• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I finally got my grail. Thought it would never, and COULD never, happen!

49 posts in this topic

:applause:

Yes, another congratulatory post, but boy, what an achievement.

OK, so what's the next challenge. Upgrades for the SOTI books - or perhaps a shot at a "Parade of Pleasure" run?

C'mon - you're a collector. It's in the blood. :baiting:

Oh, and any chance of a group shot or shots? :shy:

Thanks so much for the kind words, everybody.

The group shot would be fun. It probably won't be soon, but eventually I'll work on getting it together.

As for what's next... My secondary focus for a while has been the other books from that era: Parade of Pleasure, Love & Death, the NY Legislature's docs, the US Senate doc, books Wertham cited in the Saturday Review of Literature. I already have a smattering of these books, but these days my collecting budget is limited because my focus is (happily) on my family. Plus there's the fact that none of these other books like L&D or POP had the influence that SOTI had.

Nowadays, I'm actually more into collecting information than collecting objects. As I find the time to put into collecting, I'm more likely to spend time trying to identify the "lost SOTI books" (ones used in SOTI that have not yet been identified) than trying to acquire books from POP and L&D.

BTW, here's my new baby.

NightingaleFC.jpg

Is there much unidentified material?

So I acquired these 125 books, and more.

A1 Guns of Fact and Fiction 13

All-Famous Crime 9

All-Top 14

Authentic Police Cases 3

Authentic Police Cases 6

Beware 6

Beware 12

Beyond 27

Black Cat Comics 27

Black Cat Mystery 36

Black Cat Mystery 39

Blue Beetle 54

Blue Beetle 56

Brenda Starr v2#4

Bugs Bunny Four Color 250

Captain Video 2

Chamber of Chills 7

Classic Comics Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde 13

Classic Comics Robinson Crusoe 10

Classic Comics Uncle Tom's Cabin 15

Classics Illustrated Great Expectations 43

Classics Illustrated Julius Caesar 68

Classics Illustrated Mysteries of Paris 44

Classics Illustrated Silas Marner 55

Classics Illustrated The Adventures of Tom Sawyer 50

Crime and Punishment 2

Crime and Punishment 3

Crime and Punishment 16

Crime and Punishment 59

Crime Can't Win 10

Crime Clinic 3

Crime Detective 9

Crime Does Not Pay 78

Crime Files 5

Crime Reporter 2

Crime Smashers 1

Crime SuspenStories 19

Crime SuspenStories 20

Crimes By Women 3

Crimes By Women 10

Dagar, Desert Hawk 19

Dagar, Desert Hawk 21

Dynamic Comics 17

Eerie Adventures 1

Exposed 6

Exposed 7

Famous Crimes 3

First Love Illustrated 35

Frontier Romances 1

Frontline Combat 4

Fugitives From Justice 3

Harvey Comics Library 1

Haunt Of Fear 19

Haunt Of Fear 23

Haunt Of Fear 17 (#3)

Hopalong Cassidy 5

Famous Crimes 7

Hopalong Cassidy & the Mad Barber nn

Howdy Doody 6

Hunted 13

Ideal, A Classical Comic 3

Inside Crime 2

Jon Juan 1

Journey Into Fear 15

Jungle Comics 98

Justice Traps the Guilty 13

Justice Traps the Guilty 58

Kewpies 1

Killers 1

Law Against Crime 3

Lawbreakers Always Lose 7

Martin Kane 4

Meet Corliss Archer 1

Meet Corliss Archer 2

Meet Corliss Archer 3

Murder Incorporated 8

Murder Incorporated 9

My Life (previously Meet Corliss Archer) 4

Mysterious Adventures 11

Out of This World Adventures 2

Perfect Crime 11

Peter Penny and his Magic Dollar nn

Phantom Lady 17

Planet Comics 53

Public Enemies 2

Real Clue v3#9

Red Seal Comics 16

Reform School Girl nn

Rulah, Jungle Goddess 21

Rulah, Jungle Goddess 22

Sensation Comics 81

Shock SuspenStories 4

Spook 24

Stories by Famous Authors Illustrated 6

Story of Harry S Truman nn

Strange Adventures 39

Strange Mysteries 10

Strange Worlds 2

Super Duck 22

Superboy 2

Superman 55

Tegra, Jungle Empress 1

Terrifying Tales 15

Terrors of the Jungle 17

Thing 9

Tom Mix Western 9

Top Secrets 7

Trapped! 0

True Crime Comics v1#2

True Crime Comics v1#4

True Crime Comics v2#1

Underworld 2

Wanted 12

Wanted 35

Web of Evil 1

Weird Fantasy 16

Weird Mysteries 7

Weird Science 19

Western Adventures 3

Wild Boy of the Congo v1#10

Women Outlaws 1

Wonder Woman 49

Your United States nn

Zoot 14

Some, I learned, weren't really used in SOTI, but I kept them around just because Overstreet erroneously says they were. And I was fortunate to come across some others that had not yet been discovered by the collecting public, such as:

Batman 64

Batman 67

Gang Busters 3

True Love Problems and Advice Illustrated 11

Tween Age Digest 1

World's Finest Comics 44

WOW! Now that's a collector! GREAT WORK! :applause::headbang::applause:

Another acquisition of THE NIGHTINGALE was discussed here:

Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered!

