• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about comic book frames

18 posts in this topic

Hello We just got into our new house and I am wanting to frame some of my favorite comics and put them on the wall. I have a couple of questions about this. First where is the best place to buy frames for comics and second should I frame the comics baged and boarded or just the comic. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Randy

For graded books, I use Sams Frames. He also can do bagged and boarded. Just be patient with him. He makes them by hand and you may have to wait a little bit for larger orders or if a larger order in in front of yours.

They are just wood. No front protection. They slide in. The top flap comes out with a dowel plug holding it in place. There's really no need for a bag for extra protection (graded), unless you really want to. Just keep them out of direct sunlight like you would any comic.

http://www.frameitagainsam.com/

I'm going to use the wire closet shelving and invert the shelf so the shelf is vertical and the lip is horizontal to hold the comics...that way I can swap them out easily after a while and display different books if I choose to.

My LCS does this and it's a pretty inexpensive & neat idea.

Peace,

Chip

Thanks for the links. I will be ordering from them.

Here is another option: http://www.thecollectorsresource.com/.

I have purchased from them before. I like the UV museum quality frames. They look good and are a little more affordable than some of the other companies.

That Bat frame is pretty awesome.

Randy, an alternative to framing is "picture ledge-ing" - I've done this to be able to rotate comics very easily:

PgsVE5u.png

Please excuse the terrible picture and the piles of stuff for eBay shipping captured against the wall there.

I did originally think of going down the individual frame path but it began to look a bit costly.

Those ledges are RIBBA Picture Ledges from IKEA.

Although more "key" books I might still stick in a dedicated frame though... and I'd probably go Gweedo's based on the look of them.

Although I also saw these on the weekend. Pricey - but could be fun for a couple of key issues:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Custom-CGC-PGX-Comic-Book-Frames-/251325950054

I swap out my Gweedo's all the time. They are fairly easy to load and unload. And the reason I went with them is that he uses oak for the frames. The only downside is he doesn't add the hanging hardware. But that's easy to take care of with a couple of eye screws and some picture wire. That said I also love the picture ledge look.

Yeah fair point. I think the most crucial for me ended up being the price over the ease of swapping.

With the frames, not counting shipping to Aus, I was looking at around 5 frames for $100-ish.

Or with ledges, for $100 I got 4 x long and 5 x short. In the pictures I've only put up 2 long and 2 short... for a total of 14 comics displayed.

Still have another 2 long and 3 short sitting the garage where I work out where to stick them! lol

BUT, I'm still planning on getting some frames. I was thinking a frame either side of the frames I've currently got under the ledges could look okay.

I'm just a bit off put by the shipping on them and the fact I'd have to go glass-free.

Bummer about the lacking hardware. But the oak is very good!

Yeah, the price can get steep if you're hanging a bunch. I have 42 up so that means I've spent a pretty penny on my framing. That said I have a 103 year old house full of hardwood so I wanted something that kept that look.

Wow mate - 42. Is it ironic that is also the meaning of life?

That would look stunning in a house full of hard wood. I can already tell, without seeing pictures, that it's worth the investment.

That said... would love to see pictures! :)

Wow dntfeedthghtnkys that ledging looks cool to. I might have to use them to, Thanks Randy

No worries mate and thanks - it's just a low cost alternative. I'm a tight-... so... :shrug:

They are in the stairwell going up to the kids rooms. Hard to take a good picture, here's my show us your comic room post. The comics being displayed have changed some though:

My Stairwell

That is awesome mate! Looks unreal. If you can ever be bothered, I'd love to see a photo of how you've fixed them to the wall!

Awesome, awesome stuff. (worship)