• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC's Villain Month 3D Covers

2,249 posts in this topic

We are all in this to flip and make money. Lets stop BSing each other, those LCS that are selling these at cover are suckers and those that sell above are a holes. Come on that’s what we all think. Anyway my LCS was pimping this way back in July. The freakin counter monkey was up my butt about it and I am glad I listened to him, as they guaranteed all book by the deadline.

Anyway I watch as they struggle to explain to regulars that they missed the window. So I asked the kid behind the counter Whats the deal. He explained they sent e-mails put it in their newsletter and handed everyone one the pre order sheets we only got a 20% return, and now people are asking for a “favor”. But everyone who preordered got theirs at cover price. Which was me and I’m happy. He also stated that it’s a pain to track in the computer. This past week the only book marked up was Harley $15.99 and 2 never made it to the shelf. Oh saw a guy complaining about Harley but I know he flips like me , not gonna get anywhere with these people by complaining. I just gas up and go.

Oh and if you want to read villains month book there are plenty of 2d covers available.

LCS can charge whatever they want. The only messed up part is when they charge "FMV" on the day of release. Limit the book 1 per person and charge FMV after its been on the rack for a few days. Give those who actually read and collect books a chance to get the book instead of sticking to them just because there are a lot of folks in the flipping game.

We are all in this to flip and make money. Lets stop BSing each other, those LCS that are selling these at cover are suckers

and what about us LCS that sell at below cover to not only our sub customers (100% of my customers got their previews preorders filled at upto 35% discount, bagged and boarded) but all my "reg" customers (the ones that don't sub,but come in every wed anyway), all got at cover less 10% standard discount...

am I a sucker? or am I thinking longer term, and taking care of the reg customers that take care of me the other 48 weeks when there isn't a shortage of comics, or huge demand?

does that couple of extra dollars I could mark up, really make that much of a difference? will it change my life, or just off customers and drive them to my competitors?...

Umm they are all selling above cover and some 3-5 times over cover, I'd say that is pretty great considering they are one shots and just came out. 2c

Most of the books are going for 9 or 10 dollars including shipping costs of three or four dollars. Unless you are moving a massive number of copies the return is very small.

People post a high single auction sale in this thread for a book and treat it like the new benchmark for that issue. And as always, people are automatically assuming that a 15 or 20 dollar book this week will be a 25 or 30 dollar book next week.

Umm they are all selling above cover and some 3-5 times over cover, I'd say that is pretty great considering they are one shots and just came out. 2c

Most of the books are going for 9 or 10 dollars including shipping costs of three or four dollars. Unless you are moving a massive number of copies the return is very small.

People post a high single auction sale in this thread for a book and treat it like the new benchmark for that issue. And as always, people are automatically assuming that a 15 or 20 dollar book this week will be a 25 or 30 dollar book next week.

I think you might have missed the boat on these. I'll give you an example I bought 2 ventrolquist 3d's for cover so 8 bucks and sold each both a week later for 19.99 each or 39.89 total yeah not much return. Maybe the joker's yeah only around a 2 dollar profit but to say there is no return to be made on these is silly. 2c

We are all in this to flip and make money. Lets stop BSing each other, those LCS that are selling these at cover are suckers

and what about us LCS that sell at below cover to not only our sub customers (100% of my customers got their previews preorders filled at upto 35% discount, bagged and boarded) but all my "reg" customers (the ones that don't sub,but come in every wed anyway), all got at cover less 10% standard discount...

am I a sucker? or am I thinking longer term, and taking care of the reg customers that take care of me the other 48 weeks when there isn't a shortage of comics, or huge demand?

does that couple of extra dollars I could mark up, really make that much of a difference? will it change my life, or just off customers and drive them to my competitors?...

+1. A store owner has to look after his long term business first and foremost. Missing out on a few bucks now vs. adding new file customers is a low cost of acquisition. Besides, how are the buyers going to feel when LCS XXX charges $20 for a respective 3D cover now and then has them in the bins at $5 - $10 a year from now?

You're a sucker Rick. lol

No seriously, you're not a sucker. You understand that to be successful in any business you have to look at the longterm effects of your actions.

Comic books stores and sellers on these boards who are in for the quick buck come and go... The ones that stick around and are successful are the ones who look out for their customers and value their repeat business.

All this "Modern" section is these days are the same people speculating and driving up the prices on each other and then wondering why they've been left holding the bag when the bottom falls out.

It's fun to watch though.

(thumbs u

I think you might have missed the boat on these. I'll give you an example I bought 2 ventrolquist 3d's for cover so 8 bucks and sold each both a week later for 19.99 each or 39.89 total yeah not much return. Maybe the joker's yeah only around a 2 dollar profit but to say there is no return to be made on these is silly. 2c

I said on MOST of these books.

