• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Forum Philanthropy

132 posts in this topic

Finally!! The CGC Forums Second Annual Charity Drive!

“The CGC Forums Give Thanks”

Here we go – let’s get ready for the Second Annual Charity Drive. As a reminder, last year we raised over $1,500 for ACTOR, CBDLF and Comics4Kids! This year the goal is $5,000. I know we can do it. I’ve had a tremendous experience in the last year furthering relationships or establishing new ones with people on these boards and I know that together $5K will be a breeze.

Here’s the game plan:

Last year went really well but this year we have EXPERIENCE on our side and TONS of new board members!

-DONATIONS of MERCHANDISE-

This year to reach the $5K goal I am asking every forum member to donate $50 - $100 worth of merchandise. As opposed to last year with a forum only auction in the market place and then a round of merchandise on ebay, this year everything will be auctioned off on ebay. Why? Well, for two reasons: (1) ebay has more eyeballs and (2) this will also remove the double burden of donating and bidding on the items from the forum members.

-DONATIONS of TIME-

Want to be involved but don’t have the means to make a financial impact this time around? Believe me, there is LOTS to do! I need help with the following:

-writing the ebay auction code

-keeping the database of the donations and the sale prices

-reaching out to the larger comic community to spread awareness

-webhosting of scans / pics of the merchandise

-tons more that I am forgetting but once this gets underway I know will pop up!

FEEDBACK

Please let me know your thoughts. I found that last year the things that went the best were suggestions and actions from other forumites

Here’s the timeline:

September 27nd – October 18th Solicit and Collect Donations

October 19th – October 31st – Ebay the merchandise under the id “cgcforums”

November 10th – Distribute the funds to the Charities with time to spare for Thanksgiving

Here are the specifics:

1 – if you have a donation of merchandise please either pm me or post it on this thread. Please ship your donation to:

David Matteini

201 East 12th St

Apt 511

New York, NY 10003

Although if you are using UPS or FedEx please pm me for my work address

2 – if you want to donate your time please either pm me or post it on this thread. We’ll talk more soon,

3 – Keep your eyes out for the items starting October 19th (hopefully) for sale by “cgcforums”

Here’s what we have so far:

The donation list is pretty impressive! Thank you to those that have already donated!

BronzeBruce / Greggy:

-Iron Fist 5 cgc 9.0 oww

-Astonishing Tales 1 cgc 9.2 cow

-What If 35 cgc 9.6 w

-Ms. Marvel 5 cgc 9.6 oww

-Iron Fist 12 cgc 9.4 oww (variant label – says Iron Man 12)

-Incredible Hulk 186 cgc 9.4 oww

-Shazam 8 cgc 9.2 w

-House of Mystery229 cgc 9.0 oww

-Tarzan 207 cgc 9.0 cow

-DC 100 Page Supr Spectacular 14 cgc 9.0A oww small amount of CT on cover

-Marvel Two In One 1 cgc 9.2 w

Osborne France

-Batman 199 raw 7.0/7.5 oww

-Batman 207 raw 7.0 ow

-Silkeo 1 raw 9.4 w

-Spiderwoman 1 raw 9.0/9.2 oww

-HOS 114 raw 7.0 ow

Beyonder

-Spectacular Spider-Man 1 cgc 9.2 oww

-Marvel Team Up 141 cgc 9.2 oww

-Wolverine 4 cgc 9.6 w

-ASM v2 36 cgc 9.0 w

Dam60

-Batman 497 cgc 9.8 w

CGC

-donation to come, still talking to Steve B about this

And we’re off!! A special thank you to everyone who contributed last year and those who have given already this year. It was a great success. This year with some better organization and a broader reach I know that we can reach $5K.

This does make a difference. Volunteering at ACTOR booths I have had people come up to me and thank me for giving them a helping hand when they needed it. Comic4Kids gives away comics to children to foster reading and CBLDF fights for free speech for all. There is a need and here’s a way that we can give back to our community of comicdom.

And with that we’re off!

893applaud-thumb.gif

I can offer some hosting space for pics. My HTML is not great, but if you're desperate I can help. I can probably maintain an already created database as well. Let me know what and when. I'll also dig around and see what I can send for the auction.

(I also asked Arch to stick this thread at the top of the page 893crossfingers-thumb.gif)

How about donations of cash (via PayPal) instead?

I agree with Surfer, it would be very convenient to be able to just give a cash donation. It'll save the organizers some time and effort (and ebay fees) too!

Either way, PayPal or books, count me in.

Cash donations are great! Once I get all the other monies from the auction I would welcome any donations to be sent to me. Great idea thumbsup2.gif

I just spoke to Steve B and he has offered:

-1 Economy Submission

-3 Standard Submissions

we're on the way! smile.gifyay.gif

Can we donate non comicbook related items to auction off?

I could donate a Frank Lloyd Wright style Stained Glass Panel.

I still have several left from a local Art Show I was in last month.

Lemme know, I can also dig around and find a comic or 3 for you to sell off.

Ze-