• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auctions Scam Linguini

145 posts in this topic

lol I think all of the Heritage horses are dead.

If you think that a company that has sold over $800,000,000 worth of collectibles at more than a 20% take to their own coffers gives a rat's arse about a single comic book, you are nuttier than than squirrel poop. We are talking about guys who take home tens of millions a year in profit supposedly doing something illegal on a $223.35 comic?

It's just narcissism. You aren't that important.

(thumbs u

That could have been activity "!" at Heritage sent the "you won" message

before activity "2" recognized that there was a previous bid of the same

amount.

If that is the situation, there is a problem in the Heritage database software

which needs to be addressed by the Heritage programmers.

Currently, they do not know of the problem and in your conversations with

Heritage, there is no way your concerns can reach the programmers.

FWIW, there are also a lot of programming problems with e-bay and

many other internet programs. I suspect that e-bay hires programmers

fresh out of school, gives them a week or so of training and then lets them

loose on the code. When fall comes, many of their programmers find

that work + school is too difficult so they quit work to concentrate on their

education. What can I say, some kids find first grade to be difficult.

That could have been activity "!" at Heritage sent the "you won" message

before activity "2" recognized that there was a previous bid of the same

amount.

If that is the situation, there is a problem in the Heritage database software

which needs to be addressed by the Heritage programmers.

Currently, they do not know of the problem and in your conversations with

Heritage, there is no way your concerns can reach the programmers.

FWIW, there are also a lot of programming problems with e-bay and

many other internet programs. I suspect that e-bay hires programmers

fresh out of school, gives them a week or so of training and then lets them

loose on the code. When fall comes, many of their programmers find

that work + school is too difficult so they quit work to concentrate on their

education. What can I say, some kids find first grade to be difficult.

Sweet fish-slap to newbie programmers! :) (I am not one, so take no personal offense.)

On a related note I see that there are another 3 pages of Tadano Corp books that are being auctioned off including a few that I was in a bidding war with but lost because the final prices where beyond ridiculous. I wonder how many books I won last year that were actually bid up because of that guy who made all those bids with Tadano's money?

Jimmy, I understand where you're coming from, because no-one likes to be taken advantage of, even when the dollar amount is small. However, it's most likely a scenario similar to what others described. I.e., you and another bidder entered the same amount as proxy bids, but his bid was entered a little sooner.

If your computer told you that you won, it's probably because the Heritage computers were still "thinking," or tabulating proxy bids, as the auction was ending. (If you didn't win, that should have been made clear to you with a few seconds after the end of the auction.)

The lack of transparency in these auctions is disturbing. I personally think the anonymity needs to be done away with. I remember that back in 2001, I won three books in one of the Greg Manning auctions. Normally I would be happy about winning all three books that I bid on. (I might have lost out on a 4th book.) If I had won one of the books at 95% of my proxy, another at 85%, and the third 90%, I wouldn't have thought much of it. However, I won all three books for almost EXACTLY 90% of my proxy bids--within a percent either way, I think--and my proxy bids were well-padded to begin with. The way the bids ended up made me wonder whether I had been shilled. I briefly considered asking the New Jersey (at least I think it was New Jersey) Attorney General's Office to look into the auction.

In the end, despite my suspicions, I paid for all three books but decided not to bid in any more Greg Manning auctions. It could have been a coincidence, but it destroyed my faith in that auction house. As it turned out, they got out of the comic book business soon after that, anyway.

I recommend that you choose your battles and let this one go. Are you sure that deep down you don't just have buyer's remorse about the other items you won, to the point that you've found an ax to grind as a way to justify getting out of those purchases?