• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Safety of Comics?

20 posts in this topic

I'm getting burned out on the safety of purchasing and selling vintage grading cards. Im back and forth about whether I should trust graded vintage comics. Is it safe. I don't mean the market shifts I mean piece of mind and legitimacy. I have some high value cards and Im scared to even sell them because I don't trust PSA. And have had enough bad experience with PSA that they make me sick. Please give me some advice I love collecting valuable graded books but want to be informed to move on. Its pretty simple to buy a 100 dollar graded book but once the prices you pay continue going up then It gets more stressful. Please share your experiences. I just don't think PSA graded cards are at all stable and want to get peoples experience with Comics.

If Oakman trusts CGC then I trust CGC.

:)

PSA seems to be a bit of a cluster as of late but CGC is good to go. Just ignore the sometimes long TATs and all the current quality control issues and things are okay.

:acclaim:

I bought a Hulk 181 in 1997 so I don't know what my 103 posts have anything to do with it. But I can see what you would think. But I've never gotten into comics that I am currently considering and want to own them but need quality information as to what kind of risk Im taking. And I really don't care If the market goes up and down alittle. I don't listen to the sky is falling posts on message boards either I've been hearing that for years and will take my chances on a bubble bursting. Im more concerned with what Im getting isn't garabage. I've never heard anything to keep me from trusting CGC and they have treated there product with integrity as far as I know. And yes I know this is there messageboard but If Im considering whether to spend my money on a book or pay off my car I want more info. If post gets deleted for this then I will get my answer that way.

Very simple, CGC is the best in third party grading. CGCs restoration check is the best you will find hands down. They also give their opinion of the grade. Their opinion on grade happens to drive the market. So if you're looking to maximize your money, look into pressing your key books, and having them submitted.

Joe,

what kind of books are you considering buying?

Are you considering buying because you like the book or are you buying it to make money on it? The advice given is different for both of those scenarios.

I'm getting burned out on the safety of purchasing and selling vintage grading cards. Im back and forth about whether I should trust graded vintage comics. Is it safe. I don't mean the market shifts I mean piece of mind and legitimacy. I have some high value cards and Im scared to even sell them because I don't trust PSA. And have had enough bad experience with PSA that they make me sick. Please give me some advice I love collecting valuable graded books but want to be informed to move on. Its pretty simple to buy a 100 dollar graded book but once the prices you pay continue going up then It gets more stressful. Please share your experiences. I just don't think PSA graded cards are at all stable and want to get peoples experience with Comics.

Judging by your post you do sound concerned. CGC is the most trusted name in comic book grading. You should have no anxiety in putting your trust in their grading or restoration detection skills. As for the market overall, yes we are experiencing somewhat of a speculator's market and prices on certain books are extremely high right now as a result. Assuming you buy smart, use GP Analysis and other research methods, understand the risks, and buy what you like; I am sure you will be okay. Just don't get caugh up in the hype and start referring to your collection as your 'retirement fund' and all will be well.

Wow guys great advice. I'm in school Im 34 so a little old to be going back but I felt I wanted more and am working towards that. I've been able to pay my car payment and what little classes I have with baseball cards and comics. I'm going after Cisco certifications and Im becoming more encouraged about job potential. I've had a hard time following through and controlling my spending on Ebay. I need to work on that first. I've made money on Comics and cards but It seems never ending like theres always something else to buy. Any advice on being more gratified with the hobby.

Joe,

what kind of books are you considering buying?

Are you considering buying because you like the book or are you buying it to make money on it? The advice given is different for both of those scenarios.

I agree on that and also that buying newer comics is a lot more risky than older ones (a shorthand way to think about it).

Yeah Im just looking for new direction and need help deciding what it is. Thanks for the advice. I watched a video on youtube that had a professor at Stanford speaking. He was saying that you don't always just want to follow the crowd.

Wow guys great advice. I'm in school Im 34 so a little old to be going back but I felt I wanted more and am working towards that. I've been able to pay my car payment and what little classes I have with baseball cards and comics. I'm going after Cisco certifications and Im becoming more encouraged about job potential. I've had a hard time following through and controlling my spending on Ebay. I need to work on that first. I've made money on Comics and cards but It seems never ending like theres always something else to buy. Any advice on being more gratified with the hobby.

34 is too old to get back into comics? I think you will find that most of us on this board are your age or older....

Also, gratification is very personal.

If collecting comics makes you happy, then continue with the hobby. However, if you find collecting stressful and cannot afford it, then you might want to find a new hobby. What good is a hobby if it is not fun and stress relieving?

As for spending too much on eBay, I think I'm in the same boat. However, I don't spend so much that it affects my ability to pay bills, etc.

Have fun! Seriously!

I bought a Hulk 181 in 1997 so I don't know what my 103 posts have anything to do with it. But I can see what you would think. But I've never gotten into comics that I am currently considering and want to own them but need quality information as to what kind of risk Im taking. And I really don't care If the market goes up and down alittle. I don't listen to the sky is falling posts on message boards either I've been hearing that for years and will take my chances on a bubble bursting. Im more concerned with what Im getting isn't garabage. I've never heard anything to keep me from trusting CGC and they have treated there product with integrity as far as I know. And yes I know this is there messageboard but If Im considering whether to spend my money on a book or pay off my car I want more info. If post gets deleted for this then I will get my answer that way.

Pay off your car first,then maybe consider comic books.If you are getting into comics to up your investment portfolio,maybe you should consider something else.If you want to collect comics for fun,enjoyment etc. Then it's a good fit.Of course we want to see our prized comics go up in value,but that's really just a secondary bonus to the thrill of the chase in getting that next grail. 2c

Pay off your car first,then maybe consider comic books.If you are getting into comics to up your investment portfolio,maybe you should consider something else.If you want to collect comics for fun,enjoyment etc. Then it's a good fit.Of course we want to see our prized comics go up in value,but that's really just a secondary bonus to the thrill of the chase in getting that next grail. 2c

Well put oakman!! Looking at them as an investment is dangerous and can ruin the pure enjoyment of collecting and reading.

Best advice I've read :golfclap:

To echo what others are already saying, I would pay off your car. Comic books and other kinds of collectibles are simply that...collectibles. The whole 'investment' element is actually quite new and regulated to the last few decades of collecting. The previous generation before ours collected out of passion; not investment. Ironically, it is our generation and the younger generations that seem to think that hoarding and speculating on mass produced items is a wise idea. Sadly, it is not. If you have your car paid off and want to buy some vintage books because you like them or think they will go up in value, then there is nothing wrong with that. However, not funding a 401K or a Roth IRA because you think you collections are investments is never wise in my humble opinion.

Car first. Comics later