• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What 80's series needs to be reprinted?

44 posts in this topic

As I look over my Dreadstar hardcover and anticipate the release of the American Flagg! hardcover in November.... I was thinking that maybe it's time for more of those great books of the 80's to start coming back as hardcovers and/or tradepaperbacks. (Dreadstar and Flagg! are also available as tpbs).

Dynamite Entertainment has announced that they have obtained permission to reprint Tim Truman's Scout, which is great news. And if I recall correctly Jon Sable, Freelance has found a new home at IDW.

Plus there's the Marvelman revival at Marvel's Icon in early '05.

AT MARVEL:

You have hardcover reprints from Wizard of 80's-centric X-Men, Spider-Man and Wolverine stories. A new oversized hardcover reprint of the Wolverine mini-series (with Weapon X along for the ride). Marvel has announced an expansion of their trade paperback division and promises more collections of older material (including more 80s classics). Miller's DD is available in hardcovers and tpbs. Simonson's Thor is available in a hardcover (1st volume) and as tpbs. Byrne's classic FF run is gradually being reprinted as tpbs.... plus there are other volumes like Secret Wars that are in print.

AT DC:

You have archives of New Teen Titans, tpbs of classic NTT stories, Crisis is available as a TPB (and was also a limited hardcover). All of Moore's Swamp Thing is out as tpbs. There are two volumes of Maguire/Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League in print (we need more! How about Justice League Europe?). Now DC is reprinting Byrne Superman stories and Perez' Wonder Woman. What's next?

What books do you feel should be revived for a new generation?

For me the book that desperately needs to be revived as trades or as hardcovers is Mike Baron and Steve Rude's NEXUS. If any series stands the test of time I think it's this series. The Dude's art is incomparable!

There are two volumes of Maguire/Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League in print (we need more! How about Justice League Europe?).

thumbsup2.gif That series worked for me for maybe fifty issues and JLE worked for at least 20, so I'd like to see all of those reprinted.

Two JLE stories really stand out to me:

1. The return of Starro the Conqueror.

2. The Extremists (I think that's what they were called). Villains from another world that bore similar traits to Marvel's deadliest fiends (like Doom and Doc Ock).

Fantastic artwork by Bart Sears, before his proportions got too out of hand.

Yeah, Nexus should be reprinted in TPB to get a chance at capturing the SF readership at Barnes & Noble, etc.

My other picks--

- Denny O'Neil's The Question, at least up to the Green Arrow x-over and Rorshach homage (#18?)

- The 1981/1982 Batman/Detective run with art alternating between Don Newton and Gene Colan. I've always thought this period, under Giordano's editorship and just prior to the intro of Jason Todd, is overlooked.

- The George Perez issues of JLA. Add JLA #200 as well for the artistic jam between Kubert, Aparo, Bolland, Kane, Infantino, Giordano.

i remember when JL was hot, i still have like 4 copies of #1. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

totally remember that , and the variant cover to # 3 (yellow with new art)

And the JLE # 2 was really hot as well.

I want Marvel to do a Claremont/Miller Deluxe , slipcased, signed and numbered WOLVERINE hardcover with slipcase that is die-cut with claw marks!

Eagle Comics' Judge Dredd series needs to be reprinted in an American TPB format. "Block Mania"/"The Apocalypse War" would make my list of top 20 all-time favorite comic book storylines.

The Adventurers would make an awesome collection.

Eclipse's "Airboy" would be worthy in my book. That book kicked @$$ for a while.

Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters (Eclipse) was funnier (if not better) than TMNT in my opinion. They should collect all those issues in one volume.

I wish someone would put out the fourth Zot book. Kitchen Sink went under right after the third book and no one has finished off the series. Those last issues are the best of the whole run, imo.

I've been hoping DC would put out a Frank Miller Batman Absolute Edition. DK I, Year One, DK II, and that Santa Claus story in one giant volume.

American Flagg! should be put out. It would still be considered groundbreaking today. What happened to that hardcover?

Judge Dredd was pretty awesome. I friend of mine swore they were the best books ever but I have a natural contrariness that said they couldn't possibly be as good as Mage or NTT or whatever, so it took me forever to read them. Not the best books in the world, but they were pretty, especially the stories with Bolland art. I never got into Ezquerra. Hmmm, I wonder if my LCS has any. So many crazy, funny, horrible, and increasingly-plausible ideas running through those books.

I'd also like a Nexus collection. I'm missing one issue out of the first 40 or so, and it's #21, IIRC, where his origin is revealed, I think.

And they aren't too hard to find, but the Pacific Berni Wrightson book should be collected.

Three years after I wrote this and there is a lot of 80's and 90's material being reprinted on a regular basis.

DC Comics

Who would have thought we would finally see a collection of Sword of the Atom?

Nice to see DC collecting the Byrne-Wolfman-Ordway Superman run, the Perez Wonder Woman, the Question and other series.

I see Justice League by Giffen/Dematteis/Maguire is getting the hardcover treatment in January.

We've had that big Absolute Dark Knight that someone was asking for, as well as Absolute Crisis and Absolute Watchmen.

Some DC 1980's books that need reprinting include:

Captain Atom - the first two years of this title were great.

Green Arrow - time to get the Longbow Hunters into a hardcover edition and follow that up with some trades of the first few issues of the regular series.

The Spectre - the Ostrander-Mandrake run. A little more recent but still deserving of reprinting beyond the one trade that was released.

