• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who needs GPA when there's Overstreet?

25 posts in this topic

Conversation with prospective eBay buyer today about an ASM #147 CGC 9.2. It's listed as a fixed price item at $79.95 with the Best Offer option:

eBay prospect:

"hi mike why is this a red label is there any thing wrong with it dont know to much about the red label also what is your best price thx"

Me:

"There's nothing wrong with the book. That's the old CGC label for Modern comics. They're now blue label. Make me an offer if you want to find out what I'll accept."

eBay prospect:

"this is only a 50.00 book thats about all im going to pay for it"

Me:

"GPA shows 2 sales this year of $55 and $72 respectively. So my starting price of $79.95 nor my minimum ($60.00) is way out of line."

eBay prospect:

"I don't go buy the GPa my opinion those r bogus numbers I go buy the 2013 over street guide and a 9.2 is 50.00 I guess I'm not buying it then thx anyway."

:facepalm:

Conversation with prospective eBay buyer today about an ASM #147 CGC 9.2. It's listed as a fixed price item at $79.95 with the Best Offer option:

eBay prospect:

"hi mike why is this a red label is there any thing wrong with it dont know to much about the red label also what is your best price thx"

Me:

"There's nothing wrong with the book. That's the old CGC label for Modern comics. They're now blue label. Make me an offer if you want to find out what I'll accept."

eBay prospect:

Me:

"GPA shows 2 sales this year of $55 and $72 respectively. So my starting price of $79.95 nor my minimum ($60.00) is way out of line."

eBay prospect:

"I don't go buy the GPa my opinion those r bogus numbers I go buy the 2013 over street guide and a 9.2 is 50.00 I guess I'm not buying it then thx anyway."

Not an uncommon buyer. Probably doesn't know much about CGC since he didn't recognize the old CGC red label and probably knows even less about GPA. There are legions of comic collectors that consider Overstreet the bible and would rather buy a raw book than a CGC graded book.

eBay prospect:

Me:

eBay prospect:

Me:

eBay prospect:

Not an uncommon buyer. Probably doesn't know much about CGC since he didn't recognize the old CGC red label and probably knows even less about GPA. There are legions of comic collectors that consider Overstreet the bible and would rather buy a raw book than a CGC graded book.

This is very true. My LCS criticizes cgc and says it makes them like a big card rather then a comic because they're used for reading. They have a few Cgc'd books but he's always talking down on them. He sells them for so much more then they're worth as well. It's crazy! When they get they're group going on wednesday it's all they talk about. I don't shop at that spot very often.

eBay prospect:

Me:

eBay prospect:

Me:

eBay prospect:

You're right about him considering Overstreet as the bible for prices. But he didn't want a raw book. He wanted a CGC graded book at the raw price.

You know, it does work the other way though. I have seen many books where GPA was lower, sometimes much lower, than what the Overstreet value was. I guess I'll have to find those and e-mail this guy back. :D

eBay prospect:

Me:

eBay prospect:

Me:

eBay prospect:

You're right about him considering Overstreet as the bible for prices. But he didn't want a raw book. He wanted a CGC graded book at the raw price.

You know, it does work the other way though. I have seen many books where GPA was lower, sometimes much lower, than what the Overstreet value was. I guess I'll have to find those and e-mail this guy back. :D

Absolutely. I've dealt with guys like this many times at local shows. They often believe that a CGC book is too expensive relative to Overstreet - they just don't see the value of professional grading (until they find out some of their books are restored or they find out that the grading standards they follow are dead and most of their books aren't the grade they thought they were).

And face it, GPA values are always changing and many of the books are sold at auction where there could be shill bidding or two guys really wanted a certain book and ran it up.

Is it so strange for someone to quote Overstreet for pricing? I don't subscribe to GPA, so Overstreet is all I've got. Online sources can run high and low, but a lot of dealers use it at their convenience. Know of anyone consistently selling Captain Marvel Adventures at GPA outside of Comiclink? Not that I can find, most people would rather sit on them at guide, and that's what I end up paying if I want one.

I'll admit I'm a little stunned to see a drastic increase for the first time, and in those cases, I'll decline to buy and go do my homework. This guy is only guilty of not following the trends, and maybe being a little slow.

...they just don't see the value of professional grading (until they find out some of their books are restored or they find out that the grading standards they follow are dead and most of their books aren't the grade they thought they were).

Thankfullly, CGC's grading is slack compared to what I'm used to, so my collection would grade out higher than what I thought when I bought everything! :whee:

My favorite is the sellers who use comicpriceguide.com to price their books. Always top price because 10.0 books are so easy to find. :roflmao: Case in point: http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-art-collectibles-Lot-of-Expensive-Older-Comics-W0QQAdIdZ518488443

His postal code is ether a empty parking lot or a abandoned hotel of a old person home that was flood damaged ?

I am betting on the parking lot !

Part of the problem with buyers like the one the OP mentioned is that they're selectively using Overstreet.

If they had read the introductory material in the Guide, they would've found that even Overstreet acknowledges that the prices are a guide, not cast in stone. And that the higher the grade the more likelihood of dealers charging a percentage over the listed price and why.

If they're going to use it, they gotta use the whole thing.