• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question? which gold book is better to have/more valuable

36 posts in this topic

sorry to be late to respond here-thank you for all the replys-im new to this forum but I love the passion and kindness in this community-you all are very helpful and responsive compared to other forums ive been associated with which were less then pleasant

to answer some questions:

metropolis listed it as san fran, cgc graded it as san fran, it has the 'G" in pencil on the cover like the book shown in this thread and the page quality is amazing-bone white pages (that's why I was a little disappointed it came back from cgc as a 9.2 since metropolis had it at 9.4 and I of course paid a hefty little sum for a supposed 9.4 pedigree san Francisco book). I have a few other sensation san fran copies in my collection, that's what was so appealing about this book and it looks just the same so with all that data im fairly confidant that it is san fran

..as for my friend he wants to in essence trade down because of 1) the pedigree and 2) the page quality. the thing his book has over mine is that its graded a 9.4 and the front cover color is like fresh off the press-so vibrant, more colorful then mine...but his copy is not a pedigree and has ow/w pages.

so, you all helped me make up my mind and im keeping my book as you are right-I got so hung up on the grade, that I lost sight of the fact that it is a pedigree san fran book

but...we all know how dealers can be (not that I ever plan on selling it) but if they(dealers in general) try to sell the book its "oh its a pedigree with bone white pages" and then if you try to sell it back to them, lol they will be like, "well, its only a 9.2 and on the census it is not the highest graded" you can never win "shrug"

but...we all know how dealers can be (not that I ever plan on selling it) but if they(dealers in general) try to sell the book its "oh its a pedigree with bone white pages" and then if you try to sell it back to them, lol they will be like, "well, its only a 9.2 and on the census it is not the highest graded" you can never win "shrug"

As the old adage goes, "How can you tell when a dealer`s lying? His lips are moving."

reilly in a heartbeat. i don't want to make my d.c. geeks glum, so i'll be diplomatic--this is a pretty pedestrian book, even in high-grade. however, the reilly notation on the label makes it very desirable, notwithstanding its modest position in the g.a. firmament. for example, i bought 2 star-spangled issues i ordinarily wouldn't have glanced at on a dealer's wall, because they said 'san franscisco.' i would do the same with this s.f. sensation.

sorry to be late to respond here-thank you for all the replys-im new to this forum but I love the passion and kindness in this community-you all are very helpful and responsive compared to other forums ive been associated with which were less then pleasant

metropolis listed it as san fran, cgc graded it as san fran, it has the 'G" in pencil on the cover like the book shown in this thread and the page quality is amazing-bone white pages (that's why I was a little disappointed it came back from cgc as a 9.2 since metropolis had it at 9.4 and I of course paid a hefty little sum for a supposed 9.4 pedigree san Francisco book). I have a few other sensation san fran copies in my collection, that's what was so appealing about this book and it looks just the same so with all that data im fairly confidant that it is san fran

..as for my friend he wants to in essence trade down because of 1) the pedigree and 2) the page quality. the thing his book has over mine is that its graded a 9.4 and the front cover color is like fresh off the press-so vibrant, more colorful then mine...but his copy is not a pedigree and has ow/w pages.

so, you all helped me make up my mind and im keeping my book as you are right-I got so hung up on the grade, that I lost sight of the fact that it is a pedigree san fran book

Did you buy the Sensation #61 they had listed as the SF Copy too?

reilly in a heartbeat. i don't want to make my d.c. geeks glum, so i'll be diplomatic--this is a pretty pedestrian book, even in high-grade. however, the reilly notation on the label makes it very desirable, notwithstanding its modest position in the g.a. firmament. for example, i bought 2 star-spangled issues i ordinarily wouldn't have glanced at on a dealer's wall, because they said 'san franscisco.' i would do the same with this s.f. senstation.

And those two SS you bought are purdy. :cloud9:

hi im new here-but collecting comics for many years especially wonderwoman gold and silver-but I have a question, more of a dilemma that I cant decide upon (maybe im blinded to the obvious answer cause im to close to it) and need some help from dear new friends who are knowledgeable and don't have anything invested in the answer. so onto my question: its a "which book is better to have/more valuable question" my friend and I have the same book and he wants to trade straight up and I need to know which is worth more-I have a 9.2 graded sensation #60 with white pages with the san Francisco pedigree-he has the same book, sensation #60, graded at a 9.4 with ow/w pages and no pedigree-so his book is graded higher-so which book would you say is better/worth more...and if this isn't the right forum for this please forgive me-im new and maybe direct me to the proper board but all input is welcome-thank you

