• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nice little GA collection I lucked into tonight.

90 posts in this topic

Beautiful cover.

jumbo 53. Not too bad except for a 1" bug chew along the lower spine and a hint of bug chew by the price. A couple small flaws on the back cover.

What a beautifully drawn cover. I might need some more Sheena comics.

get-attachment-22aspx_zps5b29092d.jpeg

Anyone else think they used a Barbie with two left feet? :cloud9:

I don't think there were any Barbies yet...but see that?

I don't have these in hand yet (hence the bad photos), but it looks like I may have lucked into a nice little collection. I'll post better photos when I get them.

These were just pulled out of the garage of a guy's father who recently passed.

The guy told me a few of them have bug bites, but none of them have water stains, no brittle pieces, all of the covers are still attached, and after I questioned him about condition he said 3 or 4 of them look absolutely brand new. Hard to tell from the photos, but they look like they have good potential. The All-Star 8 has some creases and maybe a tiny piece out of the top, but I'm hoping when I get it in hand that it's at least a 3.0.

He told me he's not done pulling stuff out of the garage, so I've got my fingers crossed for another box of comics in there.

What do you think?

get-attachment-13aspx_zps853d8379.jpeg

get-attachment-14aspx_zps79e6ea73.jpeg

get-attachment-15aspx_zps2ff93949.jpeg

get-attachment-16aspx_zps6758cc4f.jpeg

get-attachment-17aspx_zps766c63b4.jpeg

doesn't look like comics at all

:sorry:

Beautiful cover.

jumbo 53. Not too bad except for a 1" bug chew along the lower spine and a hint of bug chew by the price. A couple small flaws on the back cover.

Who's looking at her feet?

Beautiful cover.

Who's looking at her feet?

The artists didn't look at feet either.Have you seen some of the hands & feet Alberto Varga did? Six fingers on some but if it hadn't been pointed out to me I'd have never noticed.

Over in the Grading and Restoration forum, you started threads asking about trimming these books and also taping them which you've already done according to your post. I would strongly recommend neither approach, and suspect the majority of the GA forum would agree.

Over in the Grading and Restoration forum, you started threads asking about trimming these books and also taping them which you've already done according to your post. I would strongly recommend neither approach, and suspect the majority of the GA forum would agree.

There has been no trimming or taping to ANY of these books!

The taping question was for another small collection of GA I found last Friday. The spines looked horrible with splits and pieces everywhere. I didn't mind at all using a small amount of archival tape on the inside covers to make them present better. I just wondered if that automatically made them PLODs (I'm still not positive what CGCs new tape policy is)

As far as the Trimming question..... I was kind of playing devils advocate, but I found you get crucified on the boards for even suggesting it.

I posted my Superman 14 from this collection on the "Spare a Grade" forum and one person suggested that the value might go up if I trimmed the edge (because it has rat chews along the edge).

That's why I posted the Trimming question in the "Resto" forum. Again, outrage there.

I understand that everyone here is more of a comic purist and hates trimming, but I wanted my question answered from a purely financial point of view (I don't think I made that clear when I posted it).

Let me present this one last time....

Let's only take the Superman 14 as an example (has rat chews slightly affecting every page on the right side). In the grading forum the consensus was 2.0 with 1 person saying 1.8 and a couple saying 2.5, but definitly a LOW grade.

If it got a 1.8, GPA shows there was a sale last year for $500.

Even at a 3.5 (which I don't see this comic achieving) GPA shows there was a sale this year at only $900

Now, I think with slight color touch, a trim, a top staple reinforcement, and a CF reattach that this comic could go to 7.0-7.5. (maybe I'm being way too optimistic here)

There was a 7.5 EP that sold for $1400 this year. And that was an "Extreme" resto job.

There was an 8.5 SA that sold for $3100 a few years ago.

See what I mean? Financially, this might be a case where a trim makes it worth more. I don't think anyone would dream of giving me $1400 for it the way it is now.

The taping question was for another small collection of GA I found last Friday. The spines looked horrible with splits and pieces everywhere. I didn't mind at all using a small amount of archival tape on the inside covers to make them present better. I just wondered if that automatically made them PLODs (I'm still not positive what CGCs new tape policy is)

As far as the Trimming question..... I was kind of playing devils advocate, but I found you get crucified on the boards for even suggesting it.

