• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

Also yes this all started when Topcat for no reason at all had a fit. That made no sense but that started it all. And the term Hot Seat has been used a bt. Its not used as a bad thing. Its the hot seat, you know , your center stage now. Dont think anyone uses it as a bad thing .

As for what can be done to prevent donkeys , abusers etc. I suppose as long as its optional the person who offering up a PIF can list any members who he will not give a PIF to. but again thats strange in a PIF thread that is all about giving. but seems it is needed i guess. Man who would have thought that being nice is so hard. No rules anyone has will prevent donkeys and abusers . they will figure out a way to get what they want.

Rule XXXX

"The person on the hot seat has the right to refuse to give his pay it forward to up to two individuals in a 1 week period"

still the best option ive seen

"though we need a rules lawyer to fix the wording"

Rule XXXX

"The person on the hot seat has the right to refuse to give his pay it forward to up to two individuals in a 1 week period"

I definitely agree that whoever it is offering up something should be allowed to say "no" to anyone they want to. I don't get the bolded part of your rule? hm I firmly agree that this might make things a lot better. People watch the thread. They have a list of people they don't want to send things to whether they admit it or not. I don't even think they need a "disclaimer" per se.

Bottom Line: If someone offers up something and someone THEY personally feel is a donkey and don't want them to claim it - that person should have the right to just say "no." 1Cool did it and I thought it was amazing. :golfclap: He said "no" to cemetery and the thread continued on. It wasn't the end of days. The thread wasn't over. Heck, it wasn't even a blip on the radar.

So if someone offers up a Pay-It-Forward offering and they don't want topcat, Meeklo, Big.Daddy, Mmkiller or anyone else they chose to claim it - when the person does claim it, just say "no." It's like personal lists in sales threads. People can choose to give things to anyone they choose to and they shouldn't be forced to feed donkeys if they don't want to. I think if that rule were implemented, people might feel better about returning to PIF. 2c

Rule XXXX

"The person on the hot seat has the right to refuse to give his pay it forward to up to any individual they feel ahs acted as a Donkey previously in the thread"

someone needs to edit this correctly

I

Am

NOT

A

RULES

Lawyer

seriously I suck at it.

oh and I would like to officially request the original rules be amended from requiring 50 posts to requiring 500 posts. Its my belief that would help ID junk accounts. "50 nice book dude posts are doable in 1 day"

I strongly feel that there is no need for any additional rules.

If you want to protect the PIF, please employ a disclaimer list with your offering(s). It can be that simple.

I simplified Meeklo's case (not knowing all the details)

THIS was my issue with what you posted Claudio and led to my sarcastic response. You had proclaimed that no one had any right to call Meeklo a junk donkey in "ANY WAY". It felt like you were dismissing valid allegations by others and insulting to the several people that had been wronged by him. Especially since Meeklo was candid and admitted that he wronged some. It felt like you were saying - I've had good dealings with Meeklo on a personal level so you're all wrong in your opinions.

I stated that you made blanket statements. It's an all-encompassing statement, that is not strictly true. For example: 'Everyone likes ice-cream'.

People read what you write and some that haven't been in the thread long and like you may believe what you've said as the truth. It was a misguided statement based on your own dealings and it frustrated me. You were making a conclusory statement without having all of the information. Did I lay into you and explain how you were completely wrong? No. I made a short, sarcastic response. Would me laying out Meeklo's prior transgressions from the start have been the better alternative? (shrug)

You’re right, it’s probably the tone that put me off.

Actually my statement was also expressed badly: I took that instance as an example but what made me confident in Meeklo‘s good will has been getting to know him better, although I cannot obviously say I know most people well here we continued to chat and that example was the first that came to my mind.

After reading all of the informations (and I must give Meeklo's credit here as he clearly explained me via PM what happened between him and CAHokie in detail) I obviously agree that he did not behave in a great way, but most of these facts were from a confined time-span, and shortly after his early PIF and the Giving Tree discussion. Time has passed and to me even a single hour can make a person different, even if he can’t obviously make up instantly for his actions – my initial reaction came from the fact Bobo listed him together with others whose current attitude shows little signs of humility and acknowledgment of the criticism. I think this is evident from Frank (topcat) reply: obviously no one meant to humiliate him for the sake of it, but I always feel sarcasm as problematic.

I preferred the straightforward, although harsh, detailed reproach from tech, I hope everyone will look at all the discussion as a learning experience.

Claudio, just an aside: your command of the English language is better than that of the vast majority of native speakers. Vocab, grammar and syntax are spot on. I am embarrassed for myself that I no doubt could not cobble together a single sentence in Italian.

Now, your sympathetic ear on the otherhand ...

Claudio, just an aside: your command of the English language is better than that of the vast majority of native speakers. Vocab, grammar and syntax are spot on. I am embarrassed for myself that I no doubt could not cobble together a single sentence in Italian.

