• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sea Devils

67 posts in this topic

I think Sea Devils are some of the greatest books that were to come out of the silver age.Unfortunately I don`t own any,nor do I know a lot about the series,stories,artists(Russ Heath was the main coversmith,no?),etc. I do know they are quite difficult to get in high grade and are fairly expensive in mid to high grade.The covers were all from painted artwork,right?They have that fine art look and feel to them.Also I hear the term "grey tone" a lot in connection with these books but not sure what it means(other than the obvious).

If this thread has been done before,please forgive.

Really love to see any scans of Sea Devils my fellow collectors have though! laugh.gif

You should check out this thread, some Sea Devils covers are shown.

Scuba Covers

For what it's worth, the Scuba Covers thread is one of my favorite threads in the entire forum. And not just because I started it either. There are some absolutely gorgeous covers there. yay.gif893applaud-thumb.gifcloud9.gif

Bboy I`m officially jealous of you.

Great books.They all look like solid higher grades too.Do you really have the entire run?I think #2 is my fav sd cover(with #7 the wave man coming in second).

Thanks for posting them.

Rhinoooooooo.....Is that lovely 3 from your collection?Thanks for posting,bro.

Great books.They all look like solid higher grades too.Do you really have the entire run?I think #2 is my fav sd cover(with #7 the wave man coming in second).

Thanks for posting them.

If those books make you jealous, you should see the rest of his collection. Ask him about the grade his FF#11 got. blush.gif

Thanks for posting them.

If those books make you jealous, you should see the rest of his collection. Ask him about the grade his FF#11 got. blush.gif

How about it oh burnt one? Care to enlighten me on that FF#11? *coughscancoughcough*

here's five covers i posted eaerlier from my complete sea devils collection.

these were all purchased fron Sid's Luncheonette on Orange , NJ...........

1097034337999_Sea_Devils.jpg

1098316188057_Sea_Devils_001.jpg

1097381544071_Sea_Devils_002.jpg

1097763478842_Sea_Devils_003.jpg

1095716718589_Sea_Devils_004.jpg

Russ heath! 'Nuff Said! cloud9.gif

It is! I don't have a run of them like bboy, I agree his are SWEET!

Like FFB and his gal PSI3000, my wife and I are hardcore scuba divers. I haven't started collecting scuba covers as mentioned and shown in the scuba covers thread (which is EXCELLENT by the way), but love 'em just the same.

Thanks for posting them.

How about it oh burnt one? Care to enlighten me on that FF#11? *coughscancoughcough*

i was fortunate enough to keep many of my original purchase books in quite decent shape. the first book i sold on Pedigree comics was FF#11. i got the call from CGC that they wanted more money to grade it based on the grade they assigned. grin.gif

it got a 9.4 with off-white pages. turned out to be only the 4th copy graded that high so far. sold almost immediately for $10k. rumor has it that it might go on sale next year for quite a bit more than that............unfortunately when you start out that high there's no where to go but down............. frown.gif

and, yes i have every issue of Sea Devils. i liked them and the cover artwork by russ heath was awesome..........

Nothing like bumping a thread from 2004 but no reason to start a new one. I am in the process of scanning a majority of my collection that I haven't touched in over 20 years. It is a daunting task as I have nearly 15,000 books stored away. Half-way through my first box and I ran across a few issues of Sea Devils. I really never appreciated these books before but some of these Howard Purcell covers are stunning - especially the #22. Not going to post them all but here's a few. I love the big monster covers :cloud9:

seadevils22.jpg

seadevils28.jpg

seadevils29.jpg

seadevils30.jpg

seadevils31.jpg

seadevils35.jpg

Nothing like bumping a thread from 2004 but no reason to start a new one.

Bump away. I do it all the time.

I really never appreciated these books before....

Philistine! Sea Devils is one of my favourite titles and i need only #18 and #31 to complete my run.

...but some of these Howard Purcell covers are stunning.

I prefer the Russ Heath covers from earlier on in the run.

Would love to see what others have so let's show some Sea Devils and post away.

Will do!

:juggle: