• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well, I got suckered on this Detective #31...

162 posts in this topic

Something that bugs me is why don't more sellers adversities their telephone numbers and invite questions from prospective buyers? I've been an ebay seller since 01/99 and I put my telephone number in every listing. I get probably 25-30% off ebay sales that way.

I'm surprised(pleasantly) that eBay allows you to list your phone number. I thought they did everything possible to discourage off-eBay sales.

One thing that made me think the listing might be genuine is that he listed the label notes, which are clearly NOT readable in the pics. Bill's eBay listing is 2 years old, so this guy must grab the scans and description and wait a few years to post them under a hijacked account.

Well, on the positive side, he does offer free shipping. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist that one. It's really a bummer that eBay can't control these things better. If a person's eBay info and PayPal info don't match, why doesn't eBay block the listing until the seller provides an explanation? Seems like a minimal safeguard that should be easy to implement and would at least make scammers jump through a few more hoops, thereby deterring some.

You should retitle this thread; "Why you shouldn't buy high dollar books on EBay." Seriously, I have always been leery of everything on that site and have heard way too many stories.

The only time I tried to do a high dollar transaction was as a seller when I wanted to sell my '67 Cougar. The high bidder completely backed out, no explanation, no nothing. EBay's response was non-existent. That was it; I only buy water filters, batteries and vacuum bags now and the occasional odd auto part. Flea-Bay it is.

I just spoke to the actual owner of the eBay account. She confirmed that her account was hijacked, and that she doesn't know Vincent, the owner of the Paypal account.

I called Paypal and let them know, they escalated my dispute to a claim, and barring unforeseen events, my payment will be refunded on the 21st.

I just spoke to the actual owner of the eBay account. She confirmed that her account was hijacked, and that she doesn't know Vincent, the owner of the Paypal account.

I called Paypal and let them know, they escalated my dispute to a claim, and barring unforeseen events, my payment will be refunded on the 21st.

good news Jeff :)

The plot thickens. Got this email this afternoon...

Dear Mr. Delaney

My name is Rosaria Hafner, I am the mother of Vincent Beck, who was unwittingly the victim of a scam. I would like to communicate with you to see how we can settle this matter.

Regards

Rosaria

She may have initiated contact because I emailed Vincent an article about a Los Angeles man who's currently facing 75 years in prison for eBay fraud.

I also wonder if her emails are part of the fraud. Enter the sympathetic mother figure. I'm treading very carefully.