• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC or CGG

CGG or CGC  

624 members have voted

1. 1. CGG or CGC

139 posts in this topic

CGC has a better track record-here is a question to all you collectors who are against pressing.

Is PGX going to disclose pressing?

also-can't raw books be pressed! How can we tell we are not all buying raw pressed books from respectable dealers??

Friesen has been secretly running a pressing service for dealers for a long time now, where CGC (apparently) calls certain BSDs and says "Hey, your book is an 8.5, but if we press it, you could get a higher grade. Do you want it pressed?"

Really? Even I wasn't ready to jump to that conclusion... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

I am not jumping to a conclusion, Jim. Just saying what I've been told by two independent sources I trust. One of them, Nick, I can name. The other I can't.

It should be noted that Nick was also passing along 2nd-hand information...this was all discussed in December in the "An answer from CGC" thread that I bumped this morning. Very mysterious, those with voices but no faces... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

CGC has a better track record-here is a question to all you collectors who are against pressing.

Is PGX going to disclose pressing?

also-can't raw books be pressed! How can we tell we are not all buying raw pressed books from respectable dealers??

PGX has the same stance on pressing as CGC does.

And of course "raw books can be pressed." Do you think they're pressing them in the slabs? screwy.gif

Friesen has been secretly running a pressing service for dealers for a long time now, where CGC (apparently) calls certain BSDs and says "Hey, your book is an 8.5, but if we press it, you could get a higher grade. Do you want it pressed?"

Really? Even I wasn't ready to jump to that conclusion... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

I am not jumping to a conclusion, Jim. Just saying what I've been told by two independent sources I trust. One of them, Nick, I can name. The other I can't.

It should be noted that Nick was also passing along 2nd-hand information...this was all discussed in December in the "An answer from CGC" thread that I bumped this morning. Very mysterious, those with voices but no faces... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Do you discredit everything you read in the newspaper when the reporter doesn't reveal all of his sources? poke2.gif

In all fairness an internet chat room 2nd source is a far cry from a newspaper reporter. poke2.gif

I saw a trailer for a movie recently that reminds me of some of your attitudes. I don't remember the title of the movie, but the story was about this woman who was hired to work as a caregiver for an old man in a rural house. Turns out the man's wife is some kind of demon voo doo lady who summons all manner of voo doo evils to come hurt the man and the caregiver. There is a great scene at the end of the trailer where there is all sorts of scary [#@$%!!!] happening around the caregiver and she's trying to dispel these things by screaming "I DISBELIEVE! I DISBELIEVE!!" at the top of her lungs.

poke2.gifyay.gif

flowerred.gif

Jim

Do you discredit everything you read in the newspaper when the reporter doesn't reveal all of his sources? poke2.gif

No.

If you read the other thread you'll see that Nick was just passing along 2nd-hand information (just like you are) so using Nick as one of "...two independent sources..." is not an accurate representation of the situation when it's entirely possible that you're both getting your info from the same person. Without 1st-hand information, it doesn't matter anyway...

Sorry, Keith. I was venting a bit. My post wasn't just directed at you. I just used your post as the nearest example of PGX bashing by people who point to things "wrong" with PGX when there are similar things "wrong" with CGC.

Hey, no harm, no foul! flowerred.gif

I doubt I would buy either.

First off I don't know enough about either company

Second, I don't see a future in comic grading, until each page is can be viewed in the encap.; otherwise the comic is worthless, why buy what you can't read?

Now coins I understand kinda.

you see both sides and it's a precious metal.

Now, having a comic graded to make $ is a different story, as PT put it, there's one born everyday.

You may not agree, I may get nasty PM's and posts.

I know you've got a graded comic you haven't read and your dying to open it KNOW?

O.K., I finally broke down and sent some mid grade GA books to PGX about 5 weeks ago. Most of the books either had overhangs or were less than $150 each. A week later they sent me an e-mail saying that their 14 business day schedule has been increased to 17 days due to a larger number of submissions (that's fine). They also stated that my books should ship on July 6. Since I was expecting to receive the books by last Saturday, I decided to give them a call to see what the hold up was. Well, after 3 e-mails, 20 calls to their office at different times during the work day, and after leaving 2 phone messages with my contact number, I still haven't gotten a response. Are these guys even working these days? At least with CGC, someone always picks up the phone and gladly answers your questions. These guys should at least let me know whether the books were shipped or not. This is rediculous. foreheadslap.gif

O.K., I finally broke down and sent some mid grade GA books to PGX about 5 weeks ago. Most of the books either had overhangs or were less than $150 each. A week later they sent me an e-mail saying that their 14 business day schedule has been increased to 17 days due to a larger number of submissions (that's fine). They also stated that my books should ship on July 6. Since I was expecting to receive the books by last Saturday, I decided to give them a call to see what the hold up was. Well, after 3 e-mails, 20 calls to their office at different times during the work day, and after leaving 2 phone messages with my contact number, I still haven't gotten a response. Are these guys even working these days? At least with CGC, someone always picks up the phone and gladly answers your questions. These guys should at least let me know whether the books were shipped or not. This is rediculous. foreheadslap.gif

They are in San Diego for the convention.

They are in San Diego for the convention.

Thanks FFB. So that means I have to wait an additional week for my books to ship. Pretty soon their 14 day turn around will turn into 2 months.

I tried calling them too. You would of thought that they would of had the forsight to change their message. So, to me it means they probably don't think about customer service, and that there aren't enough people to stay. Still after so much improvement, it still seems like a basement operation.

Well I called again this morning, and the recording said the mailbox is full, and I needed to hang up. foreheadslap.gif

Couldn't they at least check their mailbox while they were in San Diego and respond to a couple of inquiries?

Well I called again this morning, and the recording said the mailbox is full, and I needed to hang up. foreheadslap.gif

Couldn't they at least check their mailbox while they were in San Diego and respond to a couple of inquiries?

I agree, it does sound like poor customer service. However, when I was making submissions last year they were always very helpful through e-mail and replied fairly quickly. Sounds to me like they should have sent out e-mails to people expecting their books stating that they would be late due to PGX's presence in San Diego. And why not have phone calls to the office redirected to their cell phones? My brother owns a two-man operation in Vancouver, Canada, a recording studio. Whenever he is down visiting me he takes several calls on his cell phone from clients that had called the studio number. If PGX cannot afford to have a customer service rep on call (even a wife or girlfriend at the very least to give shipping updates?) then they will certainly lose some business.

I tried calling them too. You would of thought that they would of had the forsight to change their message. So, to me it means they probably don't think about customer service, and that there aren't enough people to stay. Still after so much improvement, it still seems like a basement operation.

Perception is reality.

O.K., so I just received my first submission back from PGX. Overall, their grading of mid grade GA books seemed fairly similar to CGC's. A couple of books came back lower than I expected, but that happens to me all the time with CGC. The highest grade I received was a 7.0, even though I was expecting a couple of 7.5's. However, the major difference (as noted by other posters before) is the page quality. I was shocked to see only one book come back as C-OW, another 12 were OW, 2 OW-W, and about 8 had White Pages. 893whatthe.gif

There's no doubt in my mind that if I had submitted these books to CGC, half of them would've come back with C-OW pages, and none with White pages. So what gives. confused-smiley-013.gif