred bucks, and theres HUNDREDS of those suckers slabbed in NM on the census. Seems to me that even if you're going into comics strictly for investment purposes (a crapshoot if ever there was one), there are much smarter purchases out there.

Who out there willing to spend big money for a 9.9 , would trust themselves to pick the raw 9.9 out of a stack of otherwise raw 9.6 & 9.8 copies of a given book?

thats true.... but misses my point. My point is who here really sees value in paying so much MORE for so little less?? Is one tiny fleck less worth 100% the price MORE??? Especially when there is a census well stocked with 9.8s????

If I'm not mistaken, there was a big warehouse find of Nick Fury #1s and possibly some other circa-1968 Marvel books, right? This sounds like a real risky purchase to me for a book that is not uncommon in high grade.

Absolutely right. Check out the census numbers for this book. If a relatively unpopular and insignificant book like Nick Fury #1 in 9.9 goes for "only" $5K, what in the world would relatively popular and important books like Captain American #100 or Iron Man #1 go for in 9.9? By the way, the census shows TWO 9.9 copies EACH for Cap 100 and IM 1. That was one heckuva warehouse.

Who out there willing to spend big money for a 9.9 , would trust themselves to pick the raw 9.9 out of a stack of otherwise raw 9.6 & 9.8 copies of a given book?

thats true.... but misses my point. My point is who here really sees value in paying so much MORE for so little less?? Is one tiny fleck less worth 100% the price MORE??? Especially when there is a census well stocked with 9.8s????

my analogy to this situation would be buying a bottle of good Champagne.

i can get a very nice Dom Perignon for around $100/bottle.

OR, i can get 3 nice Veuve Cliquot non vintage bottles for the same $100.

quite frankly, my palate isn't discernible enough to warrant the extra bucks on the finer wine. PLUS, i'd rather have 3 nice bottles............ grin.gif

so i could get the book i want in 9.8, or purchase it and two close cousins in 9.4 for the same money..........and maybe have enough left over to get the Dom Perignon anyway thumbsup2.gif

One thing I disagree with is this:

"If a relatively unpopular and insignificant book like Nick Fury #1"

Unpopular and insignificant? That book is one of my favorite all-time comics! Steranko cover and interior! Are you kidding me? smile.gif

It is my opinion that there are very few collectors who are the "have to have the best" types. But, it only really takes ONE, to make the sale.

There are however, lots of (as proven by this board), "must have a very high-grade" types. How high-grade depends on the book and scarcity in high-grade.

I agree... these kind of buyers are a rarity. A 9.4 book for me is perfectly fine... and I still wouldn't pay a premium for that. Then again, my criteria for a lot of the books I buy is "cover attached at both staples, no chunks missing?" smile.gif

All I know is that this book in particular, Nick Fury #1, is a bad investment based on the number of super high-grade books that exist. Let's say a couple more 9.9 books surface, what happens to that investment?

Unpopular and insignificant? That book is one of my favorite all-time comics! Steranko cover and interior! Are you kidding me? smile.gif

Heh heh, I figured I'd get a rise out of somebody with that comment. devil.gif But I WAS semi-serious, as Nick Fury never turned into a major character nor did his title run for very long, unlike the other members of the Class of '68 "# 1s" (Cap, Subby, Iron Man and Hulk).

Heh heh, I figured I'd get a rise out of somebody with that comment. devil.gif But I WAS semi-serious, as Nick Fury never turned into a major character nor did his title run for very long, unlike the other members of the Class of '68 "# 1s" (Cap, Subby, Iron Man and Hulk).

figured you couldn't expect to get away with that comment!!!!!!!! grin.gif

i kinda agree only because i never purchased a SGT Fury (except # 13 with CAP) and the Shield thing came about after i'd stopped collecting, but assumed there were tons of fans out there, nonetheless............