• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you are going to sell books to other boardies...

355 posts in this topic

This isn`t directed at anybody personally, but are people making good profits off these type of generic common comic books after EBay fees, PayPal fees ,postage costs, postage supply materials, labor costs to pack the comics and CGC fees?

I could see selling comic book keys or movie hyped comic books, but I don`t see how people really are making good profits off of generic readers after all the fees.

So is it worth it to go to all the trouble if your just selling dreck or common run of the mill stuff?

Like I said I could see comic book keys, and movie hyped comic books, but it seems just having a regular job paying minimum wage would be even more profitable then just selling average stuff after all the fees one must pay.

Thoughts?

btw I am just curious if it`s profitable to sell these type of average common comic books. I am not trying to be snarky.

One problem for most is that it is already in stock from a lifetime of collecting - so the cost is truly sunk. So yes, anything you can get out of it is probably worth it, it just depends how much work you are willing to do. And yes, minimum wage may pay more in the end, but at least I can do it at home.

This isn`t directed at anybody personally, but are people making good profits off these type of generic common comic books after EBay fees, PayPal fees ,postage costs, postage supply materials, labor costs to pack the comics and CGC fees?

I could see selling comic book keys or movie hyped comic books, but I don`t see how people really are making good profits off of generic readers after all the fees.

So is it worth it to go to all the trouble if your just selling dreck or common run of the mill stuff?

Like I said I could see comic book keys, and movie hyped comic books, but it seems just having a regular job paying minimum wage would be even more profitable then just selling average stuff after all the fees one must pay.

Thoughts?

btw I am just curious if it`s profitable to sell these type of average common comic books. I am not trying to be snarky.

One problem for most is that it is already in stock from a lifetime of collecting - so the cost is truly sunk. So yes, anything you can get out of it is probably worth it, it just depends how much work you are willing to do. And yes, minimum wage may pay more in the end, but at least I can do it at home.

So true. Go read my "loss" thread (not counting entertainment value of course... just monetary) from a few months back concerning books I bought at cover price that are in the 50 cent and $1 bins now. Thousands of dollars lost over time :sorry:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=294539&Number=6583802#Post6583802

If anyone has a furniture store nearby, you can raid their cardboard recycling dumpster and get all the double-thick cardboard you want. It does dull the hell out of razor blades quickly, but the protection it gives comics are worth the small expense.

-slym

C'mon Slym, you don't use the appliance cardboard, you use those plastic signs you hack up and ship with. rantrant

:P

Which works better than cardboard! lol

This isn`t directed at anybody personally, but are people making good profits off these type of generic common comic books after EBay fees, PayPal fees,postage costs, postage supply materials, labor costs to pack the comics and CGC fees?

Thoughts?

Probably more than one answer here.

Canned corn doesn't cost much at the store - and the store makes very little per can. Maybe just a nickel. But if you sell enough of them, nickels add up.

If you are dealer selling such, you have to buy it cheap. After a while most dealers get tired of handling such because of limited time. Many will look at trying to sell more than one issue at a time. Lots of 10 or 20 books. But there are a few places making good money selling large lots (500 to 50,000 comics) of this stuff at a time.

If you are a collector and just wanting to get rid of low value stuff, you just tough it out and spend the time. It's not a hobby if you don't spend time and money on it anyway.

1 - I liked meeting Steve Borock - we spoke some music for a bit... very interesting guy.

2 - I have a Fantasy Football draft that starts in 6 minutes. I have number two overall in a wrap around draft 10 teams... I am taking Martin as #1 overall will obviously be taking Peterson.

Did anyone watch Pettis make Henderson tap out last night? Mir vs. Barnett? Guida ? Anyone?

1 - I liked meeting Steve Borock - we spoke some music for a bit... very interesting guy.

2 - I have a Fantasy Football draft that starts in 6 minutes. I have number two overall in a wrap around draft 10 teams... I am taking Martin as #1 overall will obviously be taking Peterson.