MOST.

Are you getting 20 dollars a book consistently from any other book outside of Ventriloquist, Harley Quinn, Mr Freeze or Lobo, eventually Clayface, Joker's Daugher and maybe one or two of the other titles that has yet to be released? I doubt it.

Obviously The Dark Knight books are an exception. I said from the beginning that The Dark Knight books would be hot from the beginning because of their lower prints runs compared to the other bat books.

Its not sour grapes. I was responding to the other user who said these covers may cause retailers to rethink how they handle the release of new books. My point was that it was DC's screw up that made this an issue, If there was an adequate supply for these books they would not be getting anywhere near the amount of attention they have been.

i'm collecting the 3D for the chase...once it's completed I may just sell the entire set, hopefully get my investment back, and move on to the next hot comic.

I'll probably keep a couple each of the mega hot covers as a gamble down the road.

You're a sucker Rick. lol

No seriously, you're not a sucker. You understand that to be successful in any business you have to look at the longterm effects of your actions.

Comic books stores and sellers on these boards who are in for the quick buck come and go... The ones that stick around and are successful are the ones who look out for their customers and value their repeat business.

All this "Modern" section is these days are the same people speculating and driving up the prices on each other and then wondering why they've been left holding the bag when the bottom falls out.

It's fun to watch though.

(thumbs u

Well said Dre.........and it is fun to watch...........and G.A.Tor you have it right my friend...........people who realize that this is not a get rich scheme and learn to take care of the people they deal with will prosper in the long run.....I buy a ton of moderns to flip but you would never catch me hanging on to hot books that long, I simply sell them when they are sizzling and if I want, buy them back months later for deep discounts. Look around, it happens every day. It will probably happen with these too.....

My regular LCS owner is like you - discounts for all customers. I tour a few LCS's on Wednesdays, but my primary weekly haul, special orders, and 'grail' searches come from my main LCS because he treats me well.

You guys rock (worship)

My regular LCS owner is like you - discounts for all customers. I tour a few LCS's on Wednesdays, but my primary weekly haul, special orders, and 'grail' searches come from my main LCS because he treats me well.

You guys rock (worship)

Exactly.... See Everyone wins.

You get it. You are the primary marketing guy with the ability to play in the secondary market whereas your customers are either collectors, secondary sellers, or both like me.

I truly hope you do well. You are always friendly and helpful on the boards and if you had a shop around here, I would make it a point vist. Keep doing your thing. Your customers are lucky (thumbs u.

I said on MOST of these books.

MOST.

Are you getting 20 dollars a book consistently from any other book outside of Ventriloquist, Harley Quinn, Mr Freeze or Lobo, eventually Clayface, Joker's Daugher and maybe one or two of the other titles that has yet to be released? I doubt it.

Obviously The Dark Knight books are an exception. I said from the beginning that The Dark Knight books would be hot from the beginning because of their lower prints runs compared to the other bat books.

Its not sour grapes. I was responding to the other user who said these covers may cause retailers to rethink how they handle the release of new books. My point was that it was DC's screw up that made this an issue, If there was an adequate supply for these books they would not be getting anywhere near the amount of attention they have been.

FYI, here are some results we had from the Calgary Red & White show on the weekend. I also sold a Joker 3D cover for $20 that I picked up at a LCS 5 minutes from the show. They still had them on the rack at cover (limit one per person).

We had a one day show in Calgary (Alberta, Canada) today and here are some 3D cover sales from our tables:

Harley Quinn - first copy $25 then rest $30 apiece

Killer Frost - $20

Mr. Freeze - first copy $20 then rest $25

Lobo - $25

Riddler - $10

Darkseid - $10

Reverse Flash - $20

Joker - $20

And a handful of others that I will have to dig through the box to verify what sold. There was high demand for them, especially the Harley Quinn issue. Another Dimension in Calgary had a bunch of variants still available, some still at cover (including the Joker issue). If you are a boardie from Calgary you should head there before they are gone..... :baiting:

At the Calgary show I sold:

Harley Quinn x2 at $25, 1 copy at $30.00

Mr Freeze x1 at $20

Poison Ivy x1 at $15

Riddler x1 at $12

Reverse Flash x1 at $15

Joker x2 at $15

(worship)

Wished I was in Gainesville

I've been wondering if you couple the fact that new 52 is picking a new Joker's daughter to add to the mix fighting catwoman etc for the time being and Harley Quinn getting a new series in Nov would this be possible the daughter will team up with Harley's title? hm

I wish you was by me, I'd be a loyal customer.

(worship)

Wished I was in Gainesville

sometimes I wish I was in gainesville too (oldest 2 kids are).... we are in Panama City and Lynn Haven (and maybe Panama City Beach next year!)