As mentioned there, can we please see the inside pages to see if it is truly a "comic book" or more like a "floppy" children's book?

As a/THE SOTI Collector, did you see on eBay this copy of SOTI on eBay that had been used for dozens of autographs and sketches from comic book creators? A true one of a kind copy!

Nowadays, I'm actually more into collecting information than collecting objects. As I find the time to put into collecting, I'm more likely to spend time trying to identify the "lost SOTI books" (ones used in SOTI that have not yet been identified) than trying to acquire books from POP and L&D.

By my count, it's 32 unidentified SOTI books to go.

The details are here: Seduction of the Innocent Website - Lost SOTI books

Great detective work on the linked page! (thumbs u

WOW! Now that's a collector! GREAT WORK! :applause::headbang::applause:

Another acquisition of THE NIGHTINGALE was discussed here:

Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered!

As mentioned there, can we please see the inside pages to see if it is truly a "comic book" or more like a "floppy" children's book?

As a/THE SOTI Collector, did you see on eBay this copy of SOTI on eBay that had been used for dozens of autographs and sketches from comic book creators? A true one of a kind copy!

Thanks. You're right, it's more like a floppy children's book. It was constructed like a comic book, but it doesn't tell the story in panel form.

From a prior thread quite a while back

Prior thread on The Nightingale

It's really rather a stretch to call this a comic book. The story inside is not told in panel form. It's a text story of Hans Christian Anderson's "The Nightingale", with illustrations by Dong Kingman. The book's resemblance to a comic book is in its form rather than its content. It's printed on sheets of paper (white paper, not 1940's newsprint) that are folded over and stapled in the middle, and the end result is about the size of a comic book. I'd describe it more like a saddle-stiched children's book with a paper cover than a comic book.

Interior photo to come.

Yes, I did see that copy of SOTI with lots of autographs on eBay. Very cool item!

As for what's next... My secondary focus for a while has been the other books from that era: Parade of Pleasure, Love & Death, the NY Legislature's docs, the US Senate doc, books Wertham cited in the Saturday Review of Literature.

Congratulations Steve, that's a great accomplishment. Isn't the book that was the central focus of Wertham's Senate testimony Black Magic #29? I recall a thread that had a link to an audio recording of the actual Senate proceedings, including Wertham's testimony in which he focused almost exclusively on the story in BM #29.

Great detective work on the linked page! (thumbs u

Thanks! I'll make another offer similar to one I posted a while back. Want a FREE copy of Seduction of the Innocent? All you have to do is be the first one to identify one of the unidentified books on that page. Any one. Let me know what the book is, and once I verify that it's a SOTI book I'll give you a copy of Seduction of the Innocent. It'll be one of the 1954 printings (first or second) and won't be in the best of shape. But it'll be free, and I'll even pay the postage. You just need to be the first one to identify one of those books before the end of 2013.

I've seen some people here with an amazing ability to identify GA books (Scrooge comes to mind), and I'm betting a number of you can assist with this quest. If you feel like playing Golden Age Detective, and would like to identify a book or two, here's your chance. Be the first one this year to identify a book, and SOTI is yours (plus credit for the discovery at the SOTI site). Of course, any additional detective work that helps narrow down the field will also be greatly appreciated.

As for what's next... My secondary focus for a while has been the other books from that era: Parade of Pleasure, Love & Death, the NY Legislature's docs, the US Senate doc, books Wertham cited in the Saturday Review of Literature.

Congratulations Steve, that's a great accomplishment. Isn't the book that was the central focus of Wertham's Senate testimony Black Magic #29? I recall a thread that had a link to an audio recording of the actual Senate proceedings, including Wertham's testimony in which he focused almost exclusively on the story in BM #29.

Thanks, RareHighGrade.

The committee's investigator, Richard Clendenen, discussed Black Magic #29 in his opening remarks. I don't recall Wertham mentioning that book, but it's been a while since I read the Senate transcript so I certainly could have forgotten it.

Here's a link to an article and audio from the Senate hearings into comic books and juvenile delinquency. This includes Clendenen's remarks on Black Magic #29.

Steve,

Nobody deserved the book more than you, so I was very pleased to help you acheive your collecting goal. You are a true comic collector, and your quest for information is more impressive than most folks quests for books!