• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC or CGG

CGG or CGC  

624 members have voted

1. 1. CGG or CGC

139 posts in this topic

Sorry to bring up the old stuff, but I have seen things recently that bring me to thinking. If you saw a HG key issue graded by CGG(aka PGA) and another one graded by CGC, which would you buy (at the same price)?

I have two copies of a book purchased recently, one by CGG and one by CGC, I will show them later on, and see if the voting changes at all. But at the moment, your buying a book that is completely sight unseen, and hoping on a good deal because it is graded, and cheaper than Ebay. I know most would buy a book without seeing it, but hey, hpothetically speaking, answer this:

yay.gif

Hey RS....did you hear....I bought my first CGG book off E-Bay. Conan 21 9.0. CGC immediately sent me coin grading coupons in my renewal packet by mistake. Or was it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

See what you get when you mess with CGC(The turnaround time are so behide). Next you will get sports card grading coupons and then coupons to Win Dixie foreheadslap.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I can only say that with books I've seen from 1980 - newer, PGA/CGG is over-the-top harsh on their grades. Much more so than the CGC books I have seen from the same period. (we're talking PGA upper 8's that would have been CGC'd 9.2 no prob, possibly 9.4!!!) So, my line of thinking is that if one were trying to "flip" more modern titles, buy the PGA/CGG then resub to CGC for a higher grade. confused-smiley-013.gif

The downside is that, based from what I have seen again, PGA is not very consistent, and I saw one book they graded that had an obvious flaw that was completely not seen by them. So, going "sight unseen" with that company you could really be rolling the dice!

Gee, an aggressive retaliatory anti-CGC rant from Noshill to someone expressing an opinion about CGG/PGA. What a shocker!

Do you just sit by your computer waiting for people to say something negative about CGG/PGA so you can deflect it with one of your brilliantly insightful anti-CGC zingers? Don't you have any work to do back there in Eugene?

From what I've been seeing, it looks like CGC opened the flood gates over the last few months with their lax grading esp. moderns. Talk about rolling the dice 893scratchchin-thumb.gif ....SLAB DAMAGE. makepoint.gif What is that card grading co. that only grades their cards 9s & 10s?? foreheadslap.gif27_laughing.gif
thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

From what I've been seeing, it looks like CGC opened the flood gates over the last few months with their lax grading esp. moderns. Talk about rolling the dice 893scratchchin-thumb.gif ....SLAB DAMAGE. makepoint.gif What is that card grading co. that only grades their cards 9s & 10s?? foreheadslap.gif27_laughing.gif

Let me put it this way: I would NEVER spend MY own hard earned money on subbing modern books to PGA.

1. They don't know how to grade on an even keel! TOO TOUGH on anything 1980 and newer to the point of absurdness!

2. Grades not consistent. I saw a Web of Spidey 1 with over 1" LRC crease graded at VF- 7.5, meanwhile from THE SAME BATCH an ASM 317 which had only an off center lower staple (bindery flaw!) as it's ONLY flaw at F/VF 7.0 !!! Something rotten in Denmark , or should that be Oregon??? ..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So, sight unseen, I think there is a greater chance that the PGA/ CGG book would be considered "rollling the dice." On the other hand, if one gets a chance to see the book up close & it turns out to be one of those "undergraded" PGA moderns: 1. buy the sucker 2. re-sub to CGC for higher, more reputable grade.

poke2.gif

Or was it every book on the heritage web site..... 27_laughing.gifstooges.gif DUMB @$$.

You are judging by books you "saw" on a website vs. books I have held up close in person, and YOU are calling ME a dumb [#@$%!!!]? flamed.gif

Looks like you can't stand it that someone has a different opinion than you without resorting to childish, non-intelligent name calling. All over what? Because I think CGC grades moderns more honestly or appropriately than PGA? BTW - last time I checked Action # 1 wasn't a MODERN. Again - who is the dumb [#@$%!!!]? flamed.gif

You come off sounding like the type of person who would get all worked up over a Spidey vs. Batman "who is better" arguement. Let me know when you get done with this puberty thing, and maybe we can have an intelligent debate. Until then, take your ball and go home since things aren't going the way you want them to; the way your type always does...... makepoint.gif

I don't know what sarcasm means... flamed.gifforeheadslap.gif27_laughing.gif

"You come off sounding like the type of person who would get all worked up over a Spidey vs. Batman "who is better" arguement. Let me know when you get done with this puberty thing, and maybe we can have an intelligent debate. "

...SAID the comic geek who quotes lame movie lines about comics.... next time get the ID code from the "under-graded " book & call PGA . They will point out the flaws your amazing powers of perception can't see.

I sell comics. I don't read them.Little boy. hi.gif