• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It took almost 4 years but...

24 posts in this topic

I've finally managed to complete my run of Titanes Planetarios (Strange Adventures) featuring Deadman from Mexico. If you've never tried to complete a run of foreign books you can't even begin to imagine what's involved. Just finding out if a book was printed in a particular country can be difficult, add to that the language barrier, finding someone who has a copy they're willing to sell, convincing them to ship to the US and then waiting (and hoping) that it arrives and it becomes a tedious, time consuming endeavor. Another thing you have to get used to is not being particular about condition. When dealing with foreign books it's simply not possible to be particular. In most cases if you see a copy, you buy it because you just don't know if or when you'll see another. It's not the same as collecting American books where you can jump online and take your pick of pretty much anything you might want (SA to modern). It's akin to collecting Golden Age in that respect.

When it comes to this particular run there were times I thought I'd never be able to find a copy of every issue but thanks to fellow board member gmedina64 (Gustavo), who actually used to work for Editorial Novaro who published the books, my run is complete! :whee::banana::headbang::banana::whee:

I'd also like to thank Define999, Chespirito, Liaton-9000, solarcadet, Racetrack and Barbarian for their encouragement and help. (thumbs u

Here's the pics!

th_StrangeAdventures205Mexico.jpgth_StrangeAdventures206Mexico.jpgth_StrangeAdventures207Mexico.jpgth_StrangeAdventures208Mexico.jpgth_StrangeAdventures209Mexico_zpsc1c2650d.jpgth_StrangeAdventures210Mexico_zpsbc6a865a.jpg

th_StrangeAdventures211Mexico.jpgth_StrangeAdventures212Mexico_zpsbaafaa04.jpgth_StrangeAdventures213Mexico.jpgth_StrangeAdventures214Mexico.jpgth_StrangeAdventures215Mexico_zps333e5a1f.jpgth_StrangeAdventures216Mexico_zpse7bbfb08.jpg

Congratulations, that is actually VERY cool and probably a run that may not be duplicated were you to ever dissolve it.

Impressive....

so what is next on your collecting focus?

Congrats!!

That must feel fulfilling.

It is indeed! (thumbs u

Congratulations, that is actually VERY cool and probably a run that may not be duplicated were you to ever dissolve it.

Impressive....

so what is next on your collecting focus?

I'm still working on finishing off a few other runs of Mexican books with Adams & Wrightson art.

Phantom Stranger need 2 more

Green Lantern need 4 more

Swamp Thing need 1 more

House of Mystery need 3 more

House of Secrets need 1 more (waiting for the last one to come in)

There's a whole lot more foreign editions I'm looking for but these are sitting at the top of the priority list right now. I'd like to be able to finish them off by the end of the year but it'll most likely be at least another year before I'm able to dig them up. :P

¡Bien hecho!. Eso es un logro impresionante. ¿Qué fue lo más difícil de encontrar?
The #215 was the last one I got. Gustavo had a copy that he was generous enough to trade to me.

the only things I can say in spanish would not help me in such a collecting endavor:

Me gustaría comprar un pollo

No tengo los pantalones

If it makes you feel any better... I don't speak a word of Spanish. I just like having a somewhat unique collection. lol

the only things I can say in spanish would not help me in such a collecting endavor:

No tengo los pantalones

:roflmao:

No shoes, no pants, no chicken!

Congrats!! I bought a few comics in Brazil when I was working down there that I still have, I can't imagine trying to complete ANY of those!

Great Job!

From time to time I look and buy a few Mexican comics. My focus is picture frame marvel comics. Do you have good websites that you have used to find out what was produced? It is hard to find any information other than what I've seen on eBay.

Elvis

Yes.... for Mexican Spidey...

http://www.spidermex.com/inicio.php

For everything else Mexican....

A side-database of alot of Mexican stuff...... find the AMerican book, then see if the database crossrefrences with a Mexican edition.

http://www.bauldelcomic.com/marvel.php?edi=usa&num=1

Holy Spoon Tim! (thumbs u (worship)(worship)(worship) Four years of work pays off dividends.... :cloud9:

This was huge bro! For sure this is the only run of its kind outside of Latin America. But even in Mexico there cannot be to many from what we have researched. Might even be the only one in existence! :o Seems to me like the Mexican completist collector focused more on the mainstream stuff..... hm

Again, congratulations Tim! You have earned this one.... and so close to finishing others you can taste it!!! :applause::applause::applause:

No tengo los pantalones

:roflmao:

No shoes, no pants, no chicken!

Congrats!! I bought a few comics in Brazil when I was working down there that I still have, I can't imagine trying to complete ANY of those!

Yea, Brazil is a tough nut to crack..... Just ask Tim how often he has cried knowing about Brazilian EBALS we just cannot source properly! :frustrated: