• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF #1 Found in Trash-Advice? (Go ahead and attack-Used to it)

78 posts in this topic

Personally, I would have the book wet cleaned to remove the staining. It looks like it would benefit greatly from a real cleaning and the PLOD would bother me less than the water stains do.

Heresy! mad.gif

Label whore! 893censored-thumb.gif

Post Whore! Christo_pull_hair.gif

893whatthe.gifsorry.gif

Piker
Ignoramuses! 27_laughing.gif

Personally, I would have the book wet cleaned to remove the staining. It looks like it would benefit greatly from a real cleaning and the PLOD would bother me less than the water stains do.

Heresy! mad.gif

893whatthe.gifsorry.gif

Piker
SCS comic collector! angel.gif

Heresy! mad.gif

893whatthe.gifsorry.gif

Piker
893whatthe.gif

Heresy! mad.gif

893whatthe.gifsorry.gif

Piker
893whatthe.gif
sorry.gif Low blow...even for me! flowerred.gif

Heresy! mad.gif

893whatthe.gifsorry.gif

Piker
893whatthe.gif
That was cruel, you [!@#%^&^].

I forgive you. yay.gif

Heresy! mad.gif

893whatthe.gifsorry.gif

Piker
893whatthe.gif

I forgive you. yay.gif

hail.gif Now...give me that OAAW 269! takeit.gif

Heresy! mad.gif

893whatthe.gifsorry.gif

Piker
893whatthe.gif

I forgive you. yay.gif

Okay I trade you for that HG DC 100 Page Super #5. cloud9.gif

Heresy! mad.gif

893whatthe.gifsorry.gif

Piker
893whatthe.gif

I forgive you. yay.gif

screwy.gif

Heresy! mad.gif

893whatthe.gifsorry.gif

Piker
893whatthe.gif

I forgive you. yay.gif

screwy.gif
acclaim.gif

the water damage will likely have many people not considering it a VG although it's in nice shape otherwise. fear of mold/mildew is a biggie among collectors of delicate paper artifacts.

doesn't mean it won't sell -- criminey, you could get some decent bucks for an FF #1 with 50 pounds of elephant poop on it -- but it's difficult to compare it to VG copies without the water damage issues and VG copies in slabs.

Thanks Deathlok-I don't know how to do that!

Waaaaaaait a minute. What happened to your friend the comic dealer who was going to submit the book for you? I thought you said you ALREADY submitted it to CGC? Methinks you might be full of shiite

What are you trying to pull here? mad.gif

I'm about to read the rest of this thread, but had to interject at this juncture...

Scott, are you now advocating pressing? That's what your post to the other board re: this FF 1 seems to suggest...?

A bump to see the original scan for the FF1 that luckystiff is talking about in the other thread....

He thinks Harley is selling this as a 4.5 after cracking it out of CGC's 2.0 case....

Unbelieveable. Harley IS selling that same copy as a VG+ !! Here's the link

Amazing how supposedly upstanding dealers will use CGC grades when it suits their purposes (putting cash in their pockets), but then conveniently dismiss CGC's grade completely in cases like this. Harley's grading has always been pretty whacked, but this is nuts. Much as I tend to question CGC on a lot of points, I trust them to know a GD from a VG+ when holding the book in their hands. This book only looks like a VG+ in a scan - and even that's very debatable with all the water staining.

A bump to see the original scan for the FF1 that luckystiff is talking about in the other thread....

He thinks Harley is selling this as a 4.5 after cracking it out of CGC's 2.0 case....

Unbelieveable. Harley IS selling that same copy as a VG+ !! Here's the link

Amazing how supposedly upstanding dealers will use CGC grades when it suits their purposes (putting cash in their pockets), but then conveniently dismiss CGC's grade completely in cases like this. Harley's grading has always been pretty whacked, but this is nuts. Much as I tend to question CGC on a lot of points, I trust them to know a GD from a VG+ when holding the book in their hands. This book only looks like a VG+ in a scan - and even that's very debatable with all the water staining.

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Wow, and I was just looking through Harley's online catalog and thinking about giving him a call soon. Thanks for saving me the trouble.

Wow, and I was just looking through Harley's online catalog and thinking about giving him a call soon.

Thanks for saving me the trouble.

I have bought some expensive books from Harley and I found him to be one of the good guys. He even provided

me the restoration papers on a restored book. Not many dealers would do that. gossip.gif

I would love to get Harley's take on this matter. Also, has anyone ever seen this book in a slab? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I read the prior postings but I have not seen the 2.0 slab for reference.

yes Harleys a good guy, but he and other dealers (like Lauterbach) have got to get used to the new online reality that stuff like this is getting spotted - - - and commented upon. They cant expect the digital trail a book leaves to just disappear when they want it to... or they will be roasted and see their reputations suffer as a result.