• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

I think this site has too much emphasis on pics, trailers, tweets, reviews and box office numbers

Too many opinions are formed prior to a release, lines are drawn in the sand, then when anything close to affirmation happens after release, a big "I told you so" post is made

I get if you don't like a trailer, a director or an actor, the plot etc and don't plan to see a movie, but to make reviews as your basis on viewing a movie is foolish IMHO

I think we could all name at least 10 movies that weren't loved by movies that we've enjoyed immensely

Think Different

Not going to disagree, at one point I was making an honest attempt to watch all the movies that were nominated for best picture. Then I realized to me 90% of those movies sucked, so I have since stopped trying to see all those movies. But, like it or not word of mouth and reviews do affect the general public which does not have a vested interest in comic related films.

I usually don't pay much attention to RT when it comes to "critic" reviews. I think people are trashing the movie just to trash it. The score (as of right now) is a 9.0 on IMDB, which SHOULD be higher but people are giving the movie a ranking of 1/10 or 2/10. I don't believe for a second that anyone could hate this movie that much. Just my opinion.

One thing to consider as well is that a film's rating almost invariably falls from the earliest reviews -- since many of the early reviewers, particularly for genre films, are fans.

That's my fear here. The film's Rotten Tomato score has fallen from 40% last night to 36% just this morning, and only 25% of the total number of reviews are in -- most will come tomorrow.

And keep in mind, The Dark Knight was ultimately rated 94%, Dark Knight Rises 87% and Man of Steel 56%. Hell, even Amazing Spider-Man 2 clocked in at 53%.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the final critical consensus under 30%.

Maybe a turd's just a turd.

Nolan would have done a better job :whistle:

wsHDYtx.gif

He'd agree!

But I'm not giving up on Batman v Superman just yet. Too many actual movie-goers are saying positive things to judge just on critics. It's just not adding up as one-sided as someone stated.

Dang! Visuals over substance??!!

One gave it 2.8/5 Stars and the other gave it a 3.25/5 Stars.

:ohnoez:

This is the fellow that was negative toward Deadpool, and then went nuts over that film once he saw it. With his review of Batman v Superman, he:

- Loved Affleck Batman

- Loved Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman

- Was good with Henry Cavill as Superman

- Loved the Jeremy Iron's Alfred

- Really liked the final battle

- Disliked the piecing together of the film's story

- Was not onboard with Eisenberg completely due to some scenes

- Felt like rather than following the Deadpool approach (be a great stand-alone movie), it heavily focused on setting up the DCCU

- Overall Rating: C+

- Does still recommend seeing it as a comic book movie

:ohnoez:

One thing to consider as well is that a film's rating almost invariably falls from the earliest reviews -- since many of the early reviewers, particularly for genre films, are fans.

That's my fear here. The film's Rotten Tomato score has fallen from 40% last night to 36% just this morning, and only 25% of the total number of reviews are in -- most will come tomorrow.

And keep in mind, The Dark Knight was ultimately rated 94%, Dark Knight Rises 87% and Man of Steel 56%. Hell, even Amazing Spider-Man 2 clocked in at 53%.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the final critical consensus under 30%.

Maybe a turd's just a turd.

Spectre which is considered a mediocre James Bond movie clocked in at 64%!

Batman v Superman now at 36%! :o

I just hope Batman v. Superman is decent now.

like i said is starting to look like a is getting a mix reviews but at the end of the day i don't care what the reviews say. MOS had mix reviews but i love it and seen it over 15 times which it got better and better with each watch for me. that's why the same is going to be said about BvS 1st watch is going to be too much to follow by the 2nd watch a lot of the smaller things get to be seen and understood.

I think this site has too much emphasis on pics, trailers, tweets, reviews and box office numbers

Too many opinions are formed prior to a release, lines are drawn in the sand, then when anything close to affirmation happens after release, a big "I told you so" post is made

I get if you don't like a trailer, a director or an actor, the plot etc and don't plan to see a movie, but to make reviews as your basis on viewing a movie is foolish IMHO

I think we could all name at least 10 movies that weren't loved by movies that we've enjoyed immensely

Think Different

Rotten Tomatoes is usually right on target,hence Fantastic Four with it`s 9%,than again I did enjoy TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION at 18% where just about everybody else hated it. hm

The Superhero News team saw the movie as well.

