• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

most undervalued superman/batman books in general

27 posts in this topic

To all,

I am merely a spectator for the most part as collecting high grade early action/detective books(pre robin) can be a very costly undertaking, i have dipped my toes in the water and bought the Billy Wright Action Comics 23 in the Feb 2012 auction, mostly because Lex Luthor is my favorite character next to Superman and i liked the story behind Billy (before it became the Chicago Black Sox pedigree), and i will hold and cherish this book till i die...... That being said, and since i read this thread on an almost daily basis to absorb the knowledge of the collecting community, can the board members tell me what their most "undervalued" book is?

To all,

I am merely a spectator for the most part as collecting high grade early action/detective books(pre robin) can be a very costly undertaking, i have dipped my toes in the water and bought the Billy Wright Action Comics 23 in the Feb 2012 auction, mostly because Lex Luthor is my favorite character next to Superman and i liked the story behind Billy (before it became the Chicago Black Sox pedigree), and i will hold and cherish this book till i die...... That being said, and since i read this thread on an almost daily basis to absorb the knowledge of the collecting community, can the board members tell me what their most "undervalued" book is?

Some undervalued Supes IMV

Action 2 -- 2nd 1/2 of first story; great pre-ww2 story, Superman acts as a pacifist in story that occurs about time Chamberlain declared Peace in our time and Kristalnacht.

action 3 -- siegel's favorite superman story and possibly the rarest of all proper Superman books (action and Supes)

Action 5 -- Lois and Supes first kiss

Action 6 -- 1st Jimmy Olsen

Action 9 -- Lois tells Clark she loves Superman

Superman 17 -- not just Hitler cover outside but inside the first time Lois ever surmised Clark might be Superman

Superman 19 -- 1st ever imaginary story (and a wild one, with Clark seeing a Superman cartoon in theater which literally reveals he is Superman. He tricks Lois into missing those scenes but somehow isn't worried about everybody else in the audience). Imaginary stories became such a standby in the 60s that every other story used the device.

Supe war covers in general

Detective 28 -- 2nd appearance undervalued compared to other 2nd aps

Detective 32 -- Batman shoots vampires.

Detective 39 -- Batman kills people deliberately.

Batman 1 -- very valuable but far below Supe 1, esp considering joker and catwoman.

Batman 18 -- Hitler cover.

Detective 70 -- only war cover in the run

Batman 25 -- 1st ever villain team-up

Batman 30 -- rare war cover in title

World's Finest in general from 40s and 50s - great covers with bat and supe on them, whimsical, americana. All priced much less than they should be.

I think NY World Fair 1939 is undervalued - Supes app and first Sandman Whoohoo

I agree with this, although I believe it would already be more valuable if Supes didn't have blond hair. :grin:

I thought maybe Foxtrot70 was being sarcastic as NYWF are slow books from what I've seen and been told (though perhaps applying more to the 1940 than the 1939).

I agree with this, although I believe it would already be more valuable if Supes didn't have blond hair. :grin:

I thought maybe Foxtrot70 was being sarcastic as NYWF are slow books from what I've seen and been told (though perhaps applying more to the 1940 than the 1939).

No sarcascism, although it is one of my many talents :juggle: I really believe NY39 is undervalued as a Superman app. Consider it came out around Action 13/14 time frame and also has 1st App of Sandman as bonus. The book is considered scarce and the card board cover prob makes high grade all but impossible to find. I enjoy reading my copy. It not only brings you back in time with GA feel, but educates about the NY Fair itself. A big oversized comic - I can see why people like early World's Finest.

I think what drives the lower price is the cover. It just doesn't have the impact factor necessary to push the price higher. I do think it is a great book though :cloud9:

Superman 76 ist batman/superman team up....its gonna skyrocket...

....... you can say that again. I just picked up a copy of Superman 61 from Rip. I've wanted a decent mid grade copy with a white cover for sometime now. It has the first Kryptonite story...... which is fairly significant to the mythos. It also has Superman's first return trip to Krypton....... as for undervalued, it's hard to say. After 50 years of organized comic fandom, it's tough to consider much of anything pre 1970 to be undervalued..... although there are some surprises from time to time. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

[SUPERMAN61.jpg

What about this cover makes you classify it as a war cover?

I should've said war bonds.

I guess the same could be said about my BATMAN #30.

8450971884_20149369d7.jpg

mm

Superman 76 ist batman/superman team up....its gonna skyrocket...

....... you can say that again. I just picked up a copy of Superman 61 from Rip. I've wanted a decent mid grade copy with a white cover for sometime now. It has the first Kryptonite story...... which is fairly significant to the mythos. It also has Superman's first return trip to Krypton....... as for undervalued, it's hard to say. After 50 years of organized comic fandom, it's tough to consider much of anything pre 1970 to be undervalued..... although there are some surprises from time to time. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

[SUPERMAN61.jpg

love the story in that one. (thumbs u

To all,

Some undervalued Supes IMV

Action 2 -- 2nd 1/2 of first story; great pre-ww2 story, Superman acts as a pacifist in story that occurs about time Chamberlain declared Peace in our time and Kristalnacht.

action 3 -- siegel's favorite superman story and possibly the rarest of all proper Superman books (action and Supes)

Action 5 -- Lois and Supes first kiss

Action 6 -- 1st Jimmy Olsen

Action 9 -- Lois tells Clark she loves Superman

Superman 17 -- not just Hitler cover outside but inside the first time Lois ever surmised Clark might be Superman

Superman 19 -- 1st ever imaginary story (and a wild one, with Clark seeing a Superman cartoon in theater which literally reveals he is Superman. He tricks Lois into missing those scenes but somehow isn't worried about everybody else in the audience). Imaginary stories became such a standby in the 60s that every other story used the device.

Supe war covers in general

Detective 28 -- 2nd appearance undervalued compared to other 2nd aps

Detective 32 -- Batman shoots vampires.

Detective 39 -- Batman kills people deliberately.

Batman 1 -- very valuable but far below Supe 1, esp considering joker and catwoman.

Batman 18 -- Hitler cover.

Batman 25 -- 1st ever villain team-up

Batman 30 -- rare war cover in title

World's Finest in general from 40s and 50s - great covers with bat and supe on them, whimsical, americana. All priced much less than they should be.

(thumbs u

I would add Sup #2, #3, (thumbs u

Superman 32, the struck by lightening 'It Tickles' cover.

It's a classic cover yet does not get the monetary value associated with it that the war covers and flag covers get from the same period. Over the last two years I found them cheap in comparison to other issues of the period.

32-1.jpg

Superman 32, the struck by lightening 'It Tickles' cover.

It's a classic cover yet does not get the monetary value associated with it that the war covers and flag covers get from the same period. Over the last two years I found them cheap in comparison to other issues of the period.

32-1.jpg

I found my copy in a Crackerjacks box...

superman32.jpg