• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inappropriate Ads in Comics

80 posts in this topic

We all know about the various ads for terribly disappointing junk from comic books, but what are the truly inappropriate ads? The ones that just don't seem like they should be in books read by kids?

I found this one in an issue of Love Romances from 1961. I don't know if this ad was common in 1961 books since I don't have many, or if this was specially targeted for "mommy's copy" of the romance books. Either that or kids were more sophisticated back then.

sjOSIel.jpg

Aren't there blow up doll ads in some of the old 60s and 70s comics? I feel like I've seen them.

I think one of the cooler things was reading an early 80s book. I saw an advertisement for my comic shop. It was just one of those mail away ads, but still pretty cool. Still under the same ownership too. My LCS is a wealth of knowledge.

So it was okay to sell the kiddies Atomic Nuclear Submarines...

At the time I felt envious that American kids could buy one of those. They could get hold of anything, it would seem.

We all know about the various ads for terribly disappointing junk from comic books, but what are the truly inappropriate ads? The ones that just don't seem like they should be in books read by kids?

I found this one in an issue of Love Romances from 1961. I don't know if this ad was common in 1961 books since I don't have many, or if this was specially targeted for "mommy's copy" of the romance books. Either that or kids were more sophisticated back then.

sjOSIel.jpg

You must have missed the one for the smoking jacket, the ascot, and the

Dr. Grabow pipe.

So it was okay to sell the kiddies Atomic Nuclear Submarines, bu not a home bar?
How do you think America developed the Nuclear Bomb? Child Labor.
I thought America did it with imported German labor? :shrug:

sjOSIel.jpg

Well, here's a magazine ad from around the same time.....yes...it's for Meth.

3msa8.jpg

This one always bothered me.

petmonkeyad.jpg

Did anyone ever buy one of these?

How were they shipped? Hopefully as carefully as shown in Boozad's "How to pack your books for shipping" thread!

Evidently, they were shipped in a box with a chicken wire window.

I just read this account.

It came in this little cardboard box. I mean, I’m saying small. It was probably the size of a shoebox, except it was higher. It had a little chicken wire screen window in it. There was a cut out. All you could see if you looked in there was his face.

It's a good story. He goes on to talk about how it bit the heck out of him. :)

MAIL-ORDER FRIENDS: THE COMIC BOOK SQUIRREL MONKEYS

The mail-order raccoon would be a lot more popular now. Shipped with two replica Uzis.

Ahead of its time, that one.

Back in 1968, I worked in a pet shop which leased space from A&S Department store located in downtown Brooklyn, NY. There was a cage with two squirrel monkeys in it for sale. I can't recall what the price for them was but it was probably $35.00 to $50.00.

One day while at work, one of the squirrel monkeys got loose. The cage door was secured with a lock but there was some play in it due to the size of the hasp. Someone probably tried to open the door but the lock prevented them from opening it completely and the door was ajar but still secured by the lock. One of the monkeys was able to squeeze out through the opening, remember these guys were small. It got loose on the 5th floor of A&S and was running and jumping up on counters, knocking things over and down onto to the floor. Women with baby carriages were running and screaming like King Kong was loose. Picture the scenes in Japanese films where the entire population of Tokyo is running away from some gigantic monster.

I was tasked with trying to catch it. I got a towel and chased that monkey throughout the floor. I finally cornered the monkey in the housewares department. After knocking down some pots, I threw the towel on it and grabbed it. The little Kong bit my finger as I secured it but I managed to hold onto it and return it to it's cage.

I had to get a tetnus shot in the store's clinic and my friends called me monkey man for some time thereafter.