Mixed feelings about what they saw. Calling it 'epic - but...' where there were amazing scenes mixed with what felt like something that had a cut scene that now wants you to see the Ultimate Edition.

Overall Rating: See it. But expect that you are going to want to see it again just to understand better all that is presented.

(shrug)

like i said is starting to look like a is getting a mix reviews but at the end of the day i don't care what the reviews say. MOS had mix reviews but i love it and seen it over 15 times which it got better and better with each watch for me. that's why the same is going to be said about BvS 1st watch is going to be too much to follow by the 2nd watch a lot of the smaller things get to be seen and understood.

+ 1

I love the Man of Steel movie, even with a few of its flaws. So I am still excited to see this movie Friday night.

+ 1

I love the Man of Steel movie, even with a few of its flaws. So I am still excited to see this movie Friday night.

+1

thats why i always think that doing it like Marvel is never the only answer sometime it has to be different enough.

+ 1

I loved Man of Steel as well. I wonder what it is that is turning off some of the critics about this movie?

I hope it isn`t Ben Affleck as Batman. To me the Nolan Trilogy was a masterpiece. The pinnacle of superhero movies. Bale was great. Anybody else playing Batman is going to be looked at differently.

+ 1

I loved Man of Steel as well. I wonder what it is that is turning off some of the critics about this movie?

I hope it isn`t Ben Affleck as Batman. To me the Nolan Trilogy was a masterpiece. The pinnacle of superhero movies. Bale was great. Anybody else playing Batman is going to be looked at differently.

it looks like everbody like batman

+ 1

it looks like everbody like batman

If not that than what is causing the mediocre reviews?

Woke up and see a continuance, a bit of a consensus, on the reviews that are thus far in now. Campea said he enjoyed the film, but it should be said that leading up to movie he, and the two Schmoes (who are part of RT aggregate) were as excited and pumped about this movie as anyone, and for them to come out really middleground says a lot IMHO in terms of just looking at reviews, obviously it's not, and nobody is insinuating it should replace seeing it with your own eyes.

I'm going to be honest, most of what seems to be the shared opinions thus far sounds just like a typical Zack Snyder movie - spectacle, at times visually interesting, but otherwise lacking. That's just who he is, or has been. He's not a character/storyteller that later got big budgets to make them come to to life (Whedon), he's a spectacle director.

It's felt like DC has been looking for a leader in their cinematic DCU, they offered it to Nolan who declined, and I'm just not sure Snyder was the guy I'd have come back too especially with Justice League.

I'm still on the Billion dollar side here but stress if it doesn't hit that this is going to be disastrous, because if it doesn't make that big splash we can already see it's not going to be a top flight critical hit relative to comic book movies. For this to both be critically panned and to not maintain recent history of Batman $, which is DC's crown jewel which they kind of stuck in this movie because Man of Steel did not perform as well as they hoped (it still made a ton, just not as much as they thought), people are going to roll and a TREMENDOUS amount of pressure is put on Suicide Squad (which I actually think will be good).

We live in a world where sort of not good movies like Ultron make a Billion. The last Fast and Jurassic Park made a Billion at record paces and Deadpool, which cost like 60 million dollars is gonna pass 3/4 of a Billion worldwide WITHOUT China.

Hey, I'm still going to see is strong tho because I gotta go see Wonder Woman, and I actually think Affleck can pull of Batman. I'm hoping it is at least interesting and a tablesetter.

Right now though I'm still on the optimistic side with Box Office. Too big to fail.

lol! From some of the reviews, maybe Snyder actually made that sequel to Suckerpunch that he always wanted, but fooled the studio into thinking it actually had something to do with Batman and Superman.

Think Different

This.

:applause: