• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are ComicCons a Good Place to sell a key book?

14 posts in this topic

The Motor City ComicCon is coming here in October.

Is this a good place to take My CGC 2.0 FF#1?

If so-any good stategies? Just hit every dealer and go with the best offer?

I know ebay may e better-but i don't have the account needed in my opinion.

(I only have bought-never sold anything-and only about 40 buys-all good feedback) I don't want to list it on someones account and pay 20 or 30%.

Thanks in advance.

Why don't you just list it on Comiclink, pedigreecomics.com, or metropolis?

That way you won't have to spend the legwork finding a buyer.

I doubt you will find any buyers at a con at the price you'll be happy with.

you can always list it on Ebay with a reserve of what you would like out of it at a minimum ( maybe 80% on a slabbed Key book). or that as a minimum to reduce fees and bidding.

Attached is my copy of FF1. Part of a package of bigger books that I bought from an old comic book store owner after he closed his store. For those in the SFV it was Ninth Nebula. That was certainly one of my top 3 big time investments in comics.

610067-ff1.jpg.a74de19d14258c2d22453233d08952a8.jpg

What grade is your book in your opinion? Also-I'm being told by one guy I might be better off Unslabbing the book as he felt (most do that have seen it firsthand)

That it is a bit low. Or is the CGC mark at 2.0 better that a "Guessed" 2.5 or 3.0?

jmg's book looks like a nice 4.0 to me.

I don't think you'll see much of a CGC "premium" paid for a book in the 2.0 range. If I'm not mistaken, FFB initially advised you (rightfully) that there is not much of a price differential between slabbed and unslabbed in this condition.

That said, I don't think you'll do better by unslabbing it because it doesn't look MUCH better than the given grade. Sometimes you might be wise to unslab a book if it has much better eye appeal than its label grade.

However, the staining on your book will always leave people wondering, and some might guess that CGC would grade it LOWER than a 2.0 due to the stains...

So, I think you're better off leaving it slabbed and hoping for the best.

BTW, I'd sell it on eBay. Why limit yourself to a few dozen dealers at a con when you can showcase it to millions on eBay? The only way I'd bring it to a con was if I was going to try to set up a trade deal.

luckystiff:

I tend to agree with Zipper and FFB on this point too... low grade unslabbed isn't going to be that much of a difference in price.

As for shopping it at a con, the answer is absolutely not. Most dealers will not be willing to pay full market price (nor should they to be honest) for the book, and probably won't give you a high percentage of market value for a low grade book, even a FF# 1.

You will always do better selling to a collector if you can than a dealer, unless you've got a high grade gem, and don't want to go through the time and effort of selling it yourself, if you know for a fact you can get a very fair price from a dealer (who may just happen to have a higher bidding customer lined up).

I'd avoid a show as a selling spot, but you might want to go shop it around anyway -- it certainly can't hurt and you always turn down an offer that doesn't meet your expectations.

Now that you have it in a slab, I would leave it there. If you wind up selling it on eBay, having the assurance of 3rd party grading will buy you a lot of credibility: even buyers of low-grade books will appreciate knowing it is complete, free of undisclosed interior defects, and not a reprint. thumbsup2.gif

Now that you have it in a slab, I would leave it there. If you wind up selling it on eBay, having the assurance of 3rd party grading will buy you a lot of credibility: even buyers of low-grade books will appreciate knowing it is complete, free of undisclosed interior defects, and not a reprint. thumbsup2.gif

If you sell it on eBay, I will bid on that book if it is still in the slab and if you advertise in your auction that the book will ship well packed with adequate padding, and double-boxed. (Slabbed CGC book with lots of padding inside of a Medium FedEx box that is then placed within a Large FedEx box, for example, which is how I ship them.)

I could use a low grade FF to fill out my early FF run until I'm ready for an upgrade (i.e., after I pay for my wedding next year). 27_laughing.gif

Or, list it on ComicLink with good scans at $1500-1650 and I'll bet it sells within a month. You'll pay ComicLink a 10% commission, plus shipping costs from you to them and from them to the buyer. A CGC 2.0 with Cream to Off-White pages just sold for $1,350 in June 2004 and I think could go a little higher.

Do NOT unslab the book. Although you won't get a premium for it, if you try to sell the book on ComicLink, it will not sell quickly if it isn't slabbed. A slabbed copy on ebay will also generate more interest and more bids. There is no upside to unslabbing it in my view.

You'll get ripped off at a con. You're better off listing on Comiclink or eBay with a reserve.

Yep, I believe this to be your best bet to. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Be sure to provide large scans, front & Back: nothing worse than the little pics with fuzzy resolution! frustrated.gif