• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC or CGG

CGG or CGC  

624 members have voted

1. 1. CGG or CGC

139 posts in this topic

Sure. What about the trimmed Batman cgc missed? I would think the submitter of that book could have easily slipped others passed CGC. What about the # of restored books Marnin sent to CGC that came back blue lable? Each company has missed resto.

I bought a PGX graded Witching Hour #1 in 9.2. I was skeptical in thne beginning and new I should be, but I thought I could send it to CGC and at least get a 9.2+ on it. (I only collect CGC graded comics). I received the comic and all was good, great I thought-so I submitted it to CGC-it came back a RESTORED CGC 9.2. Worthless in my book-never again will I trust PGX...

sorry guys-but if you expect my high end money to go towards their product-I will leave the hobby/business before that happens....

The only thing that slabbing a comic book changes is your inability to read it- unless you open the slab

whats your point??

You asked a question and I answered it. Get it? Pretty simple.

Remember if slabbing a comic is so bad, why isn't slabbing a coin just as bad?

I have yet to see someone try to spend a slabbed coin! You still have to remove it from the slab to spend it...

I am truly sick of this whole slab vs. read comic debate

Worm, I have to ask why you replied this post to me? confused-smiley-013.gif

If I remember correctly, nowhere on this thread have I said slabbing comics was "bad." I see a genuine use in this hobby for slabbing certain books. No problem.

If you are "truly sick" of the slab vs. reader debate why did you drudge it up again? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Nobody has mentioned it on the thread for over a month now. gossip.gif

I bought a PGX graded Witching Hour #1 in 9.2. I was skeptical in thne beginning and new I should be, but I thought I could send it to CGC and at least get a 9.2+ on it. (I only collect CGC graded comics). I received the comic and all was good, great I thought-so I submitted it to CGC-it came back a RESTORED CGC 9.2. Worthless in my book-never again will I trust PGX...

sorry guys-but if you expect my high end money to go towards their product-I will leave the hobby/business before that happens....

Plently of accusations, not a single shred of proof! yeahok.gif

Did you scan the book before sending it to CGC? Do you still have the label? Do you have any proof to back up a single thing you have said?

Why do I feel the desire to grab a can of 'Bug' spray. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is there really an argument here as to whether or not CGG/PGA/PGX has been shown to consitently miss restoration on big books? Greggy's Avengers #4, the Silver Surfer mentioned above, there also a Batman 238 and also DC 100 Pager #4 that bassgman bought?

That Terence Leder character has been involved in most of the disreputable transactions with his company, so who knows what the real relationship is between those "certifying" the books, and those selling restored books under the PGX label of "unrestored"? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Amazing-no offense-but these forums are becoming a lynch mob!

All I did was tell you about my bad experience-if you think I'm lying then don't believe me-I did not think I had to scan the book before sending it to CGC, because I at the very least, thought the PGX could catch resto!

Now I know better....

Who here is saying you're lying? I have no reason to believe you're lying, but I do think you're a border line insufficiently_thoughtful_person for thinking that people here are attacking you when in fact most are in agreement.

Anyone as defensive as you are may in fact be lying. Pull your head out and stop seeing things that aren't there. makepoint.gif

Welcome to the CGC boards, where 90% of us know for a fact that CGC is the only legitimate 3rd party grader. Now calm the [#@$%!!!] down.

A little sign-offtopic.gif

Recently all I have been hearing lately is SCS with CGC books. Even during the contest I get, "is that due to SCS", or "is this do do SCS", and just how better CGG slabs are. Well I personally have not seen alot in my submissions to CGC that have come back with SCS.

Well first I get my SS #16 that comes back a PLOD and now to make matters worse I get this

scs.jpg

Top left corner foreheadslap.gif

I am not pro CGC or anti CGG but

1 More times than not they Undergrade - Strike 1

2 Miss restoration (SS 16) - Strike 2

3 SCS with their new designed well sorry.gif

CGC is not perfect, but at least for me they have not struck out yet.

Plently of accusations, not a single shred of proof! yeahok.gif

Did you scan the book before sending it to CGC? Do you still have the label? Do you have any proof to back up a single thing you have said?

Why do I feel the desire to grab a can of 'Bug' spray. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hi "theguy" or shall I say Hi Daniel. I always like these PGA/CGC debates. Always entertaining. Throwing some facts around mixed in with plenty of speculation. I will give PGX plenty of credit though for putting in a great effort in a very hard to impress collecting community. Seems to me, with all the talk going on, as if really the one and only thing PGX needs to do to gain some real respect and legitimacy is to hire a REAL resto detection expert. Someone with name recognition. May be expensive to hire someone like that and have them move out to Oregon (let alone finding someone like that willing to work for PGX), but it may be the only way. With THAT, PGX may have a shot at giving CGC some real competition down the line, but without it, PGX will remain a little guy only gaining a very small market share. Sure, they may pick up some more customers down the line, but as is they are not going to take much of the market share away from CGC. Because outside of the resto issues, they do have alot of other positives going for them. That one main flaw is a biggie though.

Oh, and Daniel, I understand your desire to have a voice here, but using "theguy" with only three posts all adamantly defending PGX is a little obvious. Good luck anyway.

Sid -

I offer you advance apoligies; as I am someone who has some (BUT mainly little to no) VESTED interest in the slabbing of comics. I simply don't agree with your prior post, though I respect you as a poster & collector. At this point in time PGX (or whatever they are going to call themselves this month) have to do more than just just hire a resto expert.

Not only do they miss resto 9 out of 10 times (just a hypothetical figure, you nitpickers!), but they have "questionable" connections to certain sellers. AND they are not accurate on their grading of post 1980 books (too strict- not even comparable to CGC or the layman ). Let's not forget that they obviously SHILL here on these boards all the damn time trying to pathetically defend themselves. There are just too damn many question marks about them for even a reader like me to trust my money with a company like them should I decide to spend my $$$ on slabbing. gossip.gif