Go with the pedigree. Collectors put something special on a golden age pedigree. It`s just like a CGC 9.9 will always be more desired then the common run of the mill 9.8 in copper/modern age comic books. 2c

wow-lol-you have some kind of super memory! I did also buy the sensation 61 well over a year ago-actually as that's one of my favorite covers (WW playing tennis!) I already had a slabbed 8.0 but the SF copy was too good to pass up so I did buy it-I respect peoples comments on here and opinions and that it is a "pedestrian book" as one could argue there is nothing special about sensation 60 (no special appearances, ect) but the cover is very cool and to get any golden age super hero book in 9.2 or up let alone a pedigree, I feel like you have to jump on that opportunity pedestrian book or not because there aren't many of these type books around and even less in 9.2 and up-I again thank you all for your time and educated input-ive learned this is an invaluable exceptional board and resource to have-ive been collecting for many years here in los angeles since I was a kid and had to go it solo and teach myself as I didn't have any friends who collected or amazing resources and people like you all here!

...question though, the reily book/san fran pedigree's...what is the significance of the "g" on the cover? im sure one of you all with way more knowledge knows what that's about-I had heard that mr reily went to the military to fight in the way and his parents bought him fresh from the newsstand every week the latest comics and preserved them for him for when he came back, but sadly he didn't-am I getting that part of the story correct-really besides mile high/edgar church, san fran are some of the most beautiful books ive ever seen

As the old adage goes, "How can you tell when a dealer`s lying? His lips are moving."

[font:Times New Roman]So, how are those ventriloquism lessons going? [/font] :baiting:

wow-lol-you have some kind of super memory! I did also buy the sensation 61 well over a year ago-actually as that's one of my favorite covers (WW playing tennis!) I already had a slabbed 8.0 but the SF copy was too good to pass up so I did buy it-I respect peoples comments on here and opinions and that it is a "pedestrian book" as one could argue there is nothing special about sensation 60 (no special appearances, ect) but the cover is very cool and to get any golden age super hero book in 9.2 or up let alone a pedigree, I feel like you have to jump on that opportunity pedestrian book or not because there aren't many of these type books around and even less in 9.2 and up-I again thank you all for your time and educated input-ive learned this is an invaluable exceptional board and resource to have-ive been collecting for many years here in los angeles since I was a kid and had to go it solo and teach myself as I didn't have any friends who collected or amazing resources and people like you all here!

...question though, the reily book/san fran pedigree's...what is the significance of the "g" on the cover? im sure one of you all with way more knowledge knows what that's about-I had heard that mr reily went to the military to fight in the way and his parents bought him fresh from the newsstand every week the latest comics and preserved them for him for when he came back, but sadly he didn't-am I getting that part of the story correct-really besides mile high/edgar church, san fran are some of the most beautiful books ive ever seen

sandy reiser, I sent you a PM (private message). Look for a blinking envelope at the top of the page. (thumbs u

the thing his book has over mine is ... the front cover color is like fresh off the press-so vibrant, more colorful then mine....

If this is the case I may be inclined to go with the higher graded, more colorful copy.

Color and freshness are why we want pedigree copies. If the non-ped is more colorful than the ped that makes the choice a little tougher.

I know what you mean mrbedrock...that's why I was even considering the trade cause I love the vibrant colors of his cover 9the colors on my 9.2 are pretty good too) but his 9.4 got the full barrel of the rainbow colors on the page.

however, upon further thought and help here from you good people I realized that probably

1) pedigree and

2) page quality (my bone white pages; his ow/w)

trumps..

1) a higher grade slightly

and

2) slightly more colorful color

The story of the Reilly/SF pedigree is a complicated one. If you are adept in using the search function, you can find a number of discussions on these boards of various aspects of it. Some of those discussions -- particularly the ones involving Bob Beerbohm, who was co-discover of the books -- are a tad heated. Interesting reading, nonetheless. :)

The story of the Reilly/SF pedigree is a complicated one. If you are adept in using the search function, you can find a number of discussions on these boards of various aspects of it. Some of those discussions -- particularly the ones involving Bob Beerbohm, who was co-discover of the books -- are a tad heated. Interesting reading, nonetheless. :)

The "G" would most likely be a distributor code. A store that stocked returnable periodicals received from multiple vendors would create a separate code for each distributor so that all of the unsold copies could be returned to the proper one for credit.