• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

You mean the current offer that never really changed and make it sound like he took the last offer so someone would get the previous offer.

Been wanting to use this one:

Conspiracy_zpsz607levq.png

If we did a poll like Kav suggested would the current offer be considered a good one or a bad one. Not picking on the current offer but just trying to gauge how it theoretically would work. I'm hoping the guy with the current offer has thick skin and takes this as information - good or bad.

Sure I do. People will either like it(them) or they won't. :foryou:

They're what I collect and what I've upgraded over time, so they're the books I can spare.

That's why I like the "Don't ship until the next is claimed" rule. My concern is if jaeldubyoo's claim is held up (not sure if it reverts back that far).

I think this statement is one of the biggest reasons the PIF has issues (other then Meeklo). You are offering up the books you "can spare" rather then the books you think the next guy would want equal if not more then a JO 134 & 135. It appears you don't really have much interest in paying it forward but would rather use the thread to get rid of some of your under copies. Am I reading this correctly?

If we did a poll like Kav suggested would the current offer be considered a good one or a bad one. Not picking on the current offer but just trying to gauge how it theoretically would work. I'm hoping the guy with the current offer has thick skin and takes this as information - good or bad.

They're what I collect and what I've upgraded over time, so they're the books I can spare.

That's why I like the "Don't ship until the next is claimed" rule. My concern is if jaeldubyoo's claim is held up (not sure if it reverts back that far).

I think this statement is one of the biggest reasons the PIF has issues (other then Meeklo). You are offering up the books you "can spare" rather then the books you think the next guy would want equal if not more then a JO 134 & 135. It appears you don't really have much interest in paying it forward but would rather use the thread to get rid of some of your under copies. Am I reading this correctly?

lol

I would argue the opposite. This idea of pay it forward is its demise

Who doesn't give away what they are done with? Trades and full runs that have been read already

The idea of 'Pay It Forward' is simple: you're supposed to give something away with nothing expected in return. Quite honestly, anyone who has given something away probably shouldn't be allowed to pick anything up. That's the true nature of PIF IMO.

If you've taken something then you should be giving away substantially more than you've taken, not equal, not close, not maybe more. It should be the type of giveaway that is beyond reproach, meaning it's not borderline questionable.

The problem is that everyone values things differently - it's not always about cost, it's about giving something away that has a stronger value to you personally.

And for this reason I agree, a public PIF thread is a disaster because everyone values things differently and it opens the road to arguments.

I'm sure that those that know they are not operating in the spirit of it will get bit in the arse by karma (or whatever you want to call it) at some point. I sure hope they do. :grin:

lol

ztn94.jpg

lol

ztn94.jpg

Touche

Not entirely, but I'll have to reply in a couple hours.