• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man #36 (Dec. 2001)

9 posts in this topic

A memorable issue.

The anniversary of the September 11, 2001 attacks brings back many memories. I have also been thinking about some of the comics released in the aftermath, particularly Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #36 (Dec. 2001), the black cover. It has been several years since I last read this issue but I remember a few panels very well. The panel with Dr. Doom shedding a tear is one, another is the heroes of the Marvel Universe helping out on ground zero. I also remember a panel where Spider-Man is asked how he could let something like this happen, you feel for Spider-Man, you see how he felt helpless, like so many of us did when we saw the events unfold on T.V. I would like to read this one again, I thought it was a fitting tribute, one that really captured all the feelings and fears of that particular time. A few months before the attacks, I was at the movies where I saw a trailer that started with a group or robbers hitting a bank and then escaping by helicopter, I remember wondering what this was and I heard someone in the audience say this was for Spider-Man. Sure enough, the helicopter started shaking, then the next clip was the helicopter tangled in webs in between the twin towers - Spider-Man was coming to theaters in next summer! I thought this was a cool trailer and became excited for the upcoming movie. When the attacks happened I thought about the trailer, when the movie came out I noticed a few shots with the twin towers, one at night where you can barely see them in the background and one where you can briefly see them reflected in Spider-Man's lenses. There was also a two volume set released, 9/11: Artist Respond, I did pick up Volume 2 several years after it was released, with a cover of Superman admiring a portrait of the first responders. The comics did a good job in recognizing the everyday heroes and also in showing the responses and emotions of those who survived the attacks and/or lost loved ones. I've said before that comics are just comic books and there is a lot more that can be said about that day, but these comics in particular; especially the Spider-Man issue really shines and does a good job in capturing that moment in time. I do not necessarily associate Spider-Man and 9/11 but I can't help but think of that trailer and the #36 comic each year on the anniversary.

14274.jpg

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd

I'm not sure if its still free, but the ASM 36 was a free download on the marvel comics app. Its an amazing issue that pays tribute to the real heroes of the world. That Dr. Doom scene is extremely powerful. I would like to own this book eventually. I remember that trailer as well. I thought it was amazing and it had me pumped to see that movie. I'm disappointed it wasn't added as a deleted scene to the dvd's though.

Being a New Yorker... every year, on the anniversary of 9/11, I would watch the CNBC broadcast of the news at it played out on that morning.

I'll never forget that day... where I was... how scared and shocked... saddened... angry... confused... helpless... And feeling like the world had come to an end. I remember punching a wall and leaving my knuckle impression... that's how mad I was. And then I cried.

This was truly our darkest hour.

And even though we are now 12 years removed... watching the footage and seeing the documentaries and the reading of the names is very very touch to watch... all those old feelings just come back.

SW3D

I had joined the Army in 99 not to long after I graduated High School. At the time I had been stationed at Fort Benning, GA and was in the field on a training exercise when our Sergeant Major made a surprise visit out on us. Thinking we had screwed up or were about to get chewed out for something irrelevant we were all asked to gather around the main rally point and were told about what had happened. I remember a look of confusion coming over most of us at first with one Soldier younger than me asking if this was the new training scenario or something. It was seeing this old time Soldier's built up anger that we knew it was no longer a part of training but that something had happened that would change everything we had known as Soldiers.

Soon after we were pulled from the field and out on gate guard checkpoints searching vehicles as if every intended individual were a suspected terrorist. I won't forget where I was nor the multiple scenes’ we were shown as CNN, NBC, and every other news agency had looped footage of the attack. I also won't forget the amount of men who were at the time preparing for the civilian world only to turn back around and put the uniform on to re-enlist. Most if not all of us knew what it meant after the attack. We knew once the first Batt. had deployed to Afghanistan that eventually our number would be called and all of us eagerly awaited the ability to get on the bird and do whatever was necessary to find those responsible.

Since that time there have been multiple re-enlistments with multiple tours into this half of the world. I would never change a thing or my commitment to do what was and still is necessary to prevent my children and others from going through what we had lived through on that dreaded day. I also will never forget those we lost both then and the days, weeks, months, and years to follow.

I can't remember for the life of me what comic it was and only by chance saw something a few years back that I thought was cool. It was a scene in which a Soldier must have day dreamed Captain America was over here with him in the middle of a fire fight and had asked this Soldier for assistance. The two of them rendered aid for their fallen, returned fire on the enemy, and did what was necessary in the heat of battle. Following the actions the Soldiers command commended him for his valor and gallantry in battle. When he stated he had received help from Capt. America everyone had just kind of looked at him oddly and told him they had all seen what he himself had done. It was an amazing story and one I truly wish I had picked up back when it was first printed but it still helps to think about while over here. There are no comic book heroes in real life, but there are still heroes.

Been a little while and yes I know horrible photo but for now it will do. Absolutely love Mitch Brietweiser's cover here and after talking to him and his wife found out this watercolor cover was actually his wife's idea to send in and not what was originally planned apparently. I guess wives do know best...

2140096_Full_Obv.jpg