• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

How high is the bar in value in of items I have to offer in the PIF?

Taken from the rules on the 1st page of the PiF thread:

RULES:

-Please do not discuss the value of the book(s) being offered. If you don't like them, you don't have to take them

There is no value to be discussed as far as PiF is concerned. It helps avoid the mental dilemma that you've outlined. Claim what you like and offer what you like in return. With the newly implemented rules change, there is no risk or big concern if no one claims something you've offered.

I know that.

To me the value of getting the Maxi series of Squadron Supreme may be more than a graded current comic.

Quick... take it before someone beats you to it. You never know when you'll get this kind of opportunity again.

That's all you got out of that? :facepalm:

Relax. Just messin' with ya. :) I don't take 'comic', 'funny', 'joke' book discussions too seriously. Know what I mean?

comic book

joke book

funny books

I'm not ever going to take those words seriously. I just can't. They were never meant to be. Just because someone decided to start putting them in plastic one day, doesn't change what the essence of this hobby is about. Fun.

Sorry about that. I had a bunch of inconsiderate people let me see their better side a couple months ago and I've since become gun shy ever since.

To me the value of getting the Maxi series of Squadron Supreme may be more than a graded current comic.

Quick... take it before someone beats you to it. You never know when you'll get this kind of opportunity again.

That's all you got out of that? :facepalm:

Relax. Just messin' with ya. :) I don't take 'comic', 'funny', 'joke' book discussions too seriously. Know what I mean?

comic book

joke book

funny books

I'm not ever going to take those words seriously. I just can't. They were never meant to be. Just because someone decided to start putting them in plastic one day, doesn't change what the essence of this hobby is about. Fun.

Sorry about that. I had a bunch of inconsiderate people let me see their better side a couple months ago and I've since become gun shy ever since.

No problem. To be honest, I don't even know what this thread is about. I only read a couple of the later pages here and a couple of the last pages in the PIF thread. I never heard of that thread or even noticed it until this thread was made. I like to comment without actually knowing what is truly going on. Who's got time to read all the pages of a thread? slym and kav maybe? So this is what I gather the PIF thread is all about........ People are passing their junk around to other members and letting them handle and get a good look at their junk? Is this correct? I'd like to participate but I'm shy about letting others get a hold of my junk.

Yeah, but one's man's trash is another's treasure. Just because I see a comic that mainstream comic community considers a 50 center doesn't mean that I personally don't want it. When I was selling on Comic Collector Live I was selling a lot of comics that most people here wouldn't take even if I paid them to take it.

The PIF is supposed to be place where people can offer things that maybe somebody else can treasure because they can't either find it or afford it, but what it looks like what is happening is that if I don't offer something that is worth $25+ it is trash. I already have the Squadron Supreme in a TPB. If I didn't it I probably would have jumped on it, but some deem it as trash. It's a good read.

RULES:

-Please do not discuss the value of the book(s) being offered. If you don't like them, you don't have to take them

There is no value to be discussed as far as PiF is concerned. It helps avoid the mental dilemma that you've outlined. Claim what you like and offer what you like in return. With the newly implemented rules change, there is no risk or big concern if no one claims something you've offered.

Other than the thread coming to screeching halt?

For clarity, and then I will leave this thread yet again -

I laughed at Ninjak 1, a book that even if it was "valued" at $5 is trash, and the fact it was part of a "pick one of these."

Anything else that anyone thinks can't be based on my pointing that out. If Boostergold thinks he would have a hard time giving away $25 worth of comics, that isn't on me. I definitely never even intimated that the Squadron Supreme is "trash."

:)

-slym

RULES:

Other than the thread coming to screeching halt?

The previous offers goes back up after 96 hours of an offer not being claimed. There is an issue if two offers don't get claimed back-to-back but otherwise it provides a small fail-safe that the thread doesn't come to a screeching halt.

If Boostergold thinks he would have a hard time giving away $25 worth of comics, that isn't on me.

I'm sorry Slym, I never meant this against you personally. This is the overall feeling I have been getting by reading a lot of different posts over the past weeks, Yes, I agree and should have clarified, the Ninjak alone wasn't a lot, but if the run or even the first half of the run would have been offered I wouldn't turn it down. I already have the whole run myself.

I laughed at Ninjak 1, a book that even if it was "valued" at $5 is trash, and the fact it was part of a "pick one of these."

Anything else that anyone thinks can't be based on my pointing that out. If Boostergold thinks he would have a hard time giving away $25 worth of comics, that isn't on me. I definitely never even intimated that the Squadron Supreme is "trash."

-slym

:roflmao:

Paging GA Collectibles

Squadron Supreme is a great series. (thumbs u

Some people just have a difficult time believing comics have a value other than monetary.

I was interested in it... but then realized it was not the whole miniseries... just most of it.

I will go back to shutting up about anything PIF related, I promise.

-slym

-slym

Paging GA Collectibles

(in my best Inigo Montoya voice-)

I do not think "I will go back to shutting up about anything PIF related" means what you think it means.

-slym

-slym

Paging GA Collectibles

I do not think "I will go back to shutting up about anything PIF related" means what you think it means.

:applause:

-slym

-slym

Paging GA Collectibles

Slym, even you have to admit that was a :signfunny:

-slym

-slym

Paging GA Collectibles

:popcorn:

Because of how high the bar is now in offering items I have not been partaking in the thread. I would have to give up some of my $50 books just have something taken in order to keep what I chose. I am living off of disability and don't have a lot of money to give up what I have accumulated just to take something from the PIF and I am afraid that what I could offer up wouldn't pass other people's screening.

Isn't the PIF thread a venue to where people can get things for their collection and/or something they can read that they normally couldn't get themselves? It seems that value of the offer is what the focus of what the thread has become. To me the value of getting the Maxi series of Squadron Supreme may be more than a graded current comic. It may not be to you, but it may be to me.

I would pick something offered by you… :foryou:

but yes, it can be difficult to find a good balance of offers after you have picked something not necessarily for the value.

As far as the Squadron Supreme: I would have loved to read it, but again I have not much space, the series was not complete and if I have to go for a mini-series and pay shipping to Italy better to pick it up all at once. :)

Talking about the value of books currently not up for offer. Discuss.

Someone asked why one of the books offered up had been recently popular and it was mentioned the 9.8 version is selling pretty well. The book offered was raw.

I think in this context it really isn't a big deal.