• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Walking Dead #1 vs. New Mutants 98

222 posts in this topic

Less then a year another will turn up too many produced not too.

It's very possible, but even a huge volume of submissions doesn't guarantee it. There are over 25k comics from 1991 on the census -- 9 of those comics in 10.0.

In the wake of the 9.9 $12k sale, only a little more than 500 copies of NM 98 have been graded per year.

But again, of course, another 10.0 could show up tomorrow.

I think the longevity of WD#1 does depend on what is done with the franchise. Will Kirkman eventually tire of it and allow it to conclusively end like Dave Sim did? Will he sell it off to Disney and allow it to perpetually continue in one reincarnation or another like Eastman and Laird did?

But speaking of Dave Sim, Cerebus #1 prices don't seem to be falling as the years roll on without new Cerebus stories.

As far as Deadpool is concerned, it's really hard for me to believe any modern Marvel super hero will ever reach the stature of Spiderman or The Hulk for example. Wolverine is the exception to the rule, and his first appearance was still solidly in the Bronze Age. I know Deadpool is a breakout modern character, but so was Cable. "But Deadpool's funny!" No, Deadpool is a bunch of lines on paper. The talent assigned to the Deadpool comic are funny, but remember, they don't own that character, have no loyalty to the title, and could be reassigned at any time, and the title could be rebooted, discontinued, and the character could be reimagined yet again, as so many others have over the years. Deadpool is just another trademark like all the other heroes, and has no personality ot standard of quality in his appearances. I think the reason why people love first appearances of The Hulk and Spiderman is it's really the birth of the Marvel Universe and a new era of superheroes. Deadpool will never be that, not in a good way anyway. He's a reminder of Liefeld and patches and the 90's.

I think the longevity of WD#1 does depend on what is done with the franchise. Will Kirkman eventually tire of it and allow it to conclusively end like Dave Sim did? Will he sell it off to Disney and allow it to perpetually continue in one reincarnation or another like Eastman and Laird did?

But speaking of Dave Sim, Cerebus #1 prices don't seem to be falling as the years roll on without new Cerebus stories.

As far as Deadpool is concerned, it's really hard for me to believe any modern Marvel super hero will ever reach the stature of Spiderman or The Hulk for example. Wolverine is the exception to the rule, and his first appearance was still solidly in the Bronze Age. I know Deadpool is a breakout modern character, but so was Cable. "But Deadpool's funny!" No, Deadpool is a bunch of lines on paper. The talent assigned to the Deadpool comic are funny, but remember, they don't own that character, have no loyalty to the title, and could be reassigned at any time, and the title could be rebooted, discontinued, and the character could be reimagined yet again, as so many others have over the years. Deadpool is just another trademark like all the other heroes, and has no personality ot standard of quality in his appearances. I think the reason why people love first appearances of The Hulk and Spiderman is it's really the birth of the Marvel Universe and a new era of superheroes. Deadpool will never be that, not in a good way anyway. He's a reminder of Liefeld and patches and the 90's.

Deadpool IS the modern age Spider-Man. Long gone are the days of kids wanting to cry themselves to slepp, they want the delusional and witty psychopath. I am sorry, but I have been reading deadpool books for the past 7 years. I read the first 60 issues of Walking Dead and just got bored. Why do I want to read a depressing azzed comic? I read comics for entertainment, not to feel sad for some hopeless mo-fos.

And Kirkman will eventually throw in the towel, and when he does the book will suffer the fate of "Y- The last man". Great story, but came to an end.

Nobody has mentioned the print run yet.

7Kish vs what 500k?

Exactly...WD was a total sleeper from Image with a 7k+ versus The Marvel printing machine pumping out hundreds of thousands of issues.

The fact a NM98 10.0 went that high is it is the lone book at the top of the hill.

A single WD 1 10.0 would go for double or more than what the NM 98 sold for (15k?)

Just my speculation

Well, BOOOOOOOO..

That's a crock of you know what. There could be 200,000 copies of AF 15 and every single one would sell. And BEFORE you knock my comparison, I scaled it to reflect fan bases.

Deadpool IS the modern age Spider-Man. Long gone are the days of kids wanting to cry themselves to slepp, they want the delusional and witty psychopath. I am sorry, but I have been reading deadpool books for the past 7 years. I read the first 60 issues of Walking Dead and just got bored. Why do I want to read a depressing azzed comic? I read comics for entertainment, not to feel sad for some hopeless mo-fos.

And Kirkman will eventually throw in the towel, and when he does the book will suffer the fate of "Y- The last man". Great story, but came to an end.

Y the Last Man was designed as a finite story. Walking Dead is intended to go on indefinitely.

Y the Last Man was designed as a finite story. Walking Dead is intended to go on indefinitely.

Bull :censored: Kirkman said years ago he didn't want to write the story forever. I would bet at some point Rick dies.

Bull :censored: Kirkman said years ago he didn't want to write the story forever. I would bet at some point Rick dies.

Right, the story is indefinite. (shrug)

That is probably true.

Just because Rick dies does NOT mean the story will end. Carl could take over or any other well-established character.

To keep it 'fresh' at some point, Rick will go...And just think of all the variant covers....

Great idea, just think of Onslaught. And didn't Carl get shot in the dome? How is he still alive..

That is probably true.

Just because Rick dies does NOT mean the story will end. Carl could take over or any other well-established character.

To keep it 'fresh' at some point, Rick will go...And just think of all the variant covers....

65 issues too late for that

Deadpool IS the modern age Spider-Man.
All good stories have an end. And the discussion of what comic will become valuable has literally nothing to do with the contents of the comic. A whole lot of keys and hot comics aren't any good for reading.

And no modern age character in the Marvel Universe will ever quite be what the Marvel Universe founding characters were. That also has nothing to do with quality of storytelling, since the creative team regarding any particular character changes frequently, and in some cases involves several writers and illustrators on several titles. What matters is the trademark and people's attachment to that trademark. Spiderman has a brand value that Deadpool will never have. If Deadpool were a modern age Spiderman he'd have three ongoings in the MU, two ongoings in an alternative MU, about six miniseries at any time, and a rogues gallery pretty much exclusive to him. Deadpool might be the modern age Robin, if he were teamed with a Batman.

I don't get that. Why is 100 zombie comics too many, but thousands upon thousands of comics featuring any A list superhero, and people are still begging for more?

I think he met it was 65 issues too late for Rick to still be the lead in TWD?

(shrug)

No in keeping it fresh...what has happened since 48?

All previous predictions of WD #1's demise have proven wrong. As many have said for the last couple of years, "The book has legs."

Regardless of what anyone thinks about the story at this point, and I don't even read it anymore either, plenty of people still do.

Every month it puts out an issue, every fall it has a TV episode, it builds it's brand. It's comparable to nothing in comics, with maybe the exception of TMNT's and that book has held pretty strong, even when there were no movies or cartoons.

The Walking Dead is firmly entrenched in the minds of collectors AND the non-collectors. It is a part of the modern culture.

It is here to stay.

Maybe not at the price it is now. But it'll be valuable for a long time.

I don't get that. Why is 100 zombie comics too many, but thousands upon thousands of comics featuring any A list superhero, and people are still begging for more?

I think he met it was 65 issues too late for Rick to still be the lead in TWD?

(shrug)

No in keeping it fresh...what has happened since 48?

While the first 48 is awesome....I enjoyed the rest of the story arcs also.

And, i'm enjoying the Negan storyline also. It's different than The Governor and I really think the writing is still better than most of the drek out there.