Did anyone watch Pettis make Henderson tap out last night? Mir vs. Barnett? Guida ? Anyone?

Nope.... draft 1.... tonight is draft 2 for the other league.

In retrospect I could have joined one of the board leagues just for and giggles. Next year perhaps.

I did! UFC fan here.

Pettis is a force...I don't always like his swagger (what the hell though, with a nickname like 'show time' what do you expect) but I think Henderson's time was coming. Too many close calls and I think after that stunt with Melendez (the lame proposal), he needed to be brought back down to earth, angel wings and all.

I thought the Mir vs Barnett fight was stopped a tad too early. It seems Mir allows himself to get bullied up against the cage by bigger guys and does not scramble enough to get off the cage...But what do I know? I think we should have a Mir Barnett II but Mir has lost what, 3 straight?

Guida got KO'd...Mendez might be a guy to watch but Guida has been less interesting as of late. He seems not to be his wild man self.

Again though, just a fan, not an expert...

I did! UFC fan here.

Pettis is a force...I don't always like his swagger (what the hell though, with a nickname like 'show time' what do you expect) but I think Henderson's time was coming. Too many close calls and I think after that stunt with Melendez (the lame proposal), he needed to be brought back down to earth, angel wings and all.

I thought the Mir vs Barnett fight was stopped a tad too early. It seems Mir allows himself to get bullied up against the cage by bigger guys and does not scramble enough to get off the cage...But what do I know? I think we should have a Mir Barnett II but Mir has lost what, 3 straight?

Guida got KO'd...Mendez might be a guy to watch Guida has been less interesting as of late. He seems not to be his wild man self.

Pettis vs. Aldo: if it happens that will be one sick fight.

I'd glady watch Mir/Barnett II. Mir is just inconsistent: he KOs and taps Nog, beats Big Country, but loses to Cromier?? Pettis is an animal. Guida's frantic pace is his own worst enemy.

I did! UFC fan here.

Guida got KO'd...Mendez might be a guy to watch Guida has been less interesting as of late. He seems not to be his wild man self.

Pettis vs. Aldo: if it happens that will be one sick fight.

I'd glady watch Mir/Barnett II. Mir is just inconsistent: he KOs and taps Nog, beats Big Country, but loses to Cromier?? Pettis is an animal. Guida's frantic pace is his own worst enemy.

But.. Do all these guys know how to pack and ship comics correctly. :insane:

This isn`t directed at anybody personally, but are people making good profits off these type of generic common comic books after EBay fees, PayPal fees,postage costs, postage supply materials, labor costs to pack the comics and CGC fees?

Thoughts?

I've always been afraid to even list a bunch of dollar comics, and I really don't feel like scanning a thousand comics that MIGHT sell for a dollar. So I sell in lots, try to get fifty cents to a dollar each, and sell through them pretty decent. Considering they were mostly comics I bought in bulk for between a nickel and a dime, or comics I was desperate to unload due to space, not too bad. But it wasn't easy, required a lot of work, and I would not consider doing it as a money making venture again. I'm no longer interested in buying truckloads of drek for tree fiddy.

If anyone has a furniture store nearby, you can raid their cardboard recycling dumpster and get all the double-thick cardboard you want. It does dull the hell out of razor blades quickly, but the protection it gives comics are worth the small expense.

C'mon Slym, you don't use the appliance cardboard, you use those plastic signs you hack up and ship with. rantrant

:P

Which works better than cardboard! lol

I use both - after I have depleted the area of plastic signs, I move to the cardboard.

:D

And I swear, the corrugated plastic is as light as regular cardboard and as strong as the double-thick.

-slym

I had the same problem recently. I'll leave the seller un-named because he is a regular here, but this is unacceptable. The package was a bubble-mailer, with the comics and one piece of cardboard.

q4ud.jpg

0qp0.jpg

Wow. I would be seriously pissed if I came home to see that. Its good to see that you got a refund though.