• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sea Devils

67 posts in this topic

Here's a recreation I commissioned from Heath of Showcase 27. He modified the color scheme to what he would have done and drew what was under the text box on the published comic.

He did not like that gray had been used at the top of the image where the sun shines through the water as that was not realistic. He used white to better imitate what a diver would actually see. He also did not like the gray used for the shadow cast by the giant hand as that was colored as if the shadow was on land. In water, the shadow would be a darker shade of the color of the water.

I took a long lunch break to pick this up from his agent and, back at work, showed it to a co-worker who was a scuba diver. She remarked that females do not look like that when they are in a wet suit.

That is simply awesome!!!!!

"She remarked that females do not look like that when they are in a wet suit."

Did she ever watch a James Bond movie?

Interesting that to my knowledge the only James Bond comic title was Dr. No in Showcase. Unfortunately, even there the cover was easily the best rendered part of the comic:

showcase43.jpg

(shrug)

I am in the process of scanning a majority of my collection that I haven't touched in over 20 years. It is a daunting task as I have nearly 15,000 books stored away. Half-way through my first box and I ran across a few issues of Sea Devils. I really never appreciated these books before but some of these Howard Purcell covers are stunning - especially the #22. Not going to post them all but here's a few. I love the big monster covers :cloud9:

So what other forgotten treasures have you found since then?

???

I'm in.

SHOWCASE6002.jpg

So have you upgraded that thing yet?

;)