• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking at a Silver Age Collection tomorrow

34 posts in this topic

1950's to 1970's stuff, supposed to be pretty large, going with the intent of buying the lot. This is the first time I am doing something like this, so are there any tips from the seasoned vets on the boards? What to bring? What to offer per book? Thanks for any assistance.

Definitely take your time on any key books and take them out of the bags to check for resto and centerfolds. Don't let the seller rush you, that's a red flag. Check at least a selection of others too. I just bought a run with some random books color touched. I caught it on the bigger book while at the guys house, and later found a more subtle one on a lesser book after I got them home. Could have been worse, but I would have overpaid if I hadn't seen it on the bigger book pre-negotiation.

1950's to 1970's stuff, supposed to be pretty large, going with the intent of buying the lot. This is the first time I am doing something like this, so are there any tips from the seasoned vets on the boards? What to bring? What to offer per book? Thanks for any assistance.

...... make sure someone knows where you're going to be and don't bring a lot of cash...... unless you know the person. Bring a friend if possible and a loaded pistol (concealed) if possible....... and listen to your instincts. Sometimes these scenarios are set ups for robbery. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Get some anecdotes, references, and details from the seller about the collection to make sure the books aren't stolen. If they are seized from you at a later date, you will not automatically be reimbursed.

if possible and a loaded pistol (concealed) if possible....... and listen to your instincts. .

:facepalm:

Sorry but I just don't get this. While that may work for you, I'm not sure it's good advice for everyone nor what the op was looking for. I understand your intentions and I believe your intent was looking out for the op.

if possible and a loaded pistol (concealed) if possible....... and listen to your instincts. .

Sorry but I just don't get this. While that may work for you, I'm not sure it's good advice for everyone nor what the op was looking for. I understand your intentions and I believe your intent was looking out for the op.

..... absolutely. GOD BLESS....

P.S. 99% of the time these things are on the up and up (for the most part)

I'm definitely not taking a ton of cash to this. I'm trying to get a friend to go with, and I've let my significant other know the address I'll be at. Still, it's tough not to have visions of AF 15's and AV 4's sitting in a box, waiting to be found.

I'm definitely not taking a ton of cash to this. I'm trying to get a friend to go with, and I've let my significant other know the address I'll be at. Still, it's tough not to have visions of AF 15's and AV 4's sitting in a box, waiting to be found.

...... sometimes we have to take a gamble.... and it pays off. I'll keep my fingers crossed.... GOD BLESS...

P.S. Making a call from your cell phone while with the seller puts a lock on where you are.

Don't feel this is an opportunity you can't walk away from. There have been plenty of collections that I offered on just because i was in front of books, and thought i wanted a collection to sell. Don't be afraid to offer on books, worst that can happen is he says no. If the collection is larger than you can afford, offer to buy sections/boxes/titles at a time, and make routine visits to make more buys( this is working for me right now). Hopefully they are all nice, and we have another batch of books to see! Good luck.

Be honest about what the seller has. Dont try and get a great collection on the cheap because your conscience will eat at you. if you plan on selling it, let the seller know that you have to make money too. remind them you have to buy new bags and boards for the entire collection, if they are old, and you will have to take the time to sell them. try to calculate in your head the amount of minor keys they have, not af15's but something like asm 129's or whatever and round them down. ie. asm 129 $100, asm 121 $80, early jim's $5 each etc. good luck, just bought a 22 long box collection today. all weekend sorting :(

If going the gun route, I'd also wear a mask a rent a car. Your call, but that may be one way to get some cheap comics.

Kidding aside, I've made this type of visit to stranger's homes many times and it never occurred to me to be paranoid about my safety. Without exception, owners of collections I've visited with the intent to purchase have been decent people (though that is usually not the case with collections, most of which are junk, though I've bought some nice ones). Temper expectations and prepare to negotiate over several days if necessary. Good luck.

eta: Be honest about value, about what you're willing to pay and why. I also find it helpful to explain grading and all of the labor involved in moving such a collection. I've been very peasantly surprised in the past when assuming I would not be able to afford a collection, but sometimes people are simply ready to move on and will provide you with a relative bargain. And don't be afraid to walk. The last collection I bought I didn't think I'd be able to afford after looking at it (large collection of late silver and early bronze Marvel and DC). I explained the value, showed the guy the best books, explained why I didn't think I could afford the collection, and then he made me a generous offer that I could not refuse. Honesty was the key with this guy; he'd been jerked around by some shops.

One of the top things to remember is to not get your hopes up. Unless you've seen pictures of what they have don't be surprised if that Silver Age collection turns out to be '80s and '90s junk. If I had a dollar for every time someone said they have "some really old comics" for sale and it turned out to be modern junk I wouldn't have a mortgage. 2c

One of the top things to remember is to not get your hopes up. Unless you've seen pictures of what they have don't be surprised if that Silver Age collection turns out to be '80s and '90s junk. If I had a dollar for every time someone said they have "some really old comics" for sale and it turned out to be modern junk I wouldn't have a mortgage. 2c

This.

One more thing, don't get caught up in the excitement and blow your budget out. Be honest with both the seller and yourself about what is realistic for the books they've got, and don't overpay if it can be avoided.

Thanks for all the tips guys. Very helpful, and you all made good points, some stuff I'd not even thought of. I did google maps the address, and it appears to be an affluent neighborhood, so I do feel a little better about the meet. At least it's not a burned out warehouse from Old Detroit.

Whether I buy the books or not I will update tonight.

Bring lots of cash. A seller may come down significantly from his initial asking price if he sees greenbacks in hand.

If its a ritzy neighborhood, I dont think you will have to worry too much about getting robbed (at least not BEFORE you buy the books!).

Rots of Ruck!

Bring lots of cash. A seller may come down significantly from his initial asking price if he sees greenbacks in hand.

If its a ritzy neighborhood, I dont think you will have to worry too much about getting robbed (at least not BEFORE you buy the books!).

Rots of Ruck!

I've always brought plenty of cash too, and I like splitting it up in as many pockets as you can. That way you don't have to flash it all at once if you want to keep your cards close.