• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for grades on my X-Men # 1

19 posts in this topic

Very nice thumbsup2.gif

even the enlarged scan is small, so it's hard to tell what else is there with that white cover. and without seeing the back cover, one can't make an informed guess.

having said that, the soft LLC and the two small creases are all i can see wrong with it. i'd guess maybe a 9.0 if all else is VERY nice............... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

and i agree, this should be slabbed before selling for the reason already stated...

Hard to see all the spine stresses because of the small scan and white cover but they are there and the bottom LHC there is some noticable wear on the spine and corners. Bottom RHC is bunted so I can't see this getting a grade of 8.0 or higher but it sure does look nice. Is this an off the rack purchase?

As I recall the only real flaw on the book is the bottom right corner.

Please indulge us with larger scans of both the front and back covers (if you can) wink.gif

gossip.gifLooks like a Heritage scan - turn off the lights! gossip.gif

I had drafted a response but my computer crashed b4 I posted it.

Next time I go to my SD box I will bring the book back and rescan it bigger both front and back. I have my top 100 or so books there for extra safety and this is one of my top few books. smile.gif

In the mean time I am looking for suggestions on software for editing scans. These were done 4-5 years ago on an old UMAX scanner and edited using Paint Shop Pro. As A part of the editing I tried to straighten the book and crop off the extra background. I also had a standard minor adjustment to the brightness to compensate for the color that that scanner came up with. I also resized it down from like 1 meg to 100 k so I could upload and post.

I had never liked the editing software that came with either windows or my HP scanner, which is why I was using the PSP.

What size is common these days for scans? How many DPI? I know that I can't attach anything bigger than 150k here. I had asked for suggestions of a site to host my images in a different thread, but got no response. I was using auction watch until they started charging.

In any event the book looked beautiful when I got it from a local dealer here in LA. I would certainly be very disappointed frustrated.gif

As I recall the price was a combination of cash and trade totalling 4k at a VF/NM guide for the book and using 50% of guide for the trade part on my side.

609122-xmen7.jpg.5addeccae0ad08e939f8578a6da11be3.jpg

http://www.comiccovers.net/scan.html

try this link for some basic advice about scanning. the guy that did this page is a mod over at cpg, and has helped me out a lot. Heck, he stayed on Yahoo Pm with me for over an hour helping me out.

If you want to try out a new photoshop program, thry photoshop.com.

They have free trial versions of their programs. Better have something other than dial-up. These are full size programs.

Good luck, and lets see a bigger scan of that X-Men 1, cause its a great looking book! 893applaud-thumb.gif

here is the back cover of the xmen1 it took me several tries to get it below 150 so I could upload it. even though I scanned at 300 dpi i ended up haveing to reduce it 120 along with compression and resizing to bring it down to fit.

I pulled many of my top marvels and did quick scans if anybody would like me to send them so they can show them here I would be happy to do so. Most of the scans were about 1 meg raw.

I have a crappy but Stan Lee signed AF15

an OK spidey 1 except that the cover is taped on with about half dozen pieces. And a very nice Spidey 14

Fantastiv Four is maybe VG with some kind of damage to the back cover

AS well as the Front cover of the Xmen 1. It also appears to me as though there is a tiny amount of fraying on the back cover.

611035-XMEN1bc3(120dpi).jpg.88c8b96f9f8c681d1ec83b431ec117e4.jpg

Also, trim your files (not your books). You are wasting precious bytes.

Just show a half an inch around the sides of the books. Also, for a book like this, try a dark backround (so that the white edges don't just blend into the white backround).

Just trying to help.

I redid this one to see how it looks. I usually crop, but with the Microsoft photo editor I could not find how to crop with a click and draag box. it was very hard to keep cropping to estimate how much to cut off bottom and side. There MUST be a way to do it easier than that.

611247-XMEN1FC.jpg.e29405390d4c5163fa1d31b75ecbd833.jpg

the old double post under 150k scan method. still looking for suggestions on where to host bigger scans and how big is really needed.

btw this one was scaned @300 dpi then reduced to 200 during the edit

611247-XMEN1FC.jpg