• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on EC horror comics...

24 posts in this topic

Hello,

I just had a quick question for those of you that know the EC Comics horror market. I was thinking of buying some if these in high CGC grade (9.2 +). Is the market fairly stable on these? What about long term? These were reprinted several times and in hard cover. Is this affecting the value of these issues? What are the most popular series and key issues to collect?

I have nearly completed my silver and Bronze Age collections to what I am close to being satisfied with (there are a few more issues needed per my want lists, but not much). I just have to get a few more liver age keys like FF 48 and SS 1.

I thank you or your help!

I'd assume the biggest impact of late are the appearance of the Gaines File copies of most/all of the EC books.

I havent follwed ECs very closely, did the appearance of the collection (and subsequent sales) have a genera downward impact on the lesser grade versions of the books?

Are these File copies still trickling out to the market or have they all been released at this point? Seems like every monthly CLINK auction has 5-10 of them if not more....

I'd think if you weren't targeting these peds it would be best to wait for the File copes to all get consumed, push down the other books values (if that's what they are doing) and then buy the non-ped copies for nice prices.

Again, my post is nothing but supposition, can anyone better versed in the current EC market help?

E.C. horror has generally been more stable than other genres over the last couple of years. High grade E.C. horror books are not necessarily great investments, except for the keys, but they are always in demand. 9.2 and up GFCs always do considerably better (40 - 50%, maybe more) than their non-GFC counterparts.

+1 on what Goldlust40 said. If your going high grade stick to GFC. I think high grade ECs are a niche market unto themselves. People w this kind of money do not care about reprints anymore than someone paying $100k for Xmen #1 cares about Marvel master works. I would caution anyone to buy them as an investment as they are not liquid, not like a SA keys. I have seen high grade sit as BINs with what seem as reasonable prices and do nothing for months then drop off. There are always dealers who have some high grade, but maybe not the ones your after.

If your want the Key ECs they will be tough to find. And If you get into a bid war w someone w deep pockets who is a collector and have to pay a big prem, then the investment element is reduced. Comic Connect and Clink had some nice high grades, and they seem to fetch decent prices, but I had no insight into what the prior person paid to know if the mult over NM guide was strong or weak. Prob need to work with a dealer like WorldWide or Metro who has record of selling GFCs.

I collect ECs but not high grade. I have tracked EC Auctions of all grades for the last 2 yrs and find nice mid grade seem to be solid around 90%-150% of guide (both Horror and Sci-Fi) - classic covers and the CGC slab also makes a difference. Having said that, Id also say even with continued issues of reprints coming out, the demand for originals is not going to change much even for us po' folks.

EC's are generally acknowledged as the best horror books in terms of writing. Expect to pay several thousand dollars apiece for high grade copies of the three biggest EC horror keys, Crypt of Terror #17, Vault of Horror #12 (#1), and Haunt of Fear #15 (#1). Prices did take a hit when the Gaines File Copies surfaced. I know EC's moved down a ways on my want list after that simply because I figured I'd be able to find a nice copy of most issues any ol' time.

The overall outstanding quality of the EC line tends to generate stability, though it's wise to shop around when considering GFC (which have had a tendency to flood the market at times).

I've been collecting EC's for a long time, and haven't seen reprints affect the market at all.

The Sci Fi titles with Wood covers seem popular...... and when it comes to VF range, I almost ALWAYS get outbid on Haunt of Fear with Ingles covers.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Extensive reprinting hasn't really diminished demand for original EC's - rather, it's kept them in the public eye. GFC's are wonderful, but it's easy enough to overpay for them, they were more expensive just a few years ago. Ask boardie cheetah for his experiences buying and selling. Mid-grade EC's, which I love, are relatively consistent and not held as investments, so much as just out of love for them. Books like CSS 22 are outliers, for the longest time everyone would say "great cover" but that "EC's are too common." In this case, new demand changed that perception for CSS 22.

Hello,

I just had a quick question for those of you that know the EC Comics horror market. I was thinking of buying some if these in high CGC grade (9.2 +). Is the market fairly stable on these? What about long term? These were reprinted several times and in hard cover. Is this affecting the value of these issues? What are the most popular series and key issues to collect?