Now, your sympathetic ear on the otherhand ...

When I am writing quickly and without a vocabulary at hand I am always so sure I have been making many errors, in verbs tenses, terms etc. – I am also sure to some degree I am in danger of being misunderstood, if I try to articulate complex sentences.

I can’t even remember how long ago I used a paper dictionary: surely years, when I made several attempts in translating some novels and essays (all left incomplete) but I’d surely enjoy to do so, as online dictionary will never be the same.

Italian is a lot more difficult, especially for an english or german person. I was amazed at Ratzinger's command of italian and french (also spoken): Pope Bergoglio speaks a quite faulty italian, although the grammar should be easier for him being of spanish language.

For a french mother tongue italian would be surely easier to learn: one of my best friends is from the Ivory Coast and his italian is pretty good, although he’s italian now, as he obtained the citizenship. :)

It is amazing the difference in tone here versus this weekend eve though the same points are being addressed, well done y'all! I hope this continues

:censored: the whole lot of ya, you dumpster diving junk donkeys.

stirsthepot3.gif.pagespeed.ce.ZUBQ1kGxgI.gif

I can't believe there are so many people advocating for the type of people that abuse and take advantage of the good and generous members of this forum. It's absolutely absurd and frankly shameful.

Since most of you advocates haven't been in the PIF game long here's my personal experiences.

Donkey #1 claimed over 60 books I had offered including a nice set of Infinity Gauntlet because all the books looked like "good reads". A week later they were discovered on eBay. His justification when confronted, they were his duplicates... Apparently he never read his own copies???

Donkey #2 was caught selling books I gave him here in a sales thread. His justification was that they were being sold well below market value...

In regards to selling stuff you get from the PIF, you own it now so do what you want with it. But maybe wait more than a week, be less obvious that you're just poaching PIF and don't rub our noses in it?

Now Donkey #3 just never sent it the offers people claimed, 5 or 6 of them, including mine. Yep he claimed 5 or 6 things and didn't send out his junk for nearly 2 months before people got the courage to confront him.

I'm not even going to count the number of instances I can only assume I've been taken advantage of. I've given dozens and dozens (maybe more), PIF offers over the years. To my own fault and foolishness I've claimed lesser offers no one wanted to help keep the thread moving forward, then dug deep to give great quality offers in return. I've put more into this thread then probably anyone, and some off you have the nerve to say people like me who are finally fed up and voicing our concerns are the problem.... You have no idea what you're talking about.

We aren't "just being mean or negative", we're trying to prevent you from having to go through all the and heartache we have, and you spit in our faces and tell us we are the problem when you've been here for a month or two and have idea what we've done to try and make this idea work.

It really is shameful, and I hope others outline all there bad experiences and/or what made them walk away from the thread, because you also don't realize there used to be dozens of people who were active PIF players. It wasn't always just you same 6 people swapping stuff.

I can't believe there are so many people advocating for the type of people that abuse and take advantage of the good and generous members of this forum. It's absolutely absurd and frankly shameful.

Since most of you advocates haven't been in the PIF game long here's my personal experiences.

Donkey #1 claimed over 60 books I had offered including a nice set of Infinity Gauntlet because all the books looked like "good reads". A week later they were discovered on eBay. His justification when confronted, they were his duplicates... Apparently he never read his own copies???

Donkey #2 was caught selling books I gave him here in a sales thread. His justification was that they were being sold well below market value...

In regards to selling stuff you get from the PIF, you own it now so do what you want with it. But maybe wait more than a week, be less obvious that you're just poaching PIF and don't rub our noses in it?

Now Donkey #3 just never sent it the offers people claimed, 5 or 6 of them, including mine. Yep he claimed 5 or 6 things and didn't send out his junk for nearly 2 months before people got the courage to confront him.

I'm not even going to count the number of instances I can only assume I've been taken advantage of. I've give dozens and dozens (maybe more), PIF offers over the years. To my own fault and foolishness I've claimed lesser offers no one wanted to help keep the thread moving forward, the dug deep to give great quality offers in return. I've put more into this thread then probably anyone, and some off you have the nerve to say people like me who are finally fed up and voicing our concerns are the problem.... You have no idea what you're talking about.

We aren't "just being mean or negative", we're trying to prevent you from having to go through all the and heartache we have, and you spit in our faces and tell us we are the problem when you've been here for a month or two and have idea what we've done to try and make this idea work.

It really is shameful, and I hope others outline all there bad experiences and/or what made them walk away from the thread, because you also don't realize there used to be dozens of people who were active PIF players. It wasn't always just you same 6 people swapping stuff.

:applause: Thank you for saying this Techie. I can say that you saved the thread so many times when things sat there for weeks at a time with no movement.