• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Copper Age mini-series?

85 posts in this topic

Mike Kaluta: "Starstruck, a space-opera-type comic book, filled with humor, adventure and "cheek", was born from the play of the same name. Having worked on costumes and set designs for the play and being sympatico with the author, when it came to getting the property out there to the public, a comic book was seen to be a great idea.

It turned out the play wouldn't really translate into a comic, it being a string of speeches by a dozen characters on stage. It worked on stage: the sets, the lights, the action, the actors, all combined to make for a very fun evening. But if the comic book followed the play's structure, it would have been a dull read.

Elaine Lee decided to do comics as a prequel to the play. In mining the history, we discovered much more about the characters. The one or two line character descriptions in the play turned into approximately 600 pages of comic book story and art.

First published in Spain, then Heavy Metal Magazine, Starstruck came to the attention of Jim Shooter at Marvel Comics. Marvel had recently started their graphic novel line but each graphic novel took over a year to create. Jim Shooter saw Starstruck as a nice, hefty full-color graphic novel ready to publish. Through the editorial hand of Archie Goodwin, the Epic Comics graphic novel of Starstruck was born. Though the dyed-in-the-wool Marvel fan saw Starstruck as a totally confusing book about nothing they were interested in, the Marvel imprint was a big door-opener for our comic. Through Epic Comics, Starstruck found its audience. Two years after the Epic comic, Mike Richardson at Dark Horse Comics became the angel who let Elaine and me enhance the Starstruck material, adding well over 300 projected pages to the already existing 300.

http://www.penguincomics.net/kaluta.htm

Machine Man by BWS.

okay, just kidding. although i love me some Barry Windsor-Smith. hey, at least i didn't say "X-Men vs. EveryOtherTeaminTheMarvelUniverse"

There are two during the Age that stand-out in my eyes...

OMAC by John Byrne - I've heard Kirby hated the mini but I quite liked it. Byrne put an entirely new spin on a character that I really didn't care about before...

Batman: The Cult by Jim Starlin and Berni Wrightson - Great Batman story with nice art by Wrightson. I passed this series, as well as the Killing Joke, around to non-comic collecting friends who all really liked them. That's good enough in my book...

Jim

Green Arrow by Mike W. Barr, Trevor Von Eeden and Giordano. The best Green Arrow story ever. Even better than The Longbow Hunters, in my opinion.

At that time, Von Eeden's art was so stylized and beautiful. It made me a Von Eeden fan for life.

But, it was Barr's story that kept me coming back each month.

Mike Baron's Badger (Capital Comics) also deserves an mention - those early issues were a scream.

Quote from Mike on Badger:

“At the core of his being, Badger is a crypto-biotic tartigrade. He's a weisenheimer. He's a low-down, belly-crawlin' snake. I beg the question. I beg the answer. I beg your pardon. The Badger's core is boring. His personalities are exciting.”

If you don't mind my asking, how much did those runs set your back? Are they all that nice? They look 9.0 or better. I am still working on a complete Groo run myself (about 80% done) and I pick up issues here and there. I had some of the Lone Wolf stuff, but sold it awhile ago....would love to read the whole series though.

$180 - the books will most likely grade between 9.4\9.6:

Gorgeous books you have there. thumbsup2.gif My Groos are pretty beat up from having been read so many times when I was younger. Was the $180 for both runs, or just the Groos? I was more interested in the price of the LW&C books, since I don't have any of those...

Thanks. The combined cost was $180 - LWAC was $65.

893whatthe.gif Seriously? You got a sweet deal. That's only a little more than $1 a comic if you picked up all 120 Groos and all 45 LW&C issues.