I have nearly completed my silver and Bronze Age collections to what I am close to being satisfied with (there are a few more issues needed per my want lists, but not much). I just have to get a few more liver age keys like FF 48 and SS 1.

I thank you or your help!

Most popular title is probably Crypt due to name recognition, followed closely by Vault and Haunt, then probably Shock and Crime SS as horror titles go. Weird Science/Fantasy are equally in demand as these. Probably bringing up the rear are Two-Fisted and Frontline Combat, along with EC esoteric pre-new trend, & code-approved new new trend stuff (post '55.) But all EC's are great.

I thank you for all the help...

Guess I am now going to go after a few high grade EC's!

'As the saying goes, just when I thought I was out for good they found a way to pull me back me in...'

Kind regards and many thanks!

Mint

Just tread cautiously, as I think you are wont to do anyway. GFCs are glorious, I'd love to have one in my collection eventually, as I love pedigree books. But as an example, I remember seeing Bob Overstreet pay 11K+ for a War against Crime #11 GFC on eBay when they were hottest - think I saw it, or a GFC just like it, sell for 6K-ish a few years later. Gamble big and you could lose big, so just be aware. :)

Just tread cautiously, as I think you are wont to do anyway. GFCs are glorious, I'd love to have one in my collection eventually, as I love pedigree books. But as an example, I remember seeing Bob Overstreet pay 11K+ for a War against Crime #11 GFC on eBay when they were hottest - think I saw it, or a GFC just like it, sell for 6K-ish a few years later. Gamble big and you could lose big, so just be aware. :)

To your point, Metro has "the" or "a" 9.8 copy of WAC11 as we speak @$5000

And it has been there for some time. I thought for sure a boardie was going to snap it up. The first EC Horror cover and one of my fav covers for sure.

And it has been there for some time. I thought for sure a boardie was going to snap it up. The first EC Horror cover and one of my fav covers for sure.

It is a great one! My copy is a remainder copy with title cut off. Just a smidge lower grade than a GFC. ;)

[font:Times New Roman]Buying EC is one of those cases where everything comes into play. Collectors should gauge relative values (OSG and GPA sales), CGC census (to determine approximate numbers in grade), cover appeal (art), noteworthy issues (keys) and current trends (pre-code horror popularity & market saturation) before committing. Two key factors influence market stability where EC comics are concerned: the abundance of HQ reprint books in various forms and the availability of high grade Gaines File Copies. Note: This is just my POV, other's mileage may vary.

The dispersion of Gaines File Copies is the 800 lb. gorilla in the room. When the Gaines vault was opened, high grade copies were divided between the collecting community (auctioned) and Gaines family members. Quantities vary from issue to issue and each came with a numbered certificate indicating best to worst copy (all were HG). These certificates were supposed to be kept with the book, but some have been lost or misplaced over the years. Given the likelihood that not all GFC have been graded by CGC at this time makes the determination of higher/highest graded copies of each title even more elusive.

The top-heavy high grade status of Gaines File Copies makes this vaulted collection the dominant pedigree, IMO, weakening the value of other pedigrees to a greater or lesser degree regardless of grade. It also makes the market for EC collectibles a bit less stable and dependent upon pre-code comic popularity, which is trending hot right now. All that said, EC comics are highly collectible, among the best pre-code comics ever produced, and desirable in any grade if acquired at the right price point.

My long-winded 2c [/font]

Maybe for the very highest end EC collector, GFC's make things less stable? I don't think it greatly affects copies at a F/VF level, for example. Those tend to get whatever they get, and the market for them seems pretty stable. Priced right, they are sure sellers (but that goes for anything.)

Maybe for the very highest end EC collector, GFC's make things less stable? I don't think it greatly affects copies at a F/VF level, for example. Those tend to get whatever they get, and the market for them seems pretty stable. Priced right, they are sure sellers (but that goes for anything.)

[font:Times New Roman]Point taken. I won't disagree with you about F/VF stability and the consistency of realized prices for mid-grade books, but pricing for GFC (notable for being the highest graded EC comics) seems to be all over the map.

I'm not saying that the fluid nature of this market is a bad thing for collectors, but given the quantities available and factoring in market unpredictability, one should view EC pricing at the top end of the scale with an abundance of caution.

My 2c [/font] (thumbs u