• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've heard this was a HOT book lately!?! Marvel Team-Up #1

59 posts in this topic

But if Nikos had submitted it he'd get at least a 9.0, the lucky B#*^#*^#$. 27_laughing.gif

I'm prophetic headbang.gif

also a note to diva - I've actually accurately guessed the grade on most of the grading contest books so far(invisible staining and team averaging, aside) so I'm probably in aqreement with the grades given. I understand that Nikos is using the books outside the norm in order to make the contest more interesting.

I just have slab envy yay.gif

8.0 too much wear on the corners

Hate to side with the hatah on this one wink.gif, but Supa's right - three of the four corners are seriously munched (to use the technical term), and the other corner looks like it's got some damage that's 'hidden' in the scan but would be evident in person.

Still a lovely book, but 8.0s as high as it can go with those corners + the single sizable spine crease.

Which leads me to a question: does CGC deduct points for a color-breaking production crease, or is any production crease pretty much excused regardless of whether it breaks color?

Hate to side with the hatah on this one wink.gif, but Supa's right - three of the four corners are seriously munched (to use the technical term), and the other corner looks like it's got some damage that's 'hidden' in the scan but would be evident in person.

Still a lovely book, but 8.0s as high as it can go with those corners + the single sizable spine crease.

Which leads me to a question: does CGC deduct points for a color-breaking production crease, or is any production crease pretty much excused regardless of whether it breaks color?

That spine crease is actually a production scratch, and is on a good number of the MTU #1's.

It won't effect the grade unless it's in the 9.8 area.

gossip.gif

That spine crease is actually a production scratch, and is on a good number of the MTU #1's.

It won't effect the grade unless it's in the 9.8 area.

gossip.gif

And we know it's not a 9.8 27_laughing.gif I think it's a 9.0 easy thumbsup2.gif

You should look at FFB's comments on the book on the SA thread link - he's held it in his hands . . . btw, "munched" you be smokin', dude! insane.gif

9.0 easy.

I really don't think this book merits higher than a 8.5. A solid 8.0 I think is a given but no way it gets a 9.0. The wear on the top left corner alone brings it to 9.0. I'd love to eat my words though....

hi.gif

I like this as a VF/NM with an outside shot at a NM- 893crossfingers-thumb.gif (Here's hoping). This is a really nice book. The wear on the corners is really minor. Plus it is well centered. I think you will be pleased with the results.

Dan

Thanks Dan,

I wanted you on our grading team (but it turns out you' were better off being left off of it! 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif)

hi.gif

I like this as a VF/NM with an outside shot at a NM- 893crossfingers-thumb.gif (Here's hoping). This is a really nice book. The wear on the corners is really minor. Plus it is well centered. I think you will be pleased with the results.

Dan

Thanks Dan,

I wanted you on our grading team (but it turns out you' were better off being left off of it! 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif)

hi.gif

Thanks. I am having a great time doing the contest with FFB's gang, but it would have been fun to be on your team too. Plus you haven't seen how far off I have been... 27_laughing.gif

Dan

Dan

And this is WHY Dan won the grading contest thumbsup2.gif

Made the call; got the grade: Marvel Team-Up #1 Univ. Blue Label 9.2 Off-White to White Pages

acclaim.gifcloud9.gifacclaim.gif

Three comments:

1) Congrats!! I'm happy for ya 893applaud-thumb.gif

2) CGC seems to be softening its stance on BA books a bit...?

3) If a color-breaking production crease is extant on many but not all copies of a given issue, shouldn't it be counted as a defect? After all, there would in that case be copies without the production crease...so two copies in otherwise identical shape would get different grades if one had the production crease and the other didn't...right? confused-smiley-013.gif