I posted my Superman 14 from this collection on the "Spare a Grade" forum and one person suggested that the value might go up if I trimmed the edge (because it has rat chews along the edge).

That's why I posted the Trimming question in the "Resto" forum. Again, outrage there.

I understand that everyone here is more of a comic purist and hates trimming, but I wanted my question answered from a purely financial point of view (I don't think I made that clear when I posted it).

Let's only take the Superman 14 as an example (has rat chews slightly affecting every page on the right side). In the grading forum the consensus was 2.0 with 1 person saying 1.8 and a couple saying 2.5, but definitly a LOW grade.

Even at a 3.5 (which I don't see this comic achieving) GPA shows there was a sale this year at only $900

Now, I think with slight color touch, a trim, a top staple reinforcement, and a CF reattach that this comic could go to 7.0-7.5. (maybe I'm being way too optimistic here)

There was a 7.5 EP that sold for $1400 this year. And that was an "Extreme" resto job.

See what I mean? Financially, this might be a case where a trim makes it worth more. I don't think anyone would dream of giving me $1400 for it the way it is now.

I think I may have been the one person in your "grading and restoration" thread who kinda agreed with your analysis here. I don't quite get the outrage at taking a low-grade book with extensive insect/mouse damage and giving it a trim to improve its appearance. We aren't talking about trying to slip a micro trim by CGC to turn an 8.0 into a 9.4.

That said, I also raised the point that the extent of the trim some of your books would require might make it difficult for you get the restored grades you are looking for.

I think I may have been the one person in your "grading and restoration" thread who kinda agreed with your analysis here. I don't quite get the outrage at taking a low-grade book with extensive insect/mouse damage and giving it a trim to improve its appearance. We aren't talking about trying to slip a micro trim by CGC to turn an 8.0 into a 9.4.

That said, I also raised the point that the extent of the trim some of your books would require might make it difficult for you get the restored grades you are looking for.

Yes, and I posed that question to CGC on the "ask CGC" forum, but haven't heard a response yet. Obviously, if they down graded a 3/16" trim by 4 grades I would never consider doing it. I had a thought that I might submit the Superman 14 to CGC as is just to see what they would give me. If it came back as a 3.0 I would be happy, problem solved, but if it came back as a 1.8, then I would seriously consider cracking it out of the case and reconsidering my options.

Now, I think with slight color touch, a trim, a top staple reinforcement, and a CF reattach that this comic could go to 7.0-7.5. (maybe I'm being way too optimistic here).

You might be a little optimistic.

Thought I might give you an example to show that it might be hard to get the book up to a restored 7.0 or 7.5 without a lot of work. This book was about a 1.8, with the majority of the damage to the cover. The pages were in decent shape and did not require any work. I don't have a pre-restoration scan of the book (as scanners were not yet invented when I had this one restored), but here's what it looked like after restoration and before I had it slabbed. Looks pretty nice, right?

morefun54.jpg

CGC tends to grade restored books very harshly (IMHO) and still downgrades books for defects that are related to the restoration, but aren't really visible. Aesthetic appeal seems to play little into the final grade. Here's what CGC gave this book:

morefun54.jpg

Now, I think with slight color touch, a trim, a top staple reinforcement, and a CF reattach that this comic could go to 7.0-7.5. (maybe I'm being way too optimistic here).

You might be a little optimistic.

Thought I might give you an example to show that it might be hard to get the book up to a restored 7.0 or 7.5 without a lot of work. This book was about a 1.8, with the majority of the damage to the cover. The pages were in decent shape and did not require any work. I don't have a pre-restoration scan of the book (as scanners were not yet invented when I had this one restored), but here's what it looked like after restoration and before I had it slabbed. Looks pretty nice, right?

CGC tends to grade restored books very harshly (IMHO) and still downgrades books for defects that are related to the restoration, but aren't really visible. Aesthetic appeal seems to play little into the final grade. Here's what CGC gave this book:

morefun54.jpg

That MF 54 is gorgeous, WOW.

I know what you mean about the harsh grading on resto comics. Here is my Archie 1. It looks SO nice but..... 7.0

get-attachment-59aspx_zps60e7867d.jpeg