• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AT LAST

121 posts in this topic

Timely,

thanks for the info - I love have this pedigree overlaps perfectly with the Church pedigree. I'm not a pedigree collector, but it's nice to know that there are "newstand fresh" copies of so many books spanning the 40s & 50s.

Writing generally bothers me also on S.A. Pedigrees. In fact, I dislike anything that destroys the "straight off the presses" illusion like date stamps, writing, distributor overspray etc. This is not really an issue with Pedigree G.A. books (and also the T.O.S. #39 9.6 to a degree) as there are no other options in that grade.

White Mountain Pedigree books have stunning freshness, preservation, and cover gloss but if I had a choice between a WM and another copy of equal structural and aesthetic quality I would choose the one without the writing.

Writing generally bothers me also on S.A. Pedigrees. In fact, I dislike anything that destroys the "straight off the presses" illusion like date stamps, writing, distributor overspray etc. This is not really an issue with Pedigree G.A. books (and also the T.O.S. #39 9.6 to a degree) as there are no other options in that grade.

White Mountain Pedigree books have stunning freshness, preservation, and cover gloss but if I had a choice between a WM and another copy of equal structural and aesthetic quality I would choose the one without the writing.

Of course you would. I'm not saying that I prefer a book with writing on it. I'm just saying that on a book like this, there are a million other things more important than a tiny bit of writing.

There are people who say that they won't buy a pristine copy of a book like that because of a tiny pen mark. The writing overrides all other positives about the book, whether it be structural grade, page quality, gloss, smell, whatever. Sheer idiocy. That is my point.

That is your point of view, but please don't call people insufficiently_thoughtful_persons (indirectly) if they believe differently. Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder.

So it's OK to call people IDOITS DIRECTLY?

Back on topic, I own several White Mountain books, but all are from the 50's and have the date stamp inside (or back cover).

It's a tough call. I really like the WM pedigree, but in general, most of the books I can afford (i.e. can't afford the TOS #39 in 9.6 unless I refinance my house), I could probably find another copy in high-grade WITHOUT any markings.

As I said in another thread, Silver-Age pedigrees (especially after 1963) are nowhere as unique as GA pedigrees. I own a decent number of them, and when compared to other high-grade books in my collection, they don't stand out. What I'm really saying is that with the SA, it's not as hard to find FULL COLOR / GLOSS great PAGE QUALITY, Clean White Back Cover Non-Pedigree books.

That is your point of view, but please don't call people insufficiently_thoughtful_persons (indirectly) if they believe differently. Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder. yay.gif

Why so sensitive, Pete? I didn't call anyone an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. I said that I think it's stupid to place a pen mark above all of the other attributes of a high grade book. Some very intelligent and sophisticated collectors hold this view. I don't think they're "insufficiently_thoughtful_persons," but I think their attitudes toward writing above all else is pretty dumb.

confused-smiley-013.gif

That is your point of view, but please don't call people insufficiently_thoughtful_persons (indirectly) if they believe differently. Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder.

tongue.gifmakepoint.gif It's spelled insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

That is your point of view, but please don't call people insufficiently_thoughtful_persons (indirectly) if they believe differently. Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder. yay.gif

Why so sensitive, Pete? I didn't call anyone an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. I said that I think it's stupid to place a pen mark above all of the other attributes of a high grade book. Some very intelligent and sophisticated collectors hold this view. I don't think they're "insufficiently_thoughtful_persons," but I think their attitudes toward writing above all else is pretty dumb.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Not really sensitive. It's just in the area of "My comics are better than yours" and basically pointless. I don't feel there's anything wrong with stating an opinion but it shouldn't be qualified with "Those are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.. My argument is better than yours" blah blah blah. It just leads to flame wars.

Yah that scribble pains me

foreheadslap.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

That "scribble" is one of the hallmarks of one of the great SA pedigrees. And "scribbles" are also one of the hallmarks of the greatest pedigree of them all, the Church collection.

Yes I'm aware of that but it doesn't make me want the book more. I prefer the "no scribble" pedigree. poke2.gif

Yeah, because the presence of a tiny ink mark is far more important than the fact that the paper and printing inks are still as fresh as the day the book was printed, even after 40-50 years.

foreheadslap.gif

You make it sound like its White Mountain or nothing? If I'm going to spend $100,000 I think I might want to try and buy the other 9.6 copy that probably doesn't have writing on the cover. That would go for just about any book.

I agree with this insufficiently_thoughtful_person. stooges.gifgrin.gif (sorry I could resist wink.gif).

of work all over the wor

Reged: 07/21/02

Loc: Los Angeles, CA Re: AT LAST [Re: sfilosa]

#612105 - 10/02/04 08:04 PM Edit Reply Quote

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's spelled insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

I'm such an insufficiently_thoughtful_person!!!

Better. tongue.gif

That "scribble" is one of the hallmarks of one of the great SA pedigrees. And "scribbles" are also one of the hallmarks of the greatest pedigree of them all, the Church collection.

I confess my ignorance, I was not aware that this was a hallmark of the WM pedigree. Is it true for all books or just the 60s comics? I remeber seeing some WM pre-code books years ago at a con, but didn't notice dates on them - but I probably wasn't looking that closely.

Almost all of the SA WMs that I've seen have the writing. Here's an example:

606165-B%26B%2043.jpg

Not me, I like the pedigrees. The good news for you is that Pacific Coasts and Curators don't seem to have any writing/stamps, nor do most of the Western Penns (although a few have a date stamp on the back).

As I said in another thread, Silver-Age pedigrees (especially after 1963) are nowhere as unique as GA pedigrees. I own a decent number of them, and when compared to other high-grade books in my collection, they don't stand out. What I'm really saying is that with the SA, it's not as hard to find FULL COLOR / GLOSS great PAGE QUALITY, Clean White Back Cover Non-Pedigree books.

Maybe post-1964 this is true, but up to 1964, many of the top copies are from pedigrees. Plus, I would argue that there is a HUGE difference between a pre-1965 9.4 Curator/PC/Western Penn copy and a non-pedigree 9.4 copy of the same book.

I think it's stupid to place a pen mark above all of the other attributes of a high grade book. Some very intelligent and sophisticated collectors hold this view. I don't think they're "insufficiently_thoughtful_persons," but I think their attitudes toward writing above all else is pretty dumb.

893applaud-thumb.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

Not really sensitive. It's just in the area of "My comics are better than yours" and basically pointless. I don't feel there's anything wrong with stating an opinion but it shouldn't be qualified with "Those are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.. My argument is better than yours" blah blah blah. It just leads to flame wars.

I HATE YOU PETE!!!!! makepoint.gif893censored-thumb.gifsumo.gif

flowerred.gifyay.gifpoke2.gif

When I pay thousands of dollars of my hard-earned money on a comic book, you better be damn sure that it has it ALL. Great page quality, great cut, great wrap, great eye appeal, no writing, no date stamps, no dust shadows, and no major structural flaws that bother me. If I am an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for not wasting my money on books that do not fulfill this criteria in EVERY respect, then acclaim.gif

The only Pedigree I would make an exception on would be the Edgar Church books. I believe this collection to be of such magnitude in the history of this hobby that almost every copy stands alone as the finest example there will ever be. thumbsup2.gif