• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic books at yard sale alert!!!

34 posts in this topic

Some here have said they wish they could go to a yard sale and find comic books. While looking over Craigslist for comic books and magic cards I ran across this one - http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/fod/3998400901.html I live in Spanaway (50+ miles south) and can't make it, but is probably well worth the look.

"huge comic collection @ $1.00 ea-1980-now-(1,000+)"

"12 cent comics huge new lot in from the 1970's"

Wish I could go.

No imagination. It is because of mindsets like yours as to why I have been one of the only ones showing up at sales like this and finding great stuff.

I showed up at a yard sale a couple weeks ago late, where nobody else showed up, and found a lot of books like this for $1.00 each.

100_1065_zps6b85c178.jpg

100_1064_zps89729a3e.jpg

100_1063_zps72a69a8a.jpg

100_1062_zpsa8497b98.jpg

100_1061_zps985aed9d.jpg

Another sale I showed up in Seattle I bought over 300 books at 20 cents each that included almost a full run of Ms Marvel, a full run of Eternals, full run of Inhumans, etc. and they were mostly VF/NM.

I bought 2 tubs of books that included Neal Adams Green Lantern, double digit X-Men, Spiderman, etc. All gold, silver, and bronze for $100.

I'm glad I showed up at these and didn't pass them off as drek.

No imagination. It is because of mindsets like yours as to why I have been one of the only ones showing up at sales like this and finding great stuff.

I showed up at a yard sale a couple weeks ago late, where nobody else showed up, and found a lot of books like this for $1.00 each.

100_1065_zps6b85c178.jpg

100_1064_zps89729a3e.jpg

100_1063_zps72a69a8a.jpg

100_1062_zpsa8497b98.jpg

100_1061_zps985aed9d.jpg

Another sale I showed up in Seattle I bought over 300 books at 20 cents each that included almost a full run of Ms Marvel, a full run of Eternals, full run of Inhumans, etc. and they were mostly VF/NM.

I bought 2 tubs of books that included Neal Adams Green Lantern, double digit X-Men, Spiderman, etc. All gold, silver, and bronze for $100.

I'm glad I showed up at these and didn't pass them off as drek.

From the condition of these comics you posted (I can only guess they are about the same condition as the Space 1999 #6 above since that is the sharpest picture) , $1.00 is about right for what you'd pay box diving at conventions for these comics. This stuff is pretty common unless it is in NM or better condition.

For adding to your collection, these are terrific finds. If you are looking to make money off of these issues, they won't move for very much. The Space 1999 #7 is a cool find since it is not as common as the other issues.

What is the page quality of these comics? Most of these Charlton's are off white or worse when you come across them. The paper quality used was pretty poor.

I greatly disagree. The #6 only has the ding at upper staple. The rest are NM.

As far as selling them. I have made a lot of money selling what you are dismissing. You are greatly misguided if you think the only way to make money is if the book is graded, mint, gold or silver age, or all three together. I bought a collection of books at a yard sale that people here would call drek or not worth it for $100 and sold them for $650. They were silver and gold.

I have made a lot of money from what I have gotten from yard sales that some people here wouldn't touch because it isn't good enough for them. As long as I am making money then it doesn't matter what other people say about it. I thought it would be nice to point out what was available, since I couldn't get there. May a boardie, who lives in the Seattle area, can get there to see if it is worth it.

I drove to Seattle to a storage unit where the owner was selling his comics for 20 cents each and they were mostly bronze and mostly in VF/NM condition. I got almost a full run of Ms Marvel including the 1st appearance of Mystique. I bought around 300 books from him and they were in beautiful condition.

A friend of mine went to a yard sale that listed comic books for $1,000. Again, he was the only one to show up. He got there and on a table there were a few boxes and he asked if this was it and the owner took my friend to a storage shed that was filled with long boxes. He got all of them. I saw a little bit of the collection and there were a lot of gold and silver X-Men, Spiderman, and more. He took a lot of it to SDCC and said people were practically throwing money at him to buy what he had.

I try not to dismiss any possibilities.

As far as selling them. I have made a lot of money selling what you are dismissing. You are greatly misguided if you think the only way to make money is if the book is graded, mint, gold or silver age, or all three together. I bought a collection of books at a yard sale that people here would call drek or not worth it for $100 and sold them for $650. They were silver and gold.

I have made a lot of money from what I have gotten from yard sales that some people here wouldn't touch because it isn't good enough for them. As long as I am making money then it doesn't matter what other people say about it. I thought it would be nice to point out what was available, since I couldn't get there. May a boardie, who lives in the Seattle area, can get there to see if it is worth it.

I drove to Seattle to a storage unit where the owner was selling his comics for 20 cents each and they were mostly bronze and mostly in VF/NM condition. I got almost a full run of Ms Marvel including the 1st appearance of Mystique. I bought around 300 books from him and they were in beautiful condition.

A friend of mine went to a yard sale that listed comic books for $1,000. Again, he was the only one to show up. He got there and on a table there were a few boxes and he asked if this was it and the owner took my friend to a storage shed that was filled with long boxes. He got all of them. I saw a little bit of the collection and there were a lot of gold and silver X-Men, Spiderman, and more. He took a lot of it to SDCC and said people were practically throwing money at him to buy what he had.

Well said. Congrats on the finds.

Maybe the title of your thread should have been "For boardies in Seattle" or something. I'm not dismissing an opportunity to long box dive...I love that more than I probably should. What I'm attempting to illustrate is that if we all posted every Craigslist ad for comics that has a hint of promise or possibility then the first five pages of Comics General would be reposted Craigslist ads. Even better idea at some point post a thread that says something like "Who's in the Pacific Northwest?" Then compile a list of private contacts for info like this.

I get PMs all the time from boardies in Oklahoma to let me know about sales, flea market booths, and local conventions all the time.

Some here have said they wish they could go to a yard sale and find comic books. While looking over Craigslist for comic books and magic cards I ran across this one - http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/fod/3998400901.html I live in Spanaway (50+ miles south) and can't make it, but is probably well worth the look.

"huge comic collection @ $1.00 ea-1980-now-(1,000+)"

"12 cent comics huge new lot in from the 1970's"

Wish I could go.

I live in Seattle and saw the advertisement as well. I think I might go given that it is only about 15 minutes from my house.