Justice League - we need to get trades of the 80's Justice League up to about issue 50 - beyond Maguire we had Ty Templeton's run and Adam Hughes real last monthly gig.

Justice League Europe - doesn't reviving the Extremists in Countdown warrant a reprinting of their first appearance?

New Titans - more Perez-Wolfman trades or archives. We need to get to those Tom Grummett issues with Wildebeest, Pantha and more.

Batman - someone should reprint the Kelley Jones issues of Batman from the 1990's, those were great.

Marvel Comics

It's Marvel reprint mania... more Simonson Thor, Miller Daredevil Omnibuses, Byrne Visionaries, Avengers West Coast by Byrne, Kraven's Last Hunt hardcovers, Peter David Visionaries --- the list goes on and on.

Why not reprint Conspiracy and Ruins?

How about a Roger Stern Spider-Man Visionaries?

Dynamite

Where's that American Flagg! Hardcover.

Finally a second Dreadstar hardcover has been announced.

Dark Horse

The Nexus Hardcovers keep on coming. Might want to put them in trades at some point for those that don't want to pay $50 for comics generally found in the dollar bins.

Conan reprinting is now heading into Copper territory (and Bronze again with the Savage Sword reprints) but there are some Conan series that can be collected now and released as trades, such as the three issue series with art by Claudio Castellini from the 1990's, or the Rafael Kayanan art Conan reboot stories. What about some King Conan trades?

The Grendel Hardcovers were great, but why stop there? Do a Christine Spar Grendel hardcover and continue with the later series within a series that made up the Grendel monthly.

----

On top of that...

We need Valiant collections like the Harbinger one, but ones not shrouded in legal mire

How about some Malibu collections - Prime, Night Man, The Strangers, etc.

I'd like to see the following

Byrne FF run

Romita jr Spidey run

Buscema/Palmer Avengers run

The aforementioned giffen/dematteis/mcguire JL books

Ron Frenz spidey run

Sgt Rock (from about 310-360)

GI Combat

The Byrne FF run has almost been reprinted in it's entirety in the Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne trade paperback series. Seven volumes have been released and they include annuals and crossovers. The first volume begins with FF232.

Volume 8 is due in December 2007 and collects Fantastic Four #287-295 (including 2 issues he didn't do that complete a story he started).

bl0uhfa6.jpg

Amazing how prescient your post was from three years ago. So happy to see some of my favorite titles from the 80's repackaged for a new audience. I love the NEXUS hardcovers, especially, but agree that they'll need to be put out in tpb format eventually if they hope to reach an audience outside the existing die-hards (like me).

GRIMJACK and BADGER are or will be reprinted through IDW. New BADGER comics are due in '08. New GRIMJACK comics are available for free online on Comicmix.com. JON SABLE is supposed to follow there shortly, as well.

One of my 80's favorites, ROCKETEER, is being prepped for an HC by Dave Stevens himself.

Finally, there needs to be a resolution to the whole MIRACLEMAN quagmire. I still hold out hope. If NEXUS can be re-released in HC format, anything is possible.

Amazing how prescient your post was from three years ago. So happy to see some of my favorite titles from the 80's repackaged for a new audience. I love the NEXUS hardcovers, especially, but agree that they'll need to be put out in tpb format eventually if they hope to reach an audience outside the existing die-hards (like me).

GRIMJACK and BADGER are or will be reprinted through IDW. New BADGER comics are due in '08. New GRIMJACK comics are available for free online on Comicmix.com. JON SABLE is supposed to follow there shortly, as well.

One of my 80's favorites, ROCKETEER, is being prepped for an HC by Dave Stevens himself.

Finally, there needs to be a resolution to the whole MIRACLEMAN quagmire. I still hold out hope. If NEXUS can be re-released in HC format, anything is possible.

I love my Nexus hardcovers, and I hope they continue with them until the entire series is collected, but they really are for the die-hards like us.

Glad to hear about the Rocketeer HC collection. That was another favourite of mine.

I also think it might be wise for someone to collect the Elric, Hawkmoon and Corum series that First Comics published based on the Moorcock novels. The last Elric novel Stormbringer was published and collected by Dark Horse. The Corum stuff was done at first by Mike Mignola and still looks great. It would be wise of someone to try their hand at an Elric series again, or at least to adapt the new Elric novels Moorcock has been writing.

And I completely agree with you on Miracleman.

The Byrne FF run has almost been reprinted in it's entirety in the Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne trade paperback series. Seven volumes have been released and they include annuals and crossovers. The first volume begins with FF232.

Volume 8 is due in December 2007 and collects Fantastic Four #287-295 (including 2 issues he didn't do that complete a story he started).

bl0uhfa6.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

bl0uhfa6.jpg

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up

Ms. Tree. I've got a couple of the issues but I'd like to read more.

Roger Stern Dr. Strange. People say it's great but I've yet to read it.

Byrne Hulk & She Hulk

NAM (and a big chunk of it too, not just 4 issues)

West Coast Avengers

Stuff I loved (but I doubt I'd buy as a trade since I got them in comic form)

Byrne Alpha Flight

Roger Stern FF (which took place after Byrne's)

Roger Stern Avengers Run, especially Assault on Olympus story arc after the Mansion Siege.

Micheline Spider-Man

Peter David Spider-Man

More Stern Spider-Man (especially the Juggernaut story)

Evolutionary War