• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What will drive the NEXT big speculation boom?

72 posts in this topic

I think the next big innovation that could drive new issue sales will be the rise of large retail comic shop chains. Only now are systems becoming available to allow for the management and oversight of multiple locations in varying locales. And these systems also allow the diversification of products which are necessary for retail growth. Newbury Comics has 28 stores! That is amazing to me. And with that size comes an exponential increase in buying power, advertising opportunities, market penetration, and product awareness. Basically large retail comic chains legitimize the product to a larger segment of the general population thus insuring the exposure of these characters to a ton more folks.

I think the next big innovation that could drive new issue sales will be the rise of large retail comic shop chains. Only now are systems becoming available to allow for the management and oversight of multiple locations in varying locales. And these systems also allow the diversification of products which are necessary for retail growth. Newbury Comics has 28 stores! That is amazing to me. And with that size comes an exponential increase in buying power, advertising opportunities, market penetration, and product awareness. Basically large retail comic chains legitimize the product to a larger segment of the general population thus insuring the exposure of these characters to a ton more folks.

Let me know when you're ready to open a store in St Louis. I can hook you up with a manager. :gossip:

Let me know when you're ready to open a store in St Louis. I can hook you up with a manager. :gossip:

Transplant lost his job!?! :o

Transplant lost his job!?! :o

:sumo:

1) It seems that movies are the biggest primary reason for driving up the price on comics. First appearances seem like safe bets for movies that haven't been made about the character yet too.

2) For it to return to the time of the 90s, we need cheaper prices on comics that can be bought in more places outside the LCS. However, the marketing strategies of DC lately with the new 52 and the 3d covers are exceptional given today's challenges. It's reminiscent of Stan Lee's strategy of making a Marvel World where all the characters coexist in each other's comics.

3) Props to ComicConnisseur for mentioning the talents of a yet unknown up an coming artist. I forgot about that. Although, I don't think the industry will be like it ever was.

Comics are now cool.

It's ok to read one in public without ridicule.

When they revert to nerdish, prices will reflect that.

Do you think comics will go to franchise operations like fast food chains?

Do you think comics will go to franchise operations like fast food chains?

It's possible, though I doubt that customers would frequent a soulless fast food type comic shop for an extended period of time. Every successful comic shop has some kind of unique atmosphere, an organic charisma, a culture inherent to that shop which is the heart of its success. The cool thing with some of the bigger chain comic shops is that they are generally all naturally growing from established shops started by genuine comic fans.