• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you are going to sell books to other boardies...

355 posts in this topic

I'm not going to out the board member.

But recently I had to open a package and the individual_without_enough_empathy took his shreded papers and used that as extra protection for 10 slabs that were already heavily bubble wrapped.

The individual_without_enough_empathy had to just take random papers and shred the mess up so much that there was no way not to make a mess.

it was total wildly_fanciful_statement.

I was hoping to tell him at Fan Expo but i never saw him. :sorry:

That reminds me of the yard by yard - or meter by meter for the rest of the world - sized box that someone from a big city shipped me, with one slab, and all the shredding and garbage from their storefront. I had to conclude it was cheaper to mail garbage out of that city than dispose of it through the local sanitation service.

It really was classic :lol:

I <3 CG. :luhv:
Thankfully, it's got threads like this going for it, not just HBD threads...., ;)

:sorry:

:lol: I'm working on your self-esteem...., :baiting:

So the people who charge $6 shipping for one book and send it media mail with shoddy packaging aren't worrying about their bottom line?

The key to your statement - and the purpose of this thread - is shoddy packaging. I can package cheaply and I can use media mail (though one shouldn't for comics because they don't qualify) and STILL package securely.

Cardboard and newsprint make great packaging materials and can be easily sourced for free. As can cardboard boxes. Ask your family and friends to save them or take your aluminum cans to the recyling center and leave with newsprint and some cardboard boxes. The only things you have to purchase for packaging is a box cutter and tape. Both last a long time.

So it can be cheap and shoddily packaged or cheap and securely packaged. If the person is fairly new, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they don't know how to do it right. If they've been around a while then stupid and/or lazy is more likely.

I'm not going to out the board member.

But recently I had to open a package and the individual_without_enough_empathy took his shreded papers and used that as extra protection for 10 slabs that were already heavily bubble wrapped.

The individual_without_enough_empathy had to just take random papers and shred the mess up so much that there was no way not to make a mess.

it was total wildly_fanciful_statement.

I was hoping to tell him at Fan Expo but i never saw him. :sorry:

That reminds me of the yard by yard - or meter by meter for the rest of the world - sized box that someone from a big city shipped me, with one slab, and all the shredding and garbage from their storefront. I had to conclude it was cheaper to mail garbage out of that city than dispose of it through the local sanitation service.

It really was classic :lol:

:roflmao:

If anyone has a furniture store nearby, you can raid their cardboard recycling dumpster and get all the double-thick cardboard you want. It does dull the hell out of razor blades quickly, but the protection it gives comics are worth the small expense.

-slym

If anyone has a furniture store nearby, you can raid their cardboard recycling dumpster and get all the double-thick cardboard you want. It does dull the hell out of razor blades quickly, but the protection it gives comics are worth the small expense.

-slym

Not directed at Slym personally...

Not a great idea... people throw all sorts of garbage in dumpsters even when marked for dry and hard goods only.

Umm... there be bugs that sometimes crawl into the mesh spaces of cardboard that size and lay their eggs in there. If anyone, and I mean anyone does business with me and you ship me your dumpster diving bug box cardboard, do not expect to do business with me and whoever agrees with me after I 'out' that person for doing so.

Not directed at Buzz personally...

I would never dumpster-dive in a big-city dumpster. Here in rural NC, it's a little safer, as far as unwanted stuff in the recycling bin.

I also figured out the shipment days of my local stores, so stuff isn't sitting out for long if I grab it this way.

Just some clarification.

-slym

-slym

Not directed at Slym personally...

Not a great idea... people throw all sorts of garbage in dumpsters even when marked for dry and hard goods only.

Umm... there be bugs that sometimes crawl into the mesh spaces of cardboard that size and lay their eggs in there. If anyone, and I mean anyone does business with me and you ship me your dumpster diving bug box cardboard, do not expect to do business with me and whoever agrees with me after I 'out' that person for doing so.

I think we can count on Slym - or me - not to use cardboard that has been around garbage. I rarely need to go look for cardboard as I mostly use priority mail boxes that are free from the USPS. But there are mountains of clean, dry cardboard at the recycling center ran by a local park.

I would never dumpster-dive in a big-city dumpster. Here in rural NC, it's a little safer, as far as unwanted stuff in the recycling bin.

I also figured out the shipment days of my local stores, so stuff isn't sitting out for long if I grab it this way.

Just some clarification.

-slym

I know you know what I see that goes on around here in this section of Brooklyn. If someone saw a mess stained dress that was 70's retro some girl would go dumpster diving just to eventually wear something 'different'.

It jades your opinion when you hear anything resembling the words 'dumpster dive'

I have no idea what you wrote there cause I scrolled past it , but I'm sure it's just another whinefest. Which is why I scrolled past it. :)

One person's whine is another person's melody.

:cloud9:

Tim "Ripper" Owens' scream on 10,000 STRONG should be in the top 5 of this list IMHO

Just some clarification.

I know you know what I see that goes on around here in this section of Brooklyn. If someone saw a mess stained dress that was 70's retro some girl would go dumpster diving just to eventually wear something 'different'.

It jades your opinion when you hear anything resembling the words 'dumpster dive'

Totally understand!!!

:D

-slym

I've only got one objective when I'm packing and that's to make sure what I'm sending reaches you in the same condition I sent it.

I presume the package will be crushed, drop kicked by the USPS and get rained on and and I package accordingly.

If those things happen it will hopefully survive, if they don't then it's all good. (thumbs u

lol This post is just majestic, it's got everything! Irony, dishonesty, semantics, stupidity, obfuscation, insincerity, deceit, and hypocrisy. You truly are the master of BS, Roy :acclaim:

I can't wait to see where The Weasel will strike next! Rzzzzzzz!

Tell you what, Stu, when you openly act this way in front of a group of people that you respect and hold dear...maybe in your workplace...then maybe someone will value what you have to say. Until then you are just empty air with a vengeance. You bring nothing to the table but an empty name. Kind of like a fart.

I've openly showed my face and my name at every show I go to for everyone to judge.

I'm OK with the status quo and I'm done making a spectacle of nothing.

There are so many amazing areas of life to tend to that I actually regret wasting the time and effort I have spent on this thread. Sometimes you try to do the right thing and it fails. This is one of them.

I wish you the best (and I mean that genuinely).

Later.

Just some clarification.

Totally understand!!!

:D

-slym

Professionals don't actually dive in anymore - they use a Bum Hook TM

This isn`t directed at anybody personally, but are people making good profits off these type of generic common comic books after EBay fees, PayPal fees,postage costs, postage supply materials, labor costs to pack the comics and CGC fees?

I could see selling comic book keys or movie hyped comic books, but I don`t see how people really are making good profits off of generic readers after all the fees.

So is it worth it to go to all the trouble if your just selling dreck or common run of the mill stuff?

Like I said I could see comic book keys, and movie hyped comic books, but it seems just having a regular job paying minimum wage would be even more profitable then just selling average stuff after all the fees one must pay.

Thoughts?

btw I am just curious if it`s profitable to sell these type of average common comic books. I am not trying to be snarky.