• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

Bathedinflames from Canada took an offer and lead Manicnerd on for weeks about shipping out his item and never did. The guy was making excuse after excuse and then disappeared.

You may be right, but then the onus would be on the person who posts the :takeit: to post a comparable offer or get vetoed.

2 bottom feeders working quickly together could get around the veto. No?

:facepalm: I was just coming here to be positive about and think it was pretty cool, but I guess you have to worry about this.

I was thinking of someone taking a great offer and adding a great offer on too and reposting - but that would take a LOT of honest people with good intentions. And at the end, when someone just kept the "mega offer" if they didn't match that offer, they'd be vilified even if they were trying to post a legit offer.

And it brings us back to the above concern. Even IF done right the first time and it was successful, that opens up the door for donkeys to once again manipulate the system.

Bathedinflames from Canada took an offer and lead Manicnerd on for weeks about shipping out his item and never did. The guy was making excuse after excuse and then disappeared.

I do remember that now that you mention it. There was another one, someone claimed something and then the offeror got banned for a while, like 2 weeks. I can't remember who was the offeror or the claimer. I know I sent the claimer a HC X-men book.

At least no one took an offer of something like 60 books, because they look like good reads, and then post them on ebay 6 days later. That would be messed up... Oh wait.

ok I shipped my items to Chip the next day (Sat.) I have no doubt that Harv is going to send me mine, even though he hasn't yet. (He bought me something special on ebay and has to wait for it to be delivered to him. :cloud9:) Chip will get his on Mon or Tue. I sent it Priority so it gets there pretty fast. Is this scenerio a potential problem for other boardies? Shipping out before you receive your items? Just curious.

Not for me. :whistle:

How about all of them there giving and trading threads? Think we should have a "giving/trading" sub-forum?

:baiting:

:idea::grin:

I assume that people will find a way to exploit the system regardless of the rules in place. At least here there is no taboo about comparing values between offers and there is veto power given to the offerer. I really think that takes care of most of the bottom feeders.

When you get to the point where you have to start worrying about multiple people colluding to game the system or outright theft, you've done a decent job with initial rules.

The overwhelming majority of the board members that participate in these threads are completely honest. Out of the dozens of items I have been lucky enough to claim, I have only had one person jerk me around a little bit. That is pretty impressive.

ok I shipped my items to Chip the next day (Sat.) I have no doubt that Harv is going to send me mine, even though he hasn't yet. (He bought me something special on ebay and has to wait for it to be delivered to him. :cloud9:) Chip will get his on Mon or Tue. I sent it Priority so it gets there pretty fast. Is this scenerio a potential problem for other boardies? Shipping out before you receive your items? Just curious.

I shipped out Lyle's Star Wars books the day after via Priority Mail as well. As far as I'm concerned if someone claims stuff I put up I get it out ASAP. Regardless if anyone ships anything to me I'm going to take care of my own offer.

Bill, your stuff to me is scheduled to show up in about an hour. I'm psyched! :)

Peace,

Chip