• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 357 with Hulk cover inside...

29 posts in this topic

I picked this up this past weekend along with a few others. I was looking through them and I came across this....

20130821_213758_zps9bdbfd35.jpg

20130821_213842_zpsb961b2cb.jpg

20130821_213853_zps21905360.jpg

20130821_213900_zps845f407c.jpg

20130821_213929_zps45a9c3b6.jpg

Batman 357 with a Hulk 281 cover inside the book. Has anyone seen this before?

I have never seen it before, but I seem to recall seeing Polybags at the store back in the 80s that included three comics, sometimes from different publishers. So maybe some distributors had a contract to bind books from both DC and Marvel, hence this kind of goof-up? (shrug)

They are both cover dated March, I presume of the same year. I believe both DC and Marvel printed in Sparta Illinois, so maybe a sheet of Hulk covers got under a sheet of Batman covers in the process of moving the glossy cover stock pages to the newsprint interiors. So, if the covers got stuck, they got stapled together onto the interiors, just as any multiple cover comic would have been. If so, there may be others of this particular odd combination out there, but I've not heard of them.

I have something similar, a full comic bound within another comic at the centerfold. But it's the same book in my case. Cool to see your example of a cover bound within a different book.

eur19i.jpg

They are both cover dated March, I presume of the same year.

Yep they are both from March 1983. I was shocked when I saw it had to do a double take.

Both newsstand editions, but different cover prices. Was DC undercutting Marvel in the 80's?

Yes, that error is possible though not common. That's a very unique book you have there. (thumbs u

If I'm not mistaken, it's not uncommon for one large sheet to have more than one cover on it.

Yep they are both from March 1983. I was shocked when I saw it had to do a double take.

Both newsstand editions, but different cover prices. Was DC undercutting Marvel in the 80's?

The Hulk is the Canadian price variant.

doh!

EDN4KmY.jpg

:sorry:

doh!

EDN4KmY.jpg

:sorry:

:popcorn: