• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nice little GA collection I lucked into tonight.

90 posts in this topic

I don't have these in hand yet (hence the bad photos), but it looks like I may have lucked into a nice little collection. I'll post better photos when I get them.

These were just pulled out of the garage of a guy's father who recently passed.

The guy told me a few of them have bug bites, but none of them have water stains, no brittle pieces, all of the covers are still attached, and after I questioned him about condition he said 3 or 4 of them look absolutely brand new. Hard to tell from the photos, but they look like they have good potential. The All-Star 8 has some creases and maybe a tiny piece out of the top, but I'm hoping when I get it in hand that it's at least a 3.0.

He told me he's not done pulling stuff out of the garage, so I've got my fingers crossed for another box of comics in there.

What do you think?

get-attachment-13aspx_zps853d8379.jpeg

get-attachment-14aspx_zps79e6ea73.jpeg

get-attachment-15aspx_zps2ff93949.jpeg

get-attachment-16aspx_zps6758cc4f.jpeg

get-attachment-17aspx_zps766c63b4.jpeg

The stuff that dreams are made of.

great find! It's gotta be one of the best eBay GA finds that turned out so well (thumbs u

Yup, it floored me when he said he would sell them to me. I've tried making an offer a few times on auctions and it NEVER happens. The guy was super friendly. I enjoyed listening to him tell me about finding them in the garage.

And the best part was when he told me THERE MIGHT BE MORE.

And he said he would give me 1st dibs. woo hoo, I hope he finds more.... who knows what could be in there.

Gotta love the idea that there could possibly be more. Congrats again :)

It's great that 70 years after publication there are still finds like this coming on the scene. It just goes to show that there are forgotten boxes still out there with piles of comics in them waiting to be discovered by some lucky individual. Not only that but an All Star 8 and a Superman 14; can't beat that.

Congratulations!

Great Catch! :banana:

We both fish in the same ebay stream. Good to hear you caught a big one. Keeps me motivated to continue the trolling. I use a similar strategy. Albeit, I try to limit my scope to within driving distance.

Your story reminds me of how I got a Superman #1 that wasn't even offered on eBay. The guy had a Batman #8 listed at the time. I emailed him with my telephone number and he called me back. :ohnoez:

From which state did you find the collection?

Great Catch! :banana:

We both fish in the same ebay stream. Good to hear you caught a big one. Keeps me motivated to continue the trolling. I use a similar strategy. Albeit, I try to limit my scope to within driving distance.

Your story reminds me of how I got a Superman #1 that wasn't even offered on eBay. The guy had a Batman #8 listed at the time. I emailed him with my telephone number and he called me back. :ohnoez:

From which state did you find the collection?

Came out of a garage in Iowa. Sounds like it might have been a farm house.

I had to go out of town yesterday on a business trip so I STILL haven't seen the comics yet. It's KILLING me. I'll start posting photos on Tuesday when I get back home.

Do you remember a large collection of Superman comics you won on eBay from Indiana about four years ago? I offered to buy the collection from the owner after seeing them in person, but he wouldn't end the auction early. I did get the #13 and #14. I remember you buying most of the rest.

Do you remember a large collection of Superman comics you won on eBay from Indiana about four years ago? I offered to buy the collection from the owner after seeing them in person, but he wouldn't end the auction early. I did get the #13 and #14. I remember you buying most of the rest.

I was just getting back into the hobby at that time. I paid $14,000 for all of those Action & Superman comics. I decided to flip them because I thought, "I'll see these collections come up a few times a year." I didn't realize I was seeing a once or twice in a lifetime collection.

Half the comics were high grade and maybe 5 of them were 9.2 to 9.4.

I flipped them and made a quick $7000 profit, but I was a fool and I have huge regrets, because as we all know those collections rarely come up. I knew nothing about CGC at that time. I knew nothing about pressing. I didn't know these boards existed. I might have had the highest graded copies of a few of those Action comics and I let them go. Foolish. Huge regrets. But.... a great learning experience. I know a lot more about comics now.

I made a lot of people happy when I sold those comics. I've always wondered where they all went. When I see high graded slabbed copies come up I wonder if they were from that collection.

Do you still have the #13 & #14?

I was invited to the owners office to look at the tall stack of comics. I remember driving an hour thru about six inches of snow on a Sunday to get there. I offered to buy the collection on the spot. Having seen the collection, I decided I wanted #13 and #14, so I bid aggressively on them.

Back then, ebay didn't hide the winner name of auctions, so I became aquatinted with your username real fast. I watched as you resold the collection. (thumbs u

Yes, I still have the Superman #13 and #14. If you recall, some of the comics had old archive tape on the staples. I had both comics restored to 5.0. I put them on display in my office about once a year for a few weeks. :headbang:

I'd post pictures, but my photobucket files are not loading.

In five years of ebay trolling, I've caught only four 'big' collections off-ebay. I'm strictly a collector. Trying to negotiate deals off ebay is part of the fun of the hobby.

I was invited to the owners office to look at the tall stack of comics. I remember driving an hour thru about six inches of snow on a Sunday to get there. I offered to buy the collection on the spot. Having seen the collection, I decided I wanted #13 and #14, so I bid aggressively on them.

Back then, ebay didn't hide the winner name of auctions, so I became aquatinted with your username real fast. I watched as you resold the collection. (thumbs u

Yes, I still have the Superman #13 and #14. If you recall, some of the comics had old archive tape on the staples. I had both comics restored to 5.0. I put them on display in my office about once a year for a few weeks. :headbang:

I'd post pictures, but my photobucket files are not loading.

In five years of ebay trolling, I've caught only four 'big' collections off-ebay. I'm strictly a collector. Trying to negotiate deals off ebay is part of the fun of the hobby.

That Superman/Action collection was the collection that I proved to my fiance' that comics could be a good investment. I decided I would bid $14,000 on the auctions but I only had $7000. My fiance' gave me the other $7000. I won the auctions at my full bid ($14,000) and flipped them. A month later I had a $7000 profit and it was such a nice "I told you so" feeling to hand her her $3500 half of the profit.

She has trusted me to invest for her in comics ever since. So far I have never lost money for her on a comic.

I got the collection today.

Slightly disappointed at the amount of bug chews in the comics. All the comics ended up being complete EXCEPT for the All-Star 8 (cf is missing...aaaarrrgh!!!)

Even so, I did ok and a couple of these are pretty nice.... I was just wishing for a little better.

Here's the AS-8. This is not a grading forum but if anyone wants to throw any grades out I'd be obliged. Mostly I'm just showing off a nice new raw collection.

Here's All Star 8. Cover is attached at both staples. CF missing. next cf is detached at staples.

get-attachment-21aspx_zpsc1accd49.jpeg