• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would this printing defect be called?

39 posts in this topic

My submission came home today and I noticed a difference between the two Spiderwoman #15's

Its only obvious in a few spots on the cover, no place more than the character box on the FC.

original.jpg

You can see on the bottom copy Jessica's hair looks like its missing a layer of black ink.

any insight on what this would be called or what would cause it?

The first thing that comes to mind is that you spend an awful lot of time looking at your Spider-Women ;) As dumb as it sounds, I hope its not a stupid defect where the printer was low on ink. That would be somewhat amusing.

The first thing that comes to mind is that you spend an awful lot of time looking at your Spider-Women ;) As dumb as it sounds, I hope its not a stupid defect where the printer was low on ink. That would be somewhat amusing.
They just came in and I was trying to figure out why it was a 9.6 :slapfight:

lol

No, but seriously, looks like maybe an ink density problem? Maybe the ink rollers were needing to be rewetted when this wrap passed through that colour.

IDK, to be perfectly honest. :D

-slym

Or ink is old, or inefficient drying, or Improper ink/water balance, or binder is off, or ph balance is off

It looks like somehow the cyan was overprinted on the black instead of the other around. Usually, black would the last ink laid on the page. It's very weird that it's so prominent on the corner box and only on part of the print run.

Another possible explanation is that the duller portions are basic black ink only, while the blacker parts are what is called "rich black," which is a combination of black plus the other colors.

The way inking was done, at least in the pre-digital age, was to carefully fill in the blacks around outlines and edges, then use a brush to quickly fill in the larger expanses of black. This often results in very different-looking blacks within the same area, and is often apparent in OA (especially older OA where fading of india ink is more apparent in the more thinly-covered areas). It is possible (although I'm not 100% sure how) that the different densities of black carried over to the printing plates so that in some areas we get black ink only, and in others we get rich black.

Disclaimer: I pretty much stopped being involved in commercial printing in the early 1990s and have not really kept up with digital printing tech, so, as always, my comments may be